Parabolic SAR - that's all!

LOL, Dale it appears we were both typing at the same time. :smiley:

Hey dobro - no problem - send me the bill!!!

Look - for this mornings ‘action’ - I put the same indicators on all the charts - the Monthly, Weekly, Daily, 4 Hour, 1 Hour, and 30 Minutes - and - by the ‘the same indicators’ I mean - 50 SMA / 50 EMA / MACD / Parabolic SAR. I looked for a pair where ALL the indicators were going in the same direction on ALL the timeframes i.e. GBP/JPY AND had recently started closing above (could have been below as well) 50 SMA / 50 EMA on the Daily Chart - the logic being that if it had JUST closed above the MA’s then the ‘trend’ was ‘new’ and not becoming ‘exhausted’ already. That’s it - moved the 5 Minute Chart - and ‘the rest is history’.

Dale.

dobro, just got your last message.

I ‘deemed’ there to be a ‘valid’ and ‘strong’ trend when the following were true (on ALL timeframes):

1 - The price had JUST CLOSED above the 50 EMA AND 50 SMA on the daily timeframe AND the price was CLOSING above the 50 EMA AND 50 SMA on ALL the other timeframes.

2 - BOTH the 50 EMA AND the 50 SMA had started to turn or ‘point’ upwards.

3 - Parabolic SAR was going in the same direction as the MA’s on ALL timeframes.

4 - MACD had crossed and was heading up on ALL timeframes.

ALL of these conditions led me to believe that there was INDEED a trend upward on this pair (would you believe).

That’s what I looked for given the ‘risky’ nature of what I was trying to ‘pull off’ this morning i.e. margining 40% of my capital on one trade was no ‘psychological walk in the park’ I can tell you for sure.

In other words - ALL of the above 4 conditions had been met on ALL timeframes. How can you go wrong???

Put it this way - if it didn’t work - I’d then have scrapped every single indicator and found another solution because with all of these indicators going in the same direction - again - how can you go wrong???

For what it’s worth though - I’ll tell you this - that if you ‘reverted back’ to ‘pure’ Parabolic SAR - I reckon it would still work - as long as your account could withstand the inevitable drawdowns - which I was NOT prepared to allow for this morning.

By the way Akram - I just read (again on one of the newsletters that you have all subscribed to not so) - that Gold futures were selling last week for about $745 - so - the way I understand it - there’s your ‘top’ for now - and it sure looks like Gold is ‘only just hanging on’ around that mark ($743 for me at the moment).

Regards,

Dale.

For what it’s worth - AUD/CAD seems to be a ‘likely forthcoming candidate’ for this same ‘play’ i.e. the price (daily) is actually touching the 50 EMA and ‘hovering around’ the 50 SMA and MACD looks like it’s going to turn down sometime soon and Parabolic SAR has already given the reversal signal (this is another reason why I don’t think Gold is going much further).

Put it this way - if Gold turns around - and AUD/CAD closes below both of those MA’s blah, blah blah - then - we’re good to go!!!

Regards,

Dale.

Dale,

so what u r saying is that the silver and gold is going to go up???the probelm is that the silver is stiing in 260 pips loss yeah i know it is to much but it was 370 at some point during the day i am still holding a profit with net 70 pips net.

Today there was no news so i was expcting that i will still hold this loss i think on friday i will see somthing moving more to my faviour that is why i am holding the 3 postions and i will post the result for to day to those who are intrested with both systems.i hope that the Doller will jump during this week other wise i will balme my self coz at some point i was having 350 pips in profit but it didn’t excute the orders i hope i am not wrong about that.

yesterday i looked to the 30 min and i think it works perfect with the 30 min.diod u try it on 30 mint.

I think what u r doing Dale right now is that u r opening postions on 5 min with a huge margine i am i right like u hit and run away!

Regards,

Akram

Thank you, I get it now. Looking to pocket some pips. d.

So Dale u feel confidient with the 5 min now???

Akram

Dale,

here in egypt we do have DSL and 3G broadband where i can put the sim card on my lap top and i can go online any where yes it is bite expensive than the DSL but it is better than the DSL in terms of it conestent .I think u have 3G broadband in SOUTH AFRICA as u guys have Vodafone it might be a better option to have as a sand by with any emebrgency u could face!!

The price for the DSL monthy it is 20 USD for 256 k unlimmited while the 3G is 60 USD for 2 gega upload and download.

It is funny as we r a developing country but the tec. we have u will never find in North America when ever i go to canada with my 3G mobile phone people look at me as if i am coming from another planet!!! all they care about in North America about the phone is that it should be a flip phone and that is all!!!

