Order Flow Trading

Yes, I am.

Hmm, I would guess 40 % futures - 60 % FX. But when the FX markets were slow (2nd half of 2012), I traded 90 % futures and 10 % FX, so it really depends on the market environment.

I assume the futures market is much thicker, so Iā€™m unclear what the ramifications are. Maybe there are none and I am not seeing the wood from the trees. I appreciate the futures market is more trackable in terms of volume, other than that thoughā€¦

Do you have any heads up for a spot trader moving into the futures market?

I donā€™t feel comfortable trading CFDs. It looks shady to me, so I prefer to trade futures contracts. For me sentiment is mostly easier to determine on assets like ES than in FX, but this really depends on the trader. Others will have difficulties trading ES, but do well in FX.

The biggest advantage for me is that I can switch between the two markets and various asset classes as market environment changes. Like I mentioned before, when FX was slow and difficult to trade during the 2nd half of 2012, I almost completely traded futures (stock indices, commodities).

My advice: OFT methods work equally well in futures markets and other asset classes, so I would focus just on the basics of futures contracts. Get familiar with the contract specifications, basic exchange rules and various order types used in futures markets. Then, pick a platform and get a demo account if you can. Demo trade and get familiar with the platform. And yeah, the DOM is fancy to watch, but donā€™t read too much into it! :wink:

I think thatā€™s the crux of my problem with the futures market at the moment: Gauging sentiment. I understand what affects the sentiment of currencies in forex, but I havenā€™t a translation of this as to what affects ES, YM or any other futures contract.

I sympathise this is a Trading 101 question, but are there any key differences between the asset classes for what drives sentiment within them?

The question Iā€™m trying to ask is, what makes ES/YM easier to gauge, other than them not being OTC?

If you can gauge sentiment for FX, you should have no problems doing the same for Futures.

Pick first only one asset you want to trade (i.e. ES or YM). If you decide for stock indices, check the news on popular US sites like CNBC and Bloomberg, which focus more heavily on US-related news. Keep it simple and focus on the key topics and what most traders are looking at. Combined with sentiment from the Asian and European equity markets and broad risk appetite (flows into safe-havens -> Bonds & USD [B]OR[/B] into high-yield assets?), youā€™ll get an idea what the current bias is.

The last few weeks were ridiculously easy for trading ES & YM, sentiment was positive and most of the days were clear ā€œbuysā€. I agree that stock markets are too high given current fundamentals, but why fight it? Rather go with momentum and make money to the upside until you can. Thatā€™s the beauty of day trading.

I can tell you only that much, the best thing for you to do is open a demo account and start practice. You will already get a good feeling for the market you are trading after short time. Just stick to one asset in the beginning.

If you have any other questions, let me know. :slight_smile:

Hi Dali,

Using your orderflow system,

1. how do you personally determine where to put your stops?
  2. What is the average pip size of your stops?

Cheers

On average I would say 30-40 pips, can be as low as 20 pips. If Iā€™m hunting stops and momentum fails to build, I have no reason to hold the trade for too long. The same applies when fading counter-sentiment stop hunts, if momentum isnā€™t building quickly in your direction, you have little reason to be in the trade.

Hi Dali,

1. And also may i ask what is you standard bread and butter risk to reward (R:R) in comparison to your stop loss on average? I know it can be annoying i ask you one direction at a time but as I trade now your methodology, questions comes to me each time i implement your system and it doesnā€™t come all to me at once.

I know that sometimes you may let it run and the RR may not be able to be calculated but can you give me some guidance so that i have rough template to work with?

1. When trading your methodology do you personally set a profit target in advance as well as the stop loss?

I am saving your advice and gems away into my notebook.

Thank you Ben for personally pointing me in the right direction. I am now under the coaching of Darkstar,Tyler and HipsterPipster. I am starting to get initial levels of success and confidence and understanding of the markets at a level i have never reached before.

I donā€™t know where you are from, but you know have a friend in Australia. If you ever drop by give me a message.

Hey Omg! Glad to hear that you are begining to understand the market in better view :slight_smile:

we are on the same page here. Begining to implement order flow mindset in trading. Hopefully we can find.a time and chat.

