Newbie: Seeking for advice

Hello! I’m a newbie here! Happy to found this community. I hope I can learn my profitable trading here. :slight_smile: I’ve been in a practice trading for months now. I’m also familiar to some indicators. May I ask your advice what is the effective indicators for a newbie to use?

Thank you. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome to the community Gly! Learning how to use effectively moving averages as dynamic support and resistance is a good start. Then use price action to trade. I can suggest a book if you want to know more about price action. As for other indicators, bollinger bands, MACD, parabolic sar, rsi are easy to understand and use. Learn from the books, but do independent back testing to see if it fits your personality.

Happy learning!

2 Likes

Hey there Gly, happy to answer any questions as I went through what you are going through now. So much info out there its hard to know what has value.

1 Like

RSI is simplest and quickest to come to understand. Make sure you also understand why it gives false signals and don’t rely on it blindly, look at price first - if price doesn’t show a good probability of a profitable trade, then no indicator will make it better.

Whichever indicator you use, select and use one only. Add another if you must do but preferably only after you’re already profitable. If you’re winning, a second indicator can help you find good trades and increase your consistency and profitability, but one more indicator doesn’t mean going from losing to winning and profit is not in proportion to the number of indicators you can find.

1 Like

This! I use RSI, but only to give me a further reason to enter a trade which I have already identified from a clean chart. If I see what I think is a setup, then I will look to build my case for taking it. S&R are my primary, but RSI is next.

1 Like

Try to use SMA 200 on daily charts and 9 EMA on 1M and 5M timeframes. But the issue of using indicators is very specific and depends mostly on the your strategy. Every indicator is just an additional tool that can be used to increase accuracy.

Blimey JC, how many people have you come across who are profitable on 1 minute and 5 minute time-frames?

1 Like

Welcome to the forum. From my point of view, working with more than one indicator can actually help you to work efficiently as relying on one indicator can be risky. I favor candlestick charting as one of the most useful tools so far. Traders can have different choice also.

I literally don’t think I have ever even bothered opening a 1 minute chart in all the years I have been trading. Respect to those who can make that work!

2 Likes

Thank you. :slight_smile: There’s so much info on what indicators I have to use. I don’t know anymore what to use. Hoping I can develop my own trading plan/system.

Hello! I’d appreciate it much if you can suggest a book as you said. :slight_smile:

There are so many indicator available in forex trading platform, I think better to understand about function each indicator, and trying that necessary to use because if using so many indicator beside make you felt confuse also will make slow responding platform trading, and with longtime experience seriously learning, you will find something lesson on your trading journey

1 Like

Using too many indicators at the same time make beginners confuse most of the time, so make sure specific indicator and focus on this. hope , it will bring something good.

1 Like

What do you think is the easiest indicator to understand?

For basic price action, i suggest reading The Candlestick Trading Bible by munehisa homma, for mind setting, Ego is the enemy by ryan holiday and New Market Wizards by jack schwager. There are a lot other books but that list is a good start. Happy reading! you can search for fx trade hall in facebook for more reading material. enjoy learning!

1 Like

Different indicators work better on different time frames. Any indicator you use is meant to help you in your decision on what, how or if you want to trade a particular pair. Price moves only 3 ways: Up, Down or Sideways. I started with this and I use it today. 3 ,moving averages on a 1 hour time frame as an anchor to give me an idea of where price is intraday. If price is above its moving up, below it’s moving down lines are close sideways.

But you can use:CCI, MACD, ZIG Zag, etc. to give you same info. There’s indicators for Trend, Strength, Cycle, Support and Resistance. All meant to help you with should I or shouldn’t I take this trade or any trade.

Hope that helps.
Gp

1 Like

The Candlestick Trading Bible is an excellent suggestion,that’s one of my current reads right now

1 Like

First book now added to my trading wishlist. Thanks.

Thanks for bringing the topic @Gly , never realise that I needed this.
Welcome to Babypips.

1 Like

There is nothing easiest chapter in this trading place, every faction in here contains huge risk, so make sure good practice for indicator or strategy. Hope, you will bring good result from trading.

Also, for anyone that doesn’t mind reading books online, pdfdrive.com is a great site to download FREE books :slight_smile:

1 Like