I remmeber when i got my Nokia N70 i went to a coffe shop (to smoke Shesha !!)in Canada and lots of people where like woow where did u get this phone and they were so surpised to know that i got it 7 month ago and it is now an old mobile phone!!

Regards,

Akram

Rob,

where r u my friend?? do u have a flip mobile phone??!!!

Akram

I am here. Been feeling a little under the weather… taking a break from being on the computer too much.

Yes, I have a flip phone. A Nokia. Yes, people here are funny with their phones. Everyone always has to have the latest in technology. Lately, its that new Apple iphone. To be honest, thats a pretty cool looking phone and they way it functions and all… but not worth the money they want for it. I don’t really care too much about my phone. I get whatever is cheapest or comes with my plan. I really hate talking on phones.

Well, time to go nurse my head and take some flu meds.

Sorry for being cold my freind but it is always like that u have to have 4 days during the year for being sick from cold.unfortunatly u have to catch cold once a year if u r lucky!!
The funny thing is that if u take pills or u don’t in any cases u have to have some rest for 4 days!! i think they never do any thing these useless pils.

as far as being crazy from technology u r dam right.The other funny thing that people here no matter what are thier income they have to have the latiest mobile they don’t care about thier car being old or any thing else in their life just thier mobile phone!!

Yeah the iphone i bought it a week ago but i think my wife will take it from me:mad:

I have to fight to get it for myself!!

Ohh boy what shall i say doller is down doller is up i got sick from the doller and the silver as well. both postions are going on my faviour not like before but they show nice profit

The sliver is the one that i hate right now as it is still in loss postion.although it is better than today early but i hate to see any thing negative!!

Will check for the news tom and will tell u what i will do

Regards,

Akram

Ok guys,

I checked with tom news.i will post the most important news that will come for the USD coz this is what i care about right now and it seems to be postive between the previous ones and the expected ones.

The most important one is USD trade balance and it seems to be postive so let us hope that it will have a good impact on the market.

I will hold these postions i am having for tommorow as well

Silver
USD/CHF
GBP/CHF

Let us see how things will go

Regards,

Akram

Ok guys

My Vodafone 3G broadband doesn’t have a signals so i am offline with it but it has a very nice option where if the 3G is not available then it will be connected through the EDGE or GPRS tec. yes it is dam slow but at least i can post some posts.

So how every body doing??? why no one is posting is that coz u guys have a bif loss? Dale how are u doing?

Regards,

Akram

Hello Guys,

Well today was not good and was not bad as well as i still in profit i think the market was affected by yesterday news i think we should see some move with the any thing realted to the USD/???

As there will be news and it is expected to be better than last month as mentioned before it is about the trade balance and i am sure it will be better why??

Coz the trade balance is the differenc between importing and expoting as far as i know and as the states droped down there intrest rate then for sure there doller went down which means that the exports are going to be better )hopfully) then we should se a big move!! (hope i am right)

As for the GBP/CHF (based on new rule) there will not be any new news from both country and hopfully that will mean the direction of this postion will foloow the gravity of our system thus will come to our faviour.(i hope it will not follow the news that came from UK yesterday which was bad!!)

Regards,

Akram

Dale:

Since I’m not contributing much needed technical analysis (such as backtesting) to this thread, I might as well provide some diversion.

Never heard of Tarja before I met you so I looked her up (well her music on the web). Pleasantly surprised. I seem to recall you loving metal, that hard rock scene. Surprise, surprise, Tarja is more ballad, operatic, European pop. ‘I Walk Alone’ on the ‘Winter Storm’ album, I listened to that at least three times. Sounds deep, dark, and painful. Visual narration of the video is awesome. Could have layered another story level to add variety. Perhaps with you dreaming of her.

As for Captain Morgan it turns out that the factory appears to be in Puerto Rico. If the Jamaican Black Label product says produced in jamaica then quite likely that one is produced in Jamaica. Here’s wikipedia:

[B]In 1944, the Seagram Company started producing rum under the name Captain Morgan Rum Company.

Seagram CEO Samuel Bronfman purchased a Jamaican distillery named Long Pond from the Jamaican government. Among the buyers of raw rum from the Long Pond distillery was a Kingston pharmacy named Levy Brothers. The Levy family had been purchasing raw rum, adding medicinal herbs and spices, aging, and bottling it. Bronfman liked the rum product and bought the rights to it.

In the 1950s the United States federal government and the government of Puerto Rico created a number of economic incentives to create jobs in Puerto Rico. Taxes on rum entering the United States produced in Puerto Rico were less than from outside the United States. At this time both Seagram’s, Bronfman, and the Bacardi family built large new plants near San Juan.

In 1984, Captain Morgan Original Spiced rum was introduced to the United States.