Iā€™m following darkstarā€™s fb feed where he posts daily bids and offers. Anyone else here following it? Its interesting to see how price always reacts. However Iā€™m still in demo mode and trying to work out when to get inā€¦

Ouhh ds fb feed? I need to have a look. Is it under darkstar name in fb search?

Search for ā€œorder flow trading for fun and profitā€. He also has twitter feeds. #OrderFlowForex

Thanks man!

Donā€™t be a cheapskate. Just fork out the $500 and buy his book. The Book provides the foundation and the chat gives you guidance and coaching.

After reading his book which took me two week to get through as i hold a full time job (Reading it a 2nd time now). The result was immediate and obvious. At no point was i lost through out the trade and 2nd guessing myself. I posted a trade i took last night at their forum where the first trade i took an 8 pip lost BUT i was so sure of my view in where the market was heading i took a 2nd trade with no hesitation, no fear, no second guessing and book an 40 pip profit in an hour.

I took a 2nd trade at the same time simulataneously on the AUD/USD and immediately book another 40 pip profit within the hour. These trades i took I had no hesistation, no fear and absolute confidence

AFter i took the trades i posted my chart and explained my thought process to Darkstar,Tyler and Hipsterpipster and they gave me a critique where i went right, where i went wrong and why. Imagine you a disciple learning martial arts, they stand stand there and make sure your posture is right.

I am forever grateful to Ben, he pointed me the right direction- where to go.

[QUOTE=ā€œomgwen3rds;479659ā€]

Donā€™t be a cheapskate. Just fork out the $500 and buy his book. The Book provides the foundation and the chat gives you guidance and coaching.

After reading his book which took me two week to get through as i hold a full time job (Reading it a 2nd time now). The result was immediate and obvious. At no point was i lost through out the trade and 2nd guessing myself. I posted a trade i took last night at their forum where the first trade i took an 8 pip lost BUT i was so sure of my view in where the market was heading i took a 2nd trade with no hesitation, no fear, no second guessing and book an 40 pip profit in an hour.

I took a 2nd trade at the same time simulataneously on the AUD/USD and immediately book another 40 pip profit within the hour. These trades i took I had no hesistation, no fear and absolute confidence

AFter i took the trades i posted my chart and explained my thought process to Darkstar,Tyler and Hipsterpipster and they gave me a critique where i went right, where i went wrong and why. Imagine you a disciple learning martial arts, they stand stand there and make sure your posture is right.

I am forever grateful to Ben, he pointed me the right direction- where to go.[/QUOTE]

$500 for the book? The website said $100. (maybe you got ripped off) LOL.

Hi Kodex, sorry you are right my bad! I paid around $250 into Total for the course . I joined the Mastery Course.

I have paid $100 for the book (Foundations)
I have also paid $150 for the professional package which included the trader chat (Mastery)

Buying the book alone just give you the foundations undestanding of the concepts.
The chat component provides repetition examples reinforcement and coaching/advice.

When i get home if i have some time i will post my personal trades to show you.

Personally i would have paid $5000 for his course but that just my humble opinion.

Before you even complain $250 is not cheap I have friends who paid $30,000 for University degree and are unable to even find a job upon graduating let upon the amount of debt they accumulated for their education.

[QUOTE=ā€œomgwen3rds;479682ā€]

When i get home if i have some time i will post my personal trades to show you.[/QUOTE]

That would be great!!

Iā€™m overseas now and getting it shipped here is going to be a pain. Iā€™m really looking forward to reading his book. All this time I read as many darkstar posts as I could and it changed my way of trading. Havenā€™t built enough confidence to try it live yet but my demo trades have been successful.

Hi Kodex750, Sorry i said "Dont be a cheapskate, i meant it as a figure of speech as in expression about how strongly i am grateful to Ben, Darkstar and the his friends (Tyler,Hipster,EmeraldEyes etc). I want to show you where i come from and how i am today:

This was how i used to trade. Typical day:

I then studied for 1 month like a madman, I took alot of time out thinking and absorbing.

Then i traded again (Noticed how my numbers of trades went down?)

1 st Night of Trading Darkstar Method:

2nd Night

3rd Night

Another trade from Third Night before going to Bed. (I have a full time demanding job)

Thread is turning into an advert again.

Worst thing about this forum is you have to wait 60 seconds in between each reporting.