Never pay for advice or education

Good one mate. 1+ here

[QUOTE=“kashif314;526189”]I don’t understand why it is so hard for people to understand paying for Forex education. People pay for cooking classes, Piano classes, computer classes so why not paying for Forex? If someone is offering you his time and valuable tuition then he deserves a nominal fee for that. Not everybody out there is a scammer. We don’t mind paying school or college fee so why it is not advisable to pay someone who is offering you his services in Forex?[/QUOTE]

What exactly do you expect from a forex course that you pay for…?

You will pay someone to give you material that you will have to read and figure out on your own… Which is exactly what you get if you know where to find google (just google it if you don’t) and enter in a few search queries on how to trade forex.

You can watch piano teachers play… You can eat the food of cooks… You can judge how good they are at their profession by watching them perform… You can’t with trading gurus who want your money to “teach” you.

Essentially you are going to someone… Giving them money… And they give you a package of material they skimmed from the same online resources you can find for free… That is what 95% of the “pay to learn how to trade courses” are.

I challenge anyone to provide me with information they got from a “pay for training” course on forex (if its a valid piece of information)… And I will find the exact same information online for free… I will even provide the link to it as well.

I disagree - you’re overlooking one point: watching piano teachers play and eating the food of cooks to judge their profession usually is no freebie either. So one target to pay for forex training/mentoring etc. may be to get a selection out of this large internet mambo-jambo, where (nearly) everyone is telling the truth about his latest holy grail.

You won’t look for a piano-player or teacher among the street musicians, but probably at concert halls or similar places.

Adding, getting any free information doesn’t mean, you’re able to implement it and adapt it to your personal needs. I’d say, for example paying for a psychologist, who knows financial markets and problems of human mind, often would be a very successful investment, even this trainer don’t teach or sell any system to trade.

Interpreting your post - I would regret, if you made a lot of bad experience with fx teaching.

josch

[QUOTE=“josch;526401”]

I disagree - you’re overlooking one point: watching piano teachers play and eating the food of cooks to judge their profession usually is no freebie either.[/QUOTE]

Uhhh yeh it is free… A student with any reasonable amount of common sense will interview several piano teachers, And these will more then willingly oblige to demonstrate their proficiencies for free.

[QUOTE=“josch;526401”]
You won’t look for a piano-player or teacher among the street musicians, but probably at concert halls or similar places.
[/QUOTE]

If this were to be an analogy to finding a trading teacher… You would be going to an investment bank like Citi or Deutsche bank to find a guru… Lol let me know how that goes.

[QUOTE=“josch;526401”]
Interpreting your post - I would regret, if you made a lot of bad experience with fx teaching.
[/QUOTE]

I have no experience whatsoever with paying for a trading teacher… Everything that is needed to trade the market successfully can be found online for free.

Again…

I challenge anyone to provide me with information they got from a “pay for training” course on forex (if its a valid piece of information)… And I will find the same information online for free… I will even provide the link to it as well.

I am going to disagree just a bit here Pizza… not that the info isn’t freely available, it is. Sometimes putting the [I]correct[/I] info together into a viable trading methodology is the hard part. Sure, given enough time and effort many are able to become self-taught trading geniuses. Shortening the steep learning curve, however, might enable a dedicated trading novice to become profitable much, much sooner. The expense of paid teaching could accelerate the profitability and thus pay the cost of learning many times over.

There is a trader here at BP that appears to be successful – to keep it generic I will not mention him by name. You can read this trader’s posts. They cover everything there is about his methods. Still, they were confusing, even to me, someone who has been trading for many years. There are videos of his methods available. There are links to free resources to his methods, provided by this trader, saying, essentially, everything is here and everything is free (even he agrees with you to a point). There are ongoing discussions about this trader’s methods – all free. Ask a question and he will answer. There are also paid “lessons” of a sort for those who wish to use them (not advertised on BP) which include watching the guy trade live and explaining, step by step, what, when, where, why and how. Not because the info isn’t freely available – he gives it to you – but just to help accelerate the rather steep learning process (and make a profit – I didn’t fall off the turnip truck yesterday).

I have not taken advantage of the paid services this trader offers only because I was, after a lot reading and chart time, able to put most of the pieces together. Had I taken advantage of them, however, that learning curve may have been greatly reduced enabling me to profit from these methods sooner. Unlike me, a trading novice would have an even tougher time of understanding this method because it is quite counter-intuitive.

