Never pay for advice or education

Hey Mr. JackMarkets,

I am just curious, please don’t take it personally but what is it with you and your “myfxbook” ? lol… It seems to me that this is the only rule that you base on… How about those people who teaches who doesn’t have myfxbook but they have trained their students and who are successful traders… have you consider that? I am sure they are out there…

Sorry, I deleted that part of my post because I re-read it and it sounded obnoxious - I didn’t mean anything by it. Believe it or not, I have met people in their 50s who go back to work for someone and even who start off at a more junior level - but that might just be the line of work I do (yes they do look odd being at the same level of people in their 20s). Divorce (loneliness and boredom rather than expense), mid life crisis, and probably a load of other reasons.

And, no of course I have not met anyone who offers a training program with any transparent trading record, let alone earning $75k. In fact I am very disparaging of the pay for teachers on this forum because they have no trading records (I’ll mention them again by name: Chris Capre Nial Fuller, DNB Price trading, Jonathon Fox, PeteFader), and even most of the no pay ones (ICT, eremarkets, MG99, tmoneybags).

So if you like you can win the debate (or we can give it to Mr Furry for his ridiculous statements).

But I was hoping that Lone Wolf Trader would be the first successful trader but you guys chased him away :frowning:

Maybe I work for myfxbook and am trying to gain them customers? Lol.

The internet is so overweight with make believe that its impossible to trust anything - you for instance may be a girl. The only thing I believe is stats. Not testimonials, not boasts, not appeals, not retrospective screenshots, not excel spreadsheets, just stats.

[QUOTE=“JackMarkets;520617”]
But I was hoping that Lone Wolf Trader would be the first successful trader but you guys chased him away :([/QUOTE]

He made another thread in the journal section after his advertising thread was deleted… I’m sure he would like some encouragement lol… Probably sulking a bit after getting his hand slapped.

Stats?? Okay, got it…

No Not sulking at all. Doing just fine in fact, thanks for your concern.

This should go right on the top of the newbie section…why on earth would you want to pay for a course that’s taught by a bad trader? You would have a better time watching breaking bad than for the lousy trader to provide you with anything that results in pips…

I somewhat agree with the OP. If a trader is successful, then why bother teaching? But then you have successful people like Jack Schwager, Van Tharp, Alexander Elder, and even Jesse Livermore publishing books / courses and helping fellow traders.

You are making an assumption that once a trader is successful then they’re set for life.

This couldn’t be further from the truth.

Trading can be a lonely and isolating pursuit. The idea of mixing up one’s day by mentoring other appreciative up and coming traders seems feasible to me.

The same thought process can be applied to this forum. Why would someone that has the ability to trade profitably contribute on a public forum? Why would they waste their time?

Because there is more to life than generating pips and watching your balance grow.

Hallo Gents and Lady,

Please don’t take this personally, but allow me to disagree with your viewpoint(s).

First off, (esp to really build up the “don’t take this personally”), I read your threads, find them interesting, even the “entertaining” ones ( where you’re ganging up on someone, but that’s neither here nor there… )

Granted: Forex has about the most charlatans compared to any other business

Granted: One can teach themselves this business and become quite good at it, esp with ALL the FREE resources on the Internet

BUT:

Forex also has a lot of genuine traders & teachers

It is ‘narrow’ to think that everyone’s sole motivation in life is purely money. This is especially more true when the money angle is already taken care of. ( If you got shocked at that, then this one’s for you: YouTube ).

Training/education/tutoring/mentoring when done right ALWAYS speeds up progress.

Q: As a kid in school, when you can already read and write, why do you need teachers?
Q: When learning any skill (e.g playing an instrument), why do you need a coach/master/teacher?

Answer: Because LEFT TO YOURSELF you would most probably take an INORDINATE AMOUNT OF TIME to get the hang of what you are trying to do. Where would our human race be if we had to re-learn what previous generations had already mastered? I respectfully submit to you that the same applies in the [B]Forex business.[/B]

If I can learn from someone who’s been there, and won’t have to go through the entire Internet resources (and years of failure/struggle), then WE are all the BETTER for it.
NOTE: this is NOT an excuse for lack of INITIATIVE, and HUSTLE. If anything, lack of the same would have the student quickly separated from the mentor. We can all tell someone who’s not doing their homework and expecting to be spoon-fed. This is not about defending that type of person. [B]It’s about showing what effect a mentor/teacher can have on someone who is already seeking out mastery on their own.[/B]

ABOUT THE PAYMENT ANGLE:

Granted: there are many who are simply out to sell people snake oil in the name of forex education.

