Parabolic SAR - that's all!

Akram,

Are you asking about the rollover at Delta specifically - or just in general?

Put it this way:

All the brokers will have page that details the rollover amounts specific to the currency pair so you just have to go to that page on the broker’s website and you will see the amount of interest earned / charged depending on the position that you are holding on the pair i.e. long or short.

Delta is one of the few brokers that I know of that pays / charges interest no matter what you balance or margin setting is. Some of the other brokers will only PAY YOU interest if you have a certain minimum lot size or margin percentage. At THESE brokers you do NOT earn any interest and YOU pay both ways.

Rollover is calculated daily.

Here is Delta’s rollover information (they explain it a lot better than I could):

http://www.deltastock.com/common/rollovers_forex_delta_trading.asp

Regards,

Dale.

Dale,

i was asking in general as u know our strategy we r sticking with involved us to open a postion for like 18 or more days or less.
so do u have like a mathematical calculation of how these people charge us?

So what u mean is that i can be charged both ways if i open the postion and the price is with me or against me?

sorry Dale but i really failed to undersnatd the concept of the rollover although i read about alot but i don’t know may be i have a problem!!!

Thanks

Akram

Akram

rollover differs a little from broker to broker, but generally it will depend on your leverage. the higher the leverage the more it cost you.
Some pairs if the trade is the right direction pay you int. here again it depneds on the leverage.

the image below is fxsols cost of carry you can get a idea of which ones are most expensive to hold and which ones will pay.

if your short yen pairs with high leverage it gets expensive, however if they are falling its worth it. If not its a double wammy!

I dont know why the thumbnail isnt showing proper but the pic is ok click on it.

Hello droesparky,

It has been along time man for u to post any new one any ways i do now undertsnad the concept of the rollover but where is the image u were talking about it is not attcahed

thanks again

Akram

Hi,

Edit:

(Sorry - we were ‘overtyping’ each other again so your question has probably already been answered but here was my reply anyway).

OK - let me (try) and explain.

Let’s use Delta as an example.

Let’s say you bought (went long) 1 lot of EUR/USD and your lot size was 70000.

At Delta the number of swap (or rollover) points for a long position on EUR/USD is -0.75 as per their table.

So the calculation would be as follows:

(-0.75 / 10000) x 70000 (lot size) x 1 (day) = -$5.25 USD

So - for a long position on EUR/USD you would PAY $5.25 USD per day in interest / rollover.

NOW:

Let’s say you sold (went short) 1 lot of EUR/USD and your lot size was 70000.

At Delta the number of swap (or rollover) points for a short position on EUR/USD is 0.19 as per their table.

So the calculation would be as follows:

(0.19 / 10000) x 70000 (lot size) x 1 (day) = $1.33 USD

So - a long position on EUR/USD would EARN you $1.33 USD per day i.e. you get paid (or receive) $1.33 USD per day on a long position on EUR/USD.

As detailed in on their web page the calculation for all JPY crosses differs slightly.

Now that’s at Delta (for example). At GCI - unless your lot size is set to a minimum of $200 (the default or minimum lot size is $50) - then you NEVER earn interest and only pay interest based on the figures that they give you on THEIR website. If you have increased your lot size to $200 at GCI then you pay and receive as in the above example based (on their calculation and figures).

You just have to check how your broker operates.

Regards,

Dale.

yeah its there but I dont know why it looks like its blank, go ahead and click on the area where there is normally a thumbnail pic and it will come up.
I think. Let me know if it dosnt, Ill try again

No i can’t nothing is there please try to send it more time

How is the alligator doing with u did u try it??

thanks for your help

Dale,

thank u so much now i got the pic it is not that much i think

I will contact STFIX and find out what they do

Akram

Dear Akram,
I installed Aligator indicatore in my platform.Would you please explain when 3 lines cross we action or even when 2 lines crosses we sell or buy.
I am a little bit confused.

Thanks
Mike

ok mike

the aligator indicatore is having 3 lines which are like the MA’S.We r not concerning about the alligatore to start our action based on them like to buy or sell.but what we do is we follow the Psar when they form a new dot on the opps. direction we start our action wheather to buy or sell depends on the dot where they formed.

