Ozball's Trading Journal

Stopped out by the weirdness with the Yen overnight (was tempted to jump in on the action on the USD/JPY, to make some pips back, but that would have been suicide). Annoying since the price seems to have continued up as planned, but what can you do. I probably should have had the stop at the 185.20 level where the Span B was at, at point of entry :thinking: That might also just be hindsight talking though. Might look at reentry since it’s broken the 186 level now, but need a good entry, especially since RSI is showing overbought, and MACD is mostly flat atm. Ichimoku is still suggesting an uptrend, but Span B is flat atm.

Running Summary:
Pips Profit: 289.7
Pips Lost: 92
Winning Trades: 8
Losing Trades: 5
Average Pips Won: 36.21
Average Pips Lost: 18.4

The NY session has given us some wild movements in the last few days. I was away from my desk most of the evening, and missed getting a position in for the US inflation numbers by mere seconds, and I wasn’t able to check my phone sooner. However the opportunity loss was tempered by a separate trade I’d entered earlier in the evening, also while away from my PC.

Symbol: GBP/JPY

Reasoning: On the daily timeframe all the Ichimoku signals were pointing buy (Chikousen up and far from the price, both A and B spans, as well as the kijunsen and the tankansen sloping upwards), there had been some better than expected Unemployment numbers out of London before their session started with no other major GBP or JPY news releases planned for the day.

Entry: 186.4
Was trying to pick a good entry as the price dipped under the sloped support line, but kept worrying that I’d miss the move. In the end the price did drop to my initial desired entry (186.3) and even a bit lower. So lesson learned here, at least for GBP/JPY is trust the volatility. Pick a entry point and stick to it.

Stop: 185.9 (-50 pips)
I was looking at this being a slightly longer trade than normal, maybe a full day, especially with GDP numbers coming out of Tokyo the following morning, so a slightly wider stop than I normally use. Also it sat just below the Weekly R1 pivot point (185.97) as well as below the psychological level of 186.00.

Lot Size/Risk: 2%
Usual 2% risk, but this means that the lot size was lower due to the wider stop. Still, need to stick to the max risk, regardless of what that means for lot size and expected profits.

Target Price: 187.18 (78 pips)
This was pretty much bang on the daily R3 pivot, with the assumption that if we broke the R2 (186.58) we’d probably see a decent run. Part of me wanted to stick to the psychological 187.00, but with the volatility of the pair, I figured a push up to the R3 might be possible.

Further Notes:
I was happy for this to be a longer trade, since some of the signals and stop loss reasoning were based on the D1 charts, rather than my usual H1. And carry wise it would be a positive result too, not to mention there were JPY GDP numbers coming that could affect it as well.

1 Like

And hoy boy was this a trade! If anyone was watching the pair last night, you know what happened to the price. With the release of the US Inflation numbers lots of pairs started moving, and the GBP/JPY was no exception. It rushed up and hit R3 pretty quickly, but as I was stuck on a long train ride home I decided to see if I could ride the trend a bit as well. So as it got close (within about 10 pips) I moved my TP up, and my SL to profit (just so if it did reverse, I didn’t lose everything). 100 pips and 40 pips respectively. And then just watched, and every time it got within 10 pips of TP… I moved both SL and TP up 10 pips. Did this all the way up to 187.9 or so. By this point it was getting late and I needed to sleep, so I brought up my SL to much tighter, 187.8, and price jumped down a bit soon after and ended up hitting it. So a total of 140 pips profit in the end, one of (if not THE) my biggest trades ever.
There is some lingering “what ifs” about the fact my lot size was lower than normal, and had I used my usual size then cash flow wise this would have been massive. But that would have opened me to more risk, or my SL would have been closer initially. Either way it wouldn’t have been the trade I planned out. So I’m just happy with the pips profit.

Running Summary:
Pips Profit: 429.7
Pips Lost: 92
Winning Trades: 9
Losing Trades: 5
Average Pips Won: 47.74
Average Pips Lost: 18.4

1 Like

Absolutely marvelous trade Ozball.

In a situation such as your trade, babysitting it and making measured steps to achieve more without abandoning reason was certainly the call.

You handled this well, most especially with the adjusting of your SL to keep you in a safe position.

Marvelous man. :beers:

1 Like

GBP Inflation coming out shortly, so attempting a straddle play on it’s release. Bit nervous on this one, as GBP/JPY is more volatile than some of the other pairs I’ve traded, so worried about getting whipsawed in both directions…

Reasoning: Inflation numbers release

Entry: Bull: 188.30 Bear: 187.80
Both are set just above and below the trading range leading up to the news release.

Stop: Bull: 187.95 (-35 pips) Bear: 188.20 (40 pips)
Bull is below the 188 level and well back into the trading range from earlier, invalidating the trade. Bear is similar, though at the top of the trading range. Bull might stand to sit a bit further away, since the price is towards the top at the moment :thinking:

Lot Size/Risk: 1.4% for both (2.8% total)
Bit lower on the Lot Size as it’s my first news trade for GBP/JPY. I might need to set wider stops and lower lots with this pair.