Granted: there are many who after MAKING IT in Forex ( or anything ) will simple keep UNDERCOVER and never show anyone how to get there themselves.

BUT:

There ARE genuine paid-for online courses.

There are MANY who after making it GOOD will share the same info freely with others. This is not a mutually exclusive business, why would I be worried to tell you how to make it?, it’s not like you earning pips prevents me from doing so.

I hear you ask: Why make someone pay $300 if I am making over $75k from my own trading?

Well, for one: how many times has your commitment to a cause only come about from the fact that it COST YOU SOMETHING? As a mentor, wouldn’t one want to secure the mind and commitment of those he’s tutoring? (saves time and frustration for everyone involved).

If I am both a good trader and good mentor, why not make money out of it as well? AFTER ALL, Forex is a BUSINESS, every saving adds up ( isn’t that why we take care to cover for the spread in our trades when setting break-even? )

1 (new) student per month @ $300 can cover for many business costs ( Virtual Private Server subscriptions, website hosting, etc ), while still doing one angle of what one loves (i.e, mentoring/teaching).

LASTLY: let me say that we all have different trading systems/techniques. Not everyone trades EVERYDAY.
For example: with my trading method, I’ve only had 4 trades this slow August.

What does one do with the rest of the time? ( esp if you are a FULL TIME trader ). Sure, you can troll threads on forums;…or you can start your OWN thread and help people get where you are faster [ like: Nikita, DnB, Goldenmember, Johnathon Fox, ILovePizza (surely) ]… Or you can start another enterprise in the form of a forex school/mentoring service, where people’s commitment is secured via a fee (that also covers for your extra effort).

Always two sides to a coin people…
There’s more to life than a purposeless unitary profit motive…

Cheers

What matters is who has better knowledge of the game.

Look into sports. There are top level coaches who have never enjoyed success as a player.

Even if the coaches were never top quality players are still able to serve properly - or hit a decent forehand and were basically head and shoulders above your average casual player. Many teacher traders are ‘unable to hit the ball over the net’ or they “serve underarm” and still double fault.

@dudest - good points that I agree with - but why don’t these pay for teachers have verified results?

I agree on “many”, but OP argueed “all” which I believe is not necessarily true. (As I already stated before).

What is a good trader? I would say one who makes moeny by trading.
What is a good tennis player? I would say one who is making money playing tennis.

I doubt that one can get that far with only proper serve and decent forehand.

What I am trying to say is that you would never get a tennis coach that can’t demonstrate that they can hit a serve properly or hit a decent forehand.

With trading you should never get a forex coach who cannot demonstrate they make a profit trading over a reasonable time.

Looks like my thread brought both sides to the table rather fast :). In the end it comes down to personal choice and if you want to believe an illusion go for it. Some may feel better to pay x-amount for a course and who am I to tell them not to waste their money. As long as you get the results you want, keep at it.

Look… I have never paid a single cent for education and I don’t advise anyone to do so.

What made me post here is poor (or more likely lack of any valid) argumentation by certain users and use of words “never”, “all”, etc.

[QUOTE=“dudest;520883”]

There ARE genuine paid-for online courses.

[/QUOTE]

Give an example of one whose instructor has a transparent and audited trade history showing performance of over $75k a year… You can’t… And that’s my point. Someone who is making that much money from trading (thereby qualifying himself as the only kind worth paying to learn from) isn’t teaching courses for money… Unless you can show me otherwise its useless to debate this point.

Someone who was making $75k a year and who was teaching a course would gladly volunteer that info in his sales pitch for recruiting new sucke… Errr students. It would be quite the powerful advertisement.

Sure there can be “good” paid for courses… If someone took babypips school and re-worded it… They could sell it and it would be “good”… The point is you can find all the info you need to be successful at this game for free. Seriously…

The people that are saying that its ok to be paying for training are taking a theoretical stance… Yes… Theoretically there could be traders who are actually making $75k+ a year and who are operating train for money programs… The reality is that these are virtually non-existent.

[QUOTE=“dudest;520883”]

Always two sides to a coin people…
There’s more to life than a purposeless unitary profit motive…

Cheers[/QUOTE]

This is called philanthropy… And if a successful trader wants to philanthropically teach… Then he doesn’t charge a fee lol.

There is enough collective information on the Internet to give a novice trader who has access to Google one heck of a training package… For free. It’s all there… Why would you pay for something when you can get something for free? Boggles my mind.

Yeah, like “Stats”…lots and lots of stats… A new vocabulary that I have learn from here… Stats…I’ll say no more Lol

I think so many fail to understand this point which is exactly why I started this thread, but apparently most still struggle with this.

I agree with you. Great Post and Thanks for sharing the video