What the alligatore do is that the moment this dot appear they form a uturn (up or down depends on the market) and they do one of 2 things

1- they eather go into the direction of the dots (without touching each otheres) forming a trend and that tells u that u have to keep your postion opened to take the max profit

2-they touches each others (the aligator is sleeping and is not hungry any more) so we find the market goes sideways which means that we will never get any profit so we better stay out of the marekt or close our postions.

u can watch them in your platform to feel them more and more

I hope that u now understand my point if not please feel free to ask and i will do my best to help u

Dale i think monday is the worst day durning the week i am fade up with the loss i am having they r not alot but they r really upsetting me i know i should have more patience that what i have.

Regards,

Akram

hey akram

I am using the java platform, there is also a windows based as well.
Can you show me how to load the alligator? thanks
just found out forex.com doesnt have alligator indictator! this sucks

the market is so quiet, cant stand it!

Alan

Dear Alan,

i don’t know any thing about the java but if u have the MT4 i can tell u how to do them do u have an MT4?

Yes the market sucks today i am following Dale i will take the loss with a big smile coz the coming days will be better if not then we all have to Blame MR DALE!!!

No i beleive that it will move so fast tom and after tom let us watch and check it

Regards,

Akram

Hello Dale,
I have attached the Parabolic SAR and the Alligator to my charts within MetaTrader 4. Are these settings OK at their defaults or should I change them in any way? Thanks.

hello every body

After 1 day of trading with Dale’s strategy combined with the Alligator indicator i discoverd that all what i said is true and i will show u guys with the graf what had happened.

Yesterday i went on openning 5 postions (I have a samll loss on 2 and 1 breakeven and one i have some profit) the fifth one which is what we want to point at is the CHF/JPY.

what happned is all the five postions were a vailed entry due to PSAR theory. and with our nice new Born Alligator all of them forms a nice uturn shap Today i took a huge loss on the CHF/JPY which was 100 pips to 70 pips it was flactuating between them. i was trying to check how the alligator react with them it had somthing very intresting which is the lines are getting closer to each others and they r no more forming our sexy UTURN that means (i think) the market on these pairs are going on sideways the next days

Please have alook and compare and give me your feed back i will attach 1 sexy uturn and a very lousy uturn which is not a uturn any more after today!!

Regards,

Akram

Good morning all,

To those of you who say that they don’t have the Alligator indicator on their platforms:

READ THE F*****G THREAD!!!

I went into great detail as to how the Alligator is constructed in an earlier post AND those details come from Bill Williams’ books (yes - I have them to - and the Alligator indicator is his) NOT from me so they are correct.

Akram (and others who already have the Alligator indicator or who have taken the time and gone to the trouble to READ THE THREAD and constucted their own):

Again I find myself being very surprised at how MT4 is displaying or rather ‘plotting’ Parabolic SAR (I was always and MT4 fan and thought it was really fantastic software but now I not so sure anymore).

The reason I way this is as follows (and by the way Akram - I’m really sorry that you are taking a loss on CHF/JPY BUT that’s what I’m saying here):

Have a look at MY current daily chart of CHF/JPY (at Delta) (attached).

I have not even received a Parabolic SAR signal to be in that trade and by the looks of things I will not be receiving a signal for quite some time to come.

What I would suggest (maybe) is to either change brokers OR play around with MT4’s Parabolic SAR parameters UNTIL MT4’s Parabolic SAR resembles mine. The only reason I say this is because it would certainly appear that Delta’s representation of Parabolic SAR really does seem to be more ‘correct’ than the other platforms.

If you are feeling REALLY eager then you can manually calculate Parabolic SAR and see how it compares to what is being displayed on your chart.

The formula for Parabolic SAR is as follows:

Your initial Parabolic SAR value (or dot) is the ‘extreme price point reached while in the previous trade’ (or SIP).

