Newbies.... Stop being befuddled by charts

@Blade_Forex, Signals are derived from price being above or below the MA20… not on the 20…

Maybe in future actually read the WHOLE thread… Good Luck

1 Like

@Ihe, you can find an Indicator for MT4 in the post linked below…

Please read this image to understand how to apply the Indicator to your Charts… PM me if you wish.

Edit: I have contacted the Moderators to find out why the Strategy (image) cannot be enlarged…

1 Like

I use Traders Way as my Broker, they give you the option to switch your Fix or VAR account to No Swap Mode. Not sure if you can do it with a ECN Account.

I hope this helps you?

1 Like

You just have to eat certain costs as a trader. If you’re a daily trader these costs should be small enough that they don’t affect your overall performance too much.

1 Like

Can you please send me the indicator for c trader as well. Thanks

1 Like

Would someone please tell me the exact rules for that strategy ? i read bits and pieces in the thread here. I realy want to try it and reply back

1 Like

May i add, Where is that currency strength indicator ?

1 Like

It looks to me that your trying to sell an indicator or advocate for some reason. I guess nothing wrong with that, but it is common knowledge that the sma is probably the most trusted indicator there is. Research shows that the sma is consistently more reliable in gaining profit than any other. Look at history on indicators and trading. There really is nothing new here, many traders use line charts rather than candles, which line charts smooth the price action and are closer to it than the sma. But the SMA is worth looking at because they are historically the most trusted. Good for practice.

1 Like

Another member that doesn’t bother to read threads in their entirety before posting… Nothing to sell, all the Indicators I have linked in this forum are FREE… I don’t understand how hard this is for some to comprehend.

It is common knowledge that the MA20 is ONE of the most trusted Indicators… hence I have simplified it even further by using a single MA to confirm both Up and Down trends…

Just a simple Green if it’s going up, which signals a BUY and Red if it’s going down which signifies a SELL… breathtakingly simple…

Then you just add price into the mix to confirm the MA Slope Signal… Below the MA20 is a SELL… Above the MA20 is a BUY…breathtakingly simple…

No confusing MA Crosses to add confusion to trading… And I don’t suggest just using the SMA, also trial the EMA20 or the WMA20, each can add a slightly different character to the trading style…

Appreciate your validation of this simple strategy… There is nothing new, but feel free to point to threads which displays this system elsewhere in the Babypips forums. More information is always helpful.

3 Likes

As someone who uses the SMA/MA crossover in one of my main strategies I can say its probably been my most successful strategies to date. I completely agree, it’s all about KISS (Keep. It. Simple. Stupid.). I think most traders try to jumble up their screens with like 10+ indicators and they just end up throwing themselves off and not seeing the clear picture. You don’t need all of that to figure where price is going or might be going. I’m a simple man, I literally have one strategy that takes BB, RSI, & Stochastic and the other is SMA/MA crossover. I don’t like to overcomplicate my style.

2 Likes

Hello,

Could you share the indicator or mention the post with it?

1 Like

@Trendswithbenefits,

Thanks for the free indicator that you aren’t selling!! :laughing:

I was one of the original downloaders! Had incorporated it with my strat but am going to demo it in the extreme and take everything off my chart. After spinning a number of pairs back and walking them forward I can see how it would eliminate overthinking!

I’ll start this week and check back in a bit!!

KC

2 Likes

Thanks for this thread, which I am just reading (in its entirety :slight_smile: ) over the weekend.

@Trendswithbenefits
Where does your currency strength index come from?

Can’t find that one. I used to use currency indices on tradingview (AXY, BXY, CXY, EXY, JXY, SXY, ZXY and XAUWCU, in addition to DXY). Insightful but so many charts add a lot of complexity to the mix!

I’ve downloaded the MT4 indicator you linked to & getting ready to use it in my trading on Monday!

A couple of practical comments:

-As someone said, SMA is not new. What’s new & exciting is having a clear visible indication of when the SMA is rising and when it’s falling.

-SMA is a lagging indicator. My analysis provides a leading indicator, but there’s almost always a time gap between first signal generation and best time to take action. Too often, that caused me to jump the gun on entry, and I’d be vulnerable to whipsaw as a result. That would lead to missing out on trades and/or losing money. By adding the color-coding to the SMA (which I already use), my plan is to get an early signal, which will put the security on my radar, then I will wait for the color-coded SMA rising/falling signal to provide an actionable entry point in real time.

-I only use SMA, not EMA, as a matter of personal preference. If I want to emphasize longer or shorter time frames in a market, I take a look at a higher or lower degree fractal pattern than the degree I’m actually trading. Again, just my preference.

3 Likes

PS: Thanks again for this thread & the link for the indicator on MT4!

1 Like

First look at this with market open is revealing:

I will use CANDLES for ANALYSIS (all charts, all time frames on tradingview)

but switch to LINE CHARTS for TRADING (30m chart on MT4 for swing trading cycles that complete, from low to low, in about 5-10 days). This should provide a simple, basic and consistently profitable plan to trade a manageable time frame, with the rising/falling SMA providing entries and exits on a smaller time frame, regardless of larger scale trends on the one hand, and filtering out market noise on the other.

For more advanced trading, I think this system can be used on any time frame, so ideally you can figure out the highest trending time frame as an overarching trade, and make corresponding entries and exits – including trading counter trend moves – while keeping a core position intact.

This should answer the question of when to buy dips during an uptrend, and when to sell rallies during a downtrend.

If it works on one time frame, it should work on all time frames.

1 Like

I wish they’d actually answered your question, in addition to posting some actual trade results.

3 Likes

Hi @Trendswithbenefits, when I follow this link and click on the download for when you already have MT4, my Mac comes up with the following error in Safari: “Safari can’t open mql4buy://17507.XLV4%20Moving%20Average%20Color/free because macOS doesn’t recognise Internet addresses starting with ‘mql4buy:’.”. I have ‘Wine’ downloaded onto my Mac which usually allows me to run Windows based applications on my Mac. Any advice? Thank you in advance

1 Like

Hi, are you able to tell me exactly how to use this method. It appears much easier to read than charts.

1 Like

Hi @Edward1904, Please read the entire thread, method is demonstrated numerous times, Cheers.

There are 58 replies with an estimated read time of 8 minutes.

1 Like

I’m going to be testing this strategy this whole week with eur/usd on a 1 hr chart. So far I have been stopped out twice, but that could be the fault of the colored SMA I was using on tradingview repainting. I have scrapped that indicator.

Though the biggest reason I have been stopped out I’d assume is because your entry obviously isn’t exactly where the MA line is, it’s above or below depending on a buy or sell signal. For instance, on my first buy, by the time the MA turned green, the actual price was already 29 pips above the MA, only for me to enter, and for it to fall and hit my SL of 32 pips within a couple hours. Same exact thing with the second signal - a false sell signal.

Other than these issues, I look forward to testing the idea. I plan on taking every trade the signal provides the week.

1 Like