Target Price: Bull: 188.80 (50 pips) Bear: 187.20 (-60 pips)
Bull is at the R1 level for the day, and above 188.7 which acted as resistance in September-November 2015 before the price went lower. Bear sits on the sloped support line from yesterday that has mostly been respected, also close to the daily Pivot Point.

Cheers man! :beers:

I’m still getting a feel for this pair, so I wasn’t sure how much it might run. But also, with the USD/JPY plummeting as well, I figured I might as well watch and see how it goes, and try and ride it if I could.

I strongly feel if you revise your TP upwards, then your should be bring your SL into at least some profit. If you’re not willing to do that, then leave your TP where it is and take those profits if it’s hit. I’m very much in the camp of banking profits when I can with my SL’s :sweat_smile: I try not to be too aggressive with it, especially since most of my trades are quite small in pip counts, but 2 pips profit is better than 15 loss.

It was also helped by the fact I had a long train ride home ahead of me, so I had the freedom and time to watch it, otherwise I might have just taken my initial TP target and been done with it.

1 Like

So this trade ended up being a good learning experience. Lessons learnt. eg GBP/JPY spreads widen a LOT around news releases. I missed the exact moment it happened so not sure how wide it got, but I think I actually got triggered and stopped out of the Bull trade based on spread alone. Highest I saw was 12.5, and looking back at the S1 charts for the time, it might have gotten as high as 40 pips. So in a few seconds, Bull trade was in and out at a loss. Bear trade also got triggered, and was able to make some back For a bit I thought it might have actually hit TP, and at one point the mid-price actually touched it, but the US PPI news release seemed to reverse the momentum.
I moved the SL a bit on the Bear trade, up to BE once we were 40 pips up, and then to 10 pips profit soon after as I had to step away and not watch the charts for a bit. In the end, the trade closed at 10 pips profit, negating a little bit of the 35 pip loss from the Bull trade.

As a recap, I need to remember, if I’m trading GBP/JPY news events to set MUCH wider S/Ls initially, but also news seems to come out about 1 hour before the London session starts, and the price doesn’t seem to move that much initially. There were some jitters at release (including stopping me out of Bull), but it didn’t actually break the range it was in until after London had started. So it might be better in the future to watch what happens with the news, and then place the trade after it’s settled a bit, and before the London session starts.

Running Summary:
Pips Profit: 439.7
Pips Lost: 127
Winning Trades: 10
Losing Trades: 6
Average Pips Won: 43.97
Average Pips Lost: 21.16

1 Like

Trying another more technical approached trade today…

Symbol: AUD/JPY

Reasoning: No further major news stories today for either pair (or even the USD). A bit of a drop this morning after the AUD unemployment figures. Daily Ichimoku signs are still bullish. Possible rebreak through the psychological 98.00 level.

Entry: 98.10
Above the daily pivot, and above the psychological 98.00 level, also we have a bit of a reversal a few hours ago, so hoping that if the price breaks through both PP and 98.00 then it will have some momentum to keep going upwards.

Stop: 97.95 (-15 pips)
Below the PP and 98 level, might be a bit too close to the 98 level if I’m relying on that to provide support. Probably should consider setting slightly wider stops in general, I think I tend towards too tight.

Might actually be a bit high for such a tight stop, and in an area I’m not as strong in (technical analysis). Probably should still to a bit lower for some of these kinds of trades.

Target Price: 98.40 (30 pips)
Daily R1 level and just below where the price was when it begun it’s down trend earlier today.

Got stopped out sadly. Trade went well initially, and got within 10 pips of TP, but it then reversed and ended up breaking PP after some US news caused a bit of a JPY rally. Even before that I’d just gotten stopped out anyways. So I think my instinct was correct, and my stop was too tight. But, also, I need to do better at finding TP when I’m doing these more technical plays. Looking back the price reversed just after the 23.6 Fib extension level of 98.27 (based on the rise from Tuesday evening). So lessons learned: Set wider stops, check more technical tools for TP when making technical plays.

Running Summary:
Pips Profit: 439.7
Pips Lost: 142
Winning Trades: 10
Losing Trades: 7
Average Pips Won: 43.97
Average Pips Lost: 20.28

1 Like

Trying one last trade for the week. Based on GBP news, skipped the initial release (was busy anyway), and planning to trade the trend if there is one.

Price actually dropped a lot on release, which is different from last time. But hoping it will continue its trend during the London session.

Reasoning: Retail Sales news release. News came in negative for GBP, and price jumped down. Assumption is it will continue this during the London session, and break through the S3 and 186 levels and continue down.

Entry: 185.90
Clear move down below S3 and breaking 186.

Stop Loss: 186.20 (30 pips)
Wider because of the volatility of this pair. It’s also above both the 186 and S3 levels, so a move back up here would likely invalidate the trade.

Lot Size/Risk: 1.6%
Bit lower than normal, but I think I need more experience with the pair before risking my usual 2%. Probably should have actually made this 1% in hindsight.