Captain Morgan is, by volume, the third largest brand of spirits in the United States, and the seventh largest world-wide. In 2005, 6.5 million 9-liter cases were sold. Most Captain Morgan rum is sold in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, South Africa, and in continental Europe.[/B]

As the title states: ‘I love this thread’!!!

Thanks for the ‘rum info’. I’ve always wondered about it because I HATE being ‘taken for a ride’ by advertisers and marketers!!! Anyway - I checked (an empty) bottle and it does say that it’s produced AND bottled in Jamaica so I guess I’m OK!!!

Now - as far as Tarja is concerned - NO! NO! NO! ‘I’ll Walk Alone’ is certainly NOT one of my ‘favourites’. It’s a good song (but I would not go out and buy the album because of this song) but whoever came up with video concept for the song should be shot at point blank range (I’m hoping it was not her of course). I mean (and all of this is MY opinion of course) Tarja Turunen is the most beautiful and ‘exquisite’ and ‘classy’ woman in the world - not to mention talented of course - and in that video they’ve made her look like an ‘old hag’. I mean - she looks like a man with that wig on!!! What are they trying to do to her??? Who did that??? Anyway - I digress (he says while ‘foaming at the mouth’). Tarja is the ‘ex’ singer from ‘Nightwish’ but she has always had her own solo career (classical, opera, acting) and if you want to see ‘my’ Tarja then ‘mosey on over’ to youtube and do a search using the keywords ‘nightwish end of an era’. Some or the other person (and it was NOT me because I actually LOATHE people who take money ‘out of the artists mouth’ by copying and distributing their work for free but it suits my purposes right now for this post I suppose) has uploaded every single song from the DVD. It’s the DVD from their last concert together (Tarja and Nightwish). If you never do ANYTHING else for me in this lifetime then please just do me this one favour and go and have a ‘look see’ at some of the songs. If you want to get an idea on just how fantastic her voice is then have a ‘look see’ at their version (rendition?) of ‘Phantom Of The Opera’ (particularly toward the end of the song when she’s ‘giving it her all’ and hitting those high notes). It would be really hard for me to ‘pick a favourite’ for you watch or listen to. I have every single Nightwish (Tarja) release and every single song just ‘does things for me’. I suppose - if I REALLY had to ‘pick’ - it would be ‘Bless The Child’ and ‘Wish I Had An Angel’ and . . . !!! Sorry - too difficult!!! Do me (yourself) a favour and watch them all!!! She has also released one or two samples from her new (upcoming) solo album ‘My Winter Storm’. I have taken the liberty of uploading one of them onto my business website for you to download and have a listen to (and by the way it’s HER download i.e. it’s available as a FREELY DISTRIBUTABLE download from the album’s website but you have to register on the site before you can download it so I’ve saved you the trouble). The link is http://fintrans.net/tarja/tarja_turunen_ciarans-well.mp3. Now that’s ‘my’ Tarja!!!

I could go on about this (her) for ages but I won’t. Actually - to ‘sum up’ - I quote my ten year old daughter here saying (this said after much ‘indoctrination’ of course): ‘Tarja is fine dining and French Champagne - Amy Lee (Evanescence - also ‘one of the best’) is beer and pretzels’!!!

Anyway - if I’m ever going to meet ‘the lady’ - I had better get on with some work now (trading). I’ll post some TRADING info just now after I’ve ‘checked out what’s happening’ with the markets!!!

(By the way - now that things are going well again - I decided to put her back)!!!

Regards,

Dale.

PS - Administrators - PLEASE don’t delete THIS message of mine - I won’t post links EVER AGAIN to .mp3 files or youtube (or the like) - I just HAD to post this one. I think I’ve been ‘doing good’ on this thread so I hope you’ll forgive me this one ‘little slip’!!!

OK - well - ‘back to the land of dreams’!!!

WTF is going on with Gold!!! I only have two positions open at the moment - GOLD and (yep - you guessed it EUR/RON) - and they’re both killing me!!! Gold is (right now) at a $4K loss and EUR/RON is back up to a $1.6K loss!!! What is going on here (at this rate I’ll get to see Tarja when she’s in a home for the aged and she’s younger than me)!!!

I also see that the GBP is ‘having problems’ today!!! It also looks like I missed out on some ‘grand’ GBP/JPY trades while I as typing my ‘Tarja’ message earlier!!! I’m going to send her the bill (actually - on second thought - I’m going to send Glendon the bill - he started it)!!!

Anyway - how is everybody doing with all of this? Who is following what? From ‘where I sit’ this SMA (EMA) ‘thing’ combined with Parabolic SAR is ‘top of the pops’. I know that waiting for the prices to close above or below the 50 SMA and / or the 50 EMA is costing some PIP’s BUT the profits are ‘surer’ by the looks of things. Comments???