From then on the calculation is as follows:

SAR Tommorrow = SAR Today + ( AF * ( EP - SAR Today ) )

where

AF = Accleration Factor
EP = Extreme Price Point (if long it is the extreme high price and if short it is the extreme low price)

By doing the above calculations daily you will be able to see whether or not Parabolic SAR is actually being calculated and plotted correctly on your chart by your trading platform or charting tools.

Anyway - don’t feel lonely - the losses on most of MY open positions are climbing steadily at the moment as well. On the other hand - at least I know the reasons for this - and it is mainly due to the price of Crude Oil and Gold at the moment i.e. my ‘major’ losing positions are all on ‘anything CAD’ and ‘anything NZD’ and ‘anything ZAR’ (other than my ‘pain in the you know what’ position on USD/RON) at the moment so I’m REALLY hoping that the price of Crude Oil and Gold does an about turn in the next couple of days BEFORE I’m forced to stop and reverse by Parabolic SAR otherwise there are some big losses coming my way folks!

Anway - patience is the key!!!

Regards,

Dale.

Folks,

This is my 1st ever post on Babypips and its one I dont want to make. I really have enjoyed reading this thread because I have the same problem that when its down to my judgement on trends, S&R etc to trade I usually end up wiping out. So I was delighted Dale when you gave us the idea of simply being disciplined in following the ParaSAR, especially when I saw your profits!

Being a fan of MT4 I’ve had a go at coding and backtesting your system of ‘Pure Parabolic SAR’ and it replicates the kind of success you have been having since mid-July. Unfortunately thats where the good news ends. I’ve tested it back to June 04 and it seems to show some serious, account killing, losses (Excel attached).

I really hope I’m wrong and I know where there are a few potentials for weaknesses in my test, so I would be very grateful if someone with more knowledge and skills in these things would take a look at my work.

1. I dont have access to history for as many pairs as you are using. If anyone knows where I can get good M1 historical data let me know and I will re-run
  2. I’m not a coder by trade so would someone please look at the EA and see if the logic is correct
  3. Though I love ‘playing’ with MT4 I share some of your concerns about it
  4. All the forums on MT4 warn against betting the farm based on backtest results, though usually because the backtest throws up fantastic results - but I’m sure the advice could be taken the same when the results go the wrong way too.

I SOOOO hope I’m wrong (my dreams of the Jaguar SKR are fading fast!). Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Derek

Hi Derek (midulster), and welcome to the thread, and thanks for going to the trouble of posting and attaching your backtesting results.

I - for one - don’t have the ‘guts’ to look at your backtest results - if I’m wrong - I don’t want to know about!!! Only kidding.

Having said that though - I’m REALLY starting to think that the way that Parabolic SAR is plotted on MT4 leaves much to be desired - AND - I’M REALLY HOPING that this is the reason why your backtesting gives less than desired results!!!

I don’t know how or why the different calculations of the very same indicator with the very same values can differ so much from platform to platform - it ‘befuddles’ me!!!

Of the (my) three platforms it appears that Delta’s is the MOST correct.

One thing though (and again I stress this):

I am following ‘pure’ Parabolic SAR i.e. not taking into account ANYTHING else AND the reason that this works for me (or should I say has worked for me so far) again is PURELY because of the amount of free margin that I have ensured that I have, the sheer number of pairs that are available to me, and the fact that I (now) trade without stops i.e. I ONLY stop and reverse when I get a new Parabolic SAR entry signal in the opposite direction the next day.

The above is VERY important (I believe) if you are ONLY using Parabolic SAR i.e. ‘pure’ Parabolic SAR.

From what I have seen of late (and because the markets are so quiet at the moment I have had LOADS of time to have a look at things as they stand) if you are only going to stick to one or two or three pairs (like trading ONLY the majors) then I would be the first person to say that you CANNOT use ‘pure’ Parabolic SAR and that you HAVE to take into account information given to you by other ‘confirmation’ indicators such as MACD, or Akrams ‘Alligator idea’, or trend lines, or any of the other fantastic ideas posted here by other ‘Parabolic SAR groupies’.