Target Price: 185.40 (-50 pips)
Still struggling with TP setting. This is below a psychological 185.5 level, so might be too low, but hoping volatility will carry it that far if it makes it to 185.50. We’re past daily S3 so can’t use pivots, probably should have checked longer time frames for supports.

Busy-ish weekend so wasn’t able to update the above trade till now. It ended after a few hours. I got a bit greedy and try to shift the TP a bit as I did with my previous GBP/JPY trade. Ended up moving it twice, ending at 185.20, but unfortunately things went against me before it hit that. I should have kept my original TP in the end, as that would have gotten hit. (Low of ~188.33) Still positive though, as my SL was moved up in tandem with the TP moving, so +20 pips at the end of the day.

Running Summary:
Pips Profit: 459.7
Pips Lost: 142
Winning Trades: 11
Losing Trades: 7
Average Pips Won: 41.79
Average Pips Lost: 20.28

Honestly, wasn’t planning on trading today, everything looked pretty flat, but a chance presented itself that I want to try. USD/JPY has dropped close to 100 points this morning (I missed the move, and didn’t have any signals so stayed out) going from Daily R2 all the way down, and has currently reached both the S3 daily Pivot, as well as the D1 Span A of the Ichimoku, both of which can be considered possible support levels, so a slight retracement is possible.

Symbol: USD/JPY

Reasoning: Retracement after hitting Daily S3 and D1 Ichimoku Span A. RSI is also nearing oversold.

Entry: 149.15
Move above the S3. about 10 pips above where price was at when the order was placed.

Stop Loss: 148.85 (-30 pips)
Solid move below the psychological 149 level.

Lot Size/Risk: 1.81%
Usual risk size, but a bit lower as I’m still practicing with purely technical plays.

Target Price: 149.50 (35 pips)
Psychological level, as well as about 2/3rds of the way up from where the fall began this morning. Also is at the 23 Fib level from the fall from the end of last week. A bit above the S1, but if we get above S2 then I think a test of 149.50 is possible.

Further Notes:
My main concern with this trade is that it is counter to the current trend from the last week where the price has been falling. And trying for a retracement during these conditions (even though the daily chart still shows bullish signals) seems a bit risky. :thinking:

Got stopped out. I guess that’s what I get for trading against the trend, and trying for a rebound. Probably should have waited for it to test 149.00 more.

Running Summary:
Pips Lost: 172
Losing Trades: 8
Average Pips Lost: 21.5

1 Like

Ya… Going against the trend is simply not worth it. I feel you.

1 Like

Yeah, don’t be stubborn.:grin:

But you’ve been doing great, your profits has always been more than your loses.

1 Like

Also I’ve been meaning to ask you what “S1 or S2” mean?

They’re part of the Pivot Points indicator. If you look at the charts for my trades you’ll see 3 red lines above, and 3 green lines below the white Pivot Point line. The green ones are the Support Pivots, and the red ones are Resistance Pivots. The basically indicate areas where the price might “pivot” and change direction, so they can end up as support and resistance levels (hence the naming of the lines).

I mostly use them to try and help time entries and for setting target prices, mostly as a guide rather than a hard commitment to those levels.

School of Pipsology’s Grade 8 has a good overview of all things Pivot Points if you’ve not gotten to it yet: What Are Pivot Points? - BabyPips.com

1 Like

Another USD/JPY trade today, this time with the current prevailing trend. I actually wanted to get into this one earlier (around 147.60), but a Weekly S2 at a semi psychological 147.50 made me hesitate and want to see the price go past that first.

Symbol: USD/JPY

Reasoning: Daily Ichimoku cloud is about to cross bearish, as well as both Kijunsen and Tenkansen being bearish and sloping down. Chikousen has already broken the price downwards a few days ago. Daily MACD is bearish and possibly picking up steam, Daily ATR picking up as well. Hourly, break through S1 (147.68) and 147.50 levels (which is also a Weekly S2). Hourly MACD bearish cross, and ATR quite high at around 45. Hourly Ichimoku all bearish as well.

Entry: 147.40
Below the psychological 147.50, and the Weekly S2 at that point, as well as a solid move down past the daily S1 at 147.68.

Stop Loss: 147.70 (30 pips)
This is just back above the daily S1. Would need to pass back up through the 147.50 and the Weekly S2 to reach here. Part of me thinks maybe this should be a bit further away from the Daily S1, but hoping the earlier levels it would need to break through provide enough resistance.

Going with the trend, and lots of solid signals, so full risk commitment.

Target Price: 146.95 (-45 pips)
Just past the psychological level of 147.00 and also sits right on the Daily S2. Hoping the momentum that carries the price to 147, also carries it a couple pips past to test it and the Daily S2.

1 Like

Frustratingly stopped out again. Might take a few days off technical plays, as they don’t seem to be working out for me at the moment. Need to take a look at how I approach them and what I might be doing wrong.

Running Summary:
Pips Lost: 202
Losing Trades: 9
Average Pips Lost: 22.44

Oh, noted.