Regards,

Dale.

You know - I don’t know if it’s my ‘place’ to say this - but I’d really like to thank everyone that posts on, and follows, this thread - for ‘keeping it clean’.

I was just going through some of ‘other’ threads (here - and on ‘that other forex forum’ - you know the one - where there are only ‘know it alls’) and some of the threads really have gotten ‘personal’ and ‘ugly’ - and we don’t have that here.

I mean - I know we ‘goof off’ sometimes - you know - discuss ‘personal issues’ and ‘joke around’ and have learned to ‘fool the system’ with our ‘profanity’ - but we’ve never had ‘ugliness’ here. I think that we really have a ‘special bunch of people’ here on this thread (I wasn’t including myself in that by the way - it’s my opinion of you ‘guys and dolls’).

I know I’ve been wrong (sometimes) - and I appreciate the fact that nobody has ‘laid into me’ when there has been a difference of opinion and has just been happy to disagree and give me their reasons.

Thanks.

Dale.

OK - well - again ‘scouring’ the charts - a nice ‘simple short term solution’ for you:

5 Minute charts
Maximum margin (NEVER quote me on this one)
Parabolic SAR
50 EMA or 50 SMA

Take ANY Parabolic SAR entry signal to go short when the price of the bar that has just given you the Parabolic SAR entry signal to go short has closed below the 50 EMA or 50 SMA and continue to take Parabolic SAR entry signals to go short for as long as the price is closing below the 50 EMA or 50 SMA. The MA’s should be ‘going down’.

Take ANY Parabolic SAR entry signal to go long when the price of the bar that has just given you the Parabolic SAR entry signal to go long has closed above the 50 EMA or 50 SMA and continue to take Parabolic SAR entry signals to go long for as long as the price is closing above the 50 EMA or 50 SMA. The MA’s should be ‘going up’.

For initial stop losses you use the 50 EMA or 50 SMA or Parabolic SAR - whichever is closer to the price. This is to keep you from losing too much when the price is closing above and below the MA’s for a couple of bars.

For ‘insurance’ you could use the MACD Oscillator (forget about the MACD MA’s as it just gets confusing) i.e. confirmation to go short is the MACD Oscillator being below the zero line and confirmation to go long is the MACD Ocscillator being above the zero line.

I’ve spent most of the morning playing around with EMA’s and SMA’s - and you people should go and mess around with them and try different values and different type of MA’s and see what you come up with.

I’ll tell you something else for nothing: if you JUST traded the 50 EMA or 50 SMA you’d STILL make nice profits on the shorter timeframes.

I mean - just look at the attached chart of USD/DKK (ignore Parabolic SAR for now although I have left it on the chart). If you went short when the price closed below the MA’s and stayed short until the price EVENTUALLY crossed back up and closed above the MA’s you’d still be in the ‘major bucks’ and this seems to hold true on any pair (but this ‘play’ defintely ‘favours’ the shorter timeframes it would seem).

I’m actually quite ‘upset’ with myself at the moment - I’ve missed so many trades this morning - and good ones too - not concentrating and spending too much time ‘analysing’ and getting ‘analysis paralysis’ and there is only one trading day left this week. Not good!!!

By the way Akram - you should be ‘crying’ as well at the moment - because if Silver is following Gold - then you’re pretty much in the same position as I am at the moment. Gold is REALLY ‘getting under my skin’. The only reason I have not closed this position at a (now) over $5K loss is because I KNOW it will turn at some point - and - when it does - I can tell you that pairs like GBP/AUD and GBP/CAD (Oil is also going up again) and pairs like that are going to help be ‘kick Gold’s butt’!!! Just have a look at the 5 minute chart of GBP/AUD at the moment. When that finally reverses - ‘oh boy oh boy’!!!

Just ‘thowing in’ some more observations - not meant to confuse - but to promote ‘experimentation’ and generate ‘interest’ and to stimulate ‘curiousity’!!!

Dale.

This is going to sound ‘silly’ but I’ve been asking myself this question:

‘Why BOTH the 50 EMA AND the 50 SMA’?

I’ve been trying to see whether or not there really is a point to using both and it would appear that there is.

Take a look at the attached chart (AUD/USD - 5 minutes).

The 50 EMA had already started to indicate a downtrend BUT the 50 SMA is still pointing up. In other words - the 50 SMA seems to give a ‘stronger trend reversal indication’ than the 50 EMA - and I always thought that it would be the other way around.

In other words - what I’m saying - is that they BOTH have to be going in the same direction to confirm a trend.

Uh - by the way - am I the only person trading today??? Did I say something wrong??? What???

Regards,

Dale.