Because I haven’t taken advantage of these paid services, to be fair to your point, I may not have learned damned thing so I hope you are happy. I have confused myself:56:

To follow on from John. The potential problem as I see it is… who to buy a course from? Having never bought one, I’d guess if I wound the clock back, I’d be looking for a bona fide long term verified (20 years or so) top draw institutional trader. I figure, if your looking to clone success, drink at the right trough! :smiley:

There are quite a few successful institutional traders with verified track records who have written books, etc. If followed, their methods will usually give you nice 20-40% returns annually. But this is forex man! Or have you forgotten? This is where newcomers want 20-40% returns DAILY:18:

The answer is simple: Those who offer you to teach have failed as traders otherwise they would not teach so if you want to learn how to fail as a trader go ahead and pay. Having said that, you can fail on your own and don’t need another failed trader to teach you how.

Now, after a lot of interesting posts, all seems being said, even by some experienced members, leaving below the line 2 contrary opinions, both appropriate justified.

… No, I don’t want to finish this interesting thread :wink:

josch

I think you have a point, however I’ve yet to buy a book or attended a lesson that was worth my money, because i could’ve just as well saw a you tube video that explained pretty much the same thing, what I am against is being fooled into thinking that once you learn you will be able to profit, or the empty promises that cost you a lot of money for nothing and also the high expectations of first time traders. I don’t want people to get blinded and fooled into thinking there is one secret strategy that will unveil to them the key to successful trading. The truth is there isn’t a secret magic instant recipe to making a lot of money!

I agree with your comment… But some people fall in that trap… actually if you will increase your knowledge and if you can apply it in proper way then you will be success. Otherwise not

I believe you need a proper education to be successful

The basic concept of this thread was “Never Pay for Forex education” and I think discussion is going a little otherway. I agree that experienced traders should guide others for free.

Ok, I’ll play Devils Advocate. Why? Experienced traders have almost certainly earned their ‘stripes’ with ten’s of thousands of hours screen time over many years! Is it too much to expect Newb’s not to do the same? What’s in it for the experienced trader? Good Karma? :stuck_out_tongue: Other than this, I see no upside? Over the years I’ve spent on BP I have been PM’d by half a dozen would be traders asking for coaching and excepted. It starts off well but quickly they either fade away or start ‘tweaking’ parameters. In either event, they fade away without so much as a ‘Thanks’. Proffer advice on an open thread and your as likely to get ‘trolled’ as you are ‘liked’. :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree with a lot of comments on this thread. Most of the information you need to trade and make profits is available online for free. It’s just up to you to put in the work and screen time, as well as practice discipline and risk management, and the profits will come. You’re better off putting that money in a trade account instead of paying for a “100% profitable system” :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=“R Carter;526902”]

Ok, I’ll play Devils Advocate. Why?[/QUOTE]

Ego and boredom.

Pizza mentioned ego. That is it, primarily, for many.

Back in the 1970’s a horse bettor named Andy Beyer came up with a way of calculating speed figures that took various things such as track conditions, class of competition and other things into consideration for American Horse racing and tied up into one neat little number. He made a very good living betting the ponies with his technique. Knowing he had the “holy grail” for horse betting he just HAD to tell the world how great he was and how he unlocked the key to making money at the track. So, he wrote a book, “Picking Winners,” where he detailed how he created his numbers. It became the biggest selling handicapping book of all time and many started creating their own “Beyer Speed Figures.”

Of course, the payouts on the Beyer-selected horses dropped dramatically since horse wagering in the States is pari mutual. Then the Daily Racing Form picked up his numbers and now the key to making money at the races is to bet AGAINST the highest Beyer Speed Figure.

So why did Andy Beyer publish his highly profitable method? He has stated why many times. His ego got the better of him.

Edward Thorpe did much the same thing when it came to counting cards in blackjack back in the 1960’s.

I think the same is probably true of a number of profitable traders as well. It is just part of human nature, I guess.

So … I should not look into purchasing an Advanced Price Action course through 2ndSkies? I believe you’re right in that most info out there is available for free, but really, Im finding mountains and I dont know which one to climb. I started going one way to hear that that was wrong, to hear it was right, to hear it was wrong and so on on on.

I felt like a guide could shorten my learning curve.

Investing in yourself is a good idea. I’m not sure if those forex traning are useful, but since people keep providing them, it means that somebody goes there and pays money for. Otherwise I see no reasons to keep providing them!

[QUOTE=“Sketchie;527001”]So … I should not look into purchasing an Advanced Price Action course through 2ndSkies? I believe you’re right in that most info out there is available for free, but really, Im finding mountains and I dont know which one to climb. I started going one way to hear that that was wrong, to hear it was right, to hear it was wrong and so on on on.

I felt like a guide could shorten my learning curve.[/QUOTE]

If you paid for enough trading guides you would find just as much conflicting information from them as you would browsing the Internet…

No I would not purchase anything from 2ndSkies… I have a high degree of confidence that i can find for free on the internet all the info he will give you. If you do not have the attention span or the ability to find the information you need for free on the Internet… The chances of you making it big in the market is minuscule.