I mean - as it stands with me right now - about 80% of my positions are sitting at a loss right now (like I said mainly because of the ‘commdolls’) but even although most of them are at a loss right now - that loss would be FAR greater if it was not being offset by the other positions that are showing a profit AND had I not closed all my positions at month end last month I would very definitely be sitting on a nice nett profit about now. This is the MAJOR problem that is caused by ‘bailing out’ when Parabolic SAR has not told you to close your positions (at least in my case) because now it’s almost like I opening positions as indicated by ‘pure’ Parabolic SAR but I’m catching the ‘dying’ or the ‘dead’ or the ‘tail end’ of the trends i.e. the ones that would have cost me money ANYWAY had I not closed out my positions early last month BUT had I had ALL the postions open and not closed ANY of them out at month end last month - like I said - my nett profit would be (probably) JUST as ‘humungous’ as it was about two or three weeks ago (and then of course - being the ‘disciplined’ trader that I am - I would probably have closed them all early AGAIN yesterday or today - and I’d be typing the EXACT SAME MESSAGE as this in about a weeks time and ‘crying on your shoulders’ again)!!!

Now - if you think about this (the above) nicely - I could QUITE EASILY have chosen to stick with GBP/CAD for example - and - had I done this - my ‘luck’ would have been out i.e. this pair has been CONSTANTLY costing me money over the past couple of days / weeks because of the way it’s moving. I would go so far as to say that if you are ONLY going to stick with ONE pair and use ‘pure’ Parabolic SAR then I would recommend that you go with EUR/USD (and - to be quite honest - that statement is made based on what I see happening with James’ 30 minute EUR/USD ‘system’ detailed in the same forum as this thread with one ‘proviso’ and that is that I STILL believe that trading on any timeframe shorter than a day is looking for trouble but that’s just my ‘humble’ opinion and is based solely on the fact that I have NEVER made any kind of ‘decent’ profit on the shorter timeframes EVER and have, in the long run, always lost more than I’ve made on the shorter timeframes).

I would also ‘stick my neck out’ here and say that in backtesting for results of using ‘pure’ Parabolic SAR you must take the nett results over a period of a year i.e. you cannot just pick a random number of days / weeks and then say that it does not work (and I’m not saying that this is what you have done) for the simple reason that we already know that there will be some HUGE drawdowns from time to time but it’s the nett results over a long period of time that matter.

Again - as far as ‘backtesting’ is concerned (sorry - I know that the ‘order’ of this message is a bit ‘jumbled up’) - I would not run any of those backtesting ‘things’ available to you on MT4 - open a chart - and manually go and calculate the profit or loss made using ‘pure’ Parabolic SAR over a period. The reason I say this is that if I look at any chart - any pair or any commodity - and I do the calculation manually - it (almost) without exception indicates that a profit would have been made and there should be no reason why this should differ whether you are ‘backtesting’ manually or trading based on the indicator itself in the future.

Regards,

Dale.

PS - Akram - I sent you a (private) email - please let me know if you got it because the page said ‘done’ after I sent it but nothing more after that.

Derek

Welcome to the thread and thanks for putting in the work you have done.

You can get good m1 data here : History Center for MetaTrader 4

You will need a seperate mt4 other then the one you use for charting in order to keep the data pure.

Once you open a new demo account mt4 platform then delete the history files before you import the new data.
Each time you open the test mt4 platform it will try to get you to log on, do not log on click cancel twice or else it will automatically download current data and wipe out your pure data.

I know nothing of programing so cant help you with that part.

Hi Alan,
We don’t have these indicators in Forex.com.their platform is very very simple.
Mike

Thanks Dale,

I am really pissed off now with the fact that i have always a wrong PSAR than what u have i do have 5 or 6 postion entry due to PSAR and i am taking now a huge loss with most of them and i think the problem is they r not like Delta i don’t know how to fit them to match delta that is why i asked u to put in this forum the vailed entry list of the week to check them .other wise i will go to delta and have them as a broker but i really need some good time to understand there software. Dale if u can do it to match the same like Delta with your other broker who had MT4 that will be great coz u seem to know alot and better than me about the paremeters and i will follow the paremters u will put

Thanks alot

Akram