Political Opinion

Dang! You guys always beat us to it, like having Marxist’s before we did!
And thank you for solidifying my conclusion.

1 Like

You’re right, Stan.

But, with dingbats like Bernie Sanders and AOC,
the Dummocrats are trying hard to catch up.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez cartoon - 3

Ultimately, it will end up like this: The Ash Heap of History
(as Ronald Reagan famously described it).

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez cartoon - 1

But, the question is: How can we stop these fools,
before they turn this country into North Venezuela.

Venezuela cartoon - 1

2 Likes

I think you’ll find that is more down to the political correctness of the snowflake generation and their propensity to “Groupthink” , as promulgated by “Social media algorythms” - but hey who cares ?

1 Like

One might wish to mention things like “GAZA Strip” - but some people seem to be above criticism

This is not the right place to discuss the politics; it will not help us to trade better. But of course markets and economy depends on the political situation and it stability very much, so we need to be aware of what’s going on. Just please do not go deep in your own preferences and do not create fight here.

I’m pretty sure it is the right place to discuss politics. I would say it should be the ONLY
place to discuss politics.

3 Likes

You have been here for less than 2 months, and this is only your fourth post in this forum. So, maybe you haven’t had time to do much reading. Specifically, maybe you haven’t read the first post in this thread.

The last sentence in that post addresses your discomfort with this discussion of politics. Here it is:

Wrong again. A no-holds-barred discussion of anything political is what this thread is about.

Quoting again from that first post:

2 Likes

Serious question - what fair and reasonable ideas has he had? News is full of Trump bashing, mostly for good reason IMO.

He talked about some financial regulation deregulation, that sounded interesting, but I haven’t heard much since maybe some payday lending laws were changed (which wasn’t really anything of interest to me).

So many of his other decisions have been very divisive.

Now today is my Birthday and I open my computer to this. Now some might say " oh how sweet" I think it is just downright CREEPY

1 Like

Dennis, try hovering over the doodle - does it say ‘happy birthday Dennis’?

I know of guys putting tape over their camera lens on laptops…

Edit - happy birthday :).

1 Like

I had to register at Facebook to subscribe to a private service I was interested in.
I skipped all the input except my name, and it still “pre-filled”, like, 10 things.
Birthdate was one of them.
Anyone else refusing to find out your birth DNA by PAYING a service to send you results(and register you).

1 Like

Yes you are correct, that is even more creepy. what is next, when a close relative dies will I get a doodle with condolences , how about when having a baby, will it know that too.

I already do that , I hear that Mark Zuckerberg plugs a microphone into the microphone jack then cuts the cord in effect disabling the builtin microphone

1 Like

I’m in that camp.

There’s a story, not sure if it’s Urban folklore, that a couple had turned off Alexa discussed a trip to Japan for a week at the table didn’t do any searching online for it and then ads for trips to Japan started showing up in their browsers.

KC

1 Like

It is for this reason my primary search engine is DuckDuckgo, I have disabled most of Siri functions and their is no way in hell Jeff Bezos CIA sponsored spy device “Alexa” will ever be in my home

Cartoon - 7

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s not easy although there are little things that we can do.

Rule one - always log out of ALL google accounts when googling (likely google+ has your birthdate on the profile page)

Clear cookies every so often.

Use incognito mode when browsing in chrome.

@frandlost story - I’ve seen similar in action - still haven’t figured how they did it but they did.

Back in the day in this geo location there were certain words that if you spoke them on the landline you would hear a click - and that was before smart technology like today.

1 Like

Except for getting the year wrong, I would say George Orwell was the greatest prophet of our time

1a

2 Likes

I got fed up with being tracked by Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox — and their associated search engines Bing, and Google — and then being solicited by the vendors who acquired my data from those browsers and search engines.

So, about 3 years ago, I downloaded the Epic Privacy Browser, and now my primary browser is Epic, and my primary search engine is Epic Search.

The Epic Privacy Browser screens out pop-up ads, and blocks trackers. Example: About 30 minutes after opening my browser today, Epic reported that it had already blocked 35 trackers.

On my computer, I still have my previous “spy-browsers” — IE (I guess now they call it Microsoft Edge), Google, and Firefox. But, I use them only when necessary.

Epic is merciless when it comes to filtering, and sites whose ads are being blocked know it. Some of them fight back by blocking my access to their sites, unless I exclude them from Epic’s ad-blocker. Instead of doing that, I usually just switch (temporarily) to Firefox, if I want to continue on one of those sites.

For years, I was able to access everything, except the ads, on Finance Magnates (a site that I visit frequently). But, just recently, the images accompanying the Finance Magnates (FM) articles have all been blacked out on the Epic browser, but not on any other browser. I’m guessing that this is being done by FM to fight back against blockers like Epic.

In most cases I can do without the images accompanying the FM articles. But, as always, the last resort in this case is simply to open Firefox temporarily, in order to see what FM was blocking.

I can browse the Babypips site all day without seeing ads. But Epic and/or Trading View blocks the charts on the Babypips Rates page. So, when I go to Rates, I can access the page of live prices, but when I click on a particular instrument (Bitcoin/USD, for instance), I get a Trading View chart without candles. So, I have to switch to one of the spy-browsers (I generally default to Firefox), open Babypips > Rates, and then click BTCUSD to get the chart I want.

And I’m well aware that while I’m on Firefox, I’m being tracked.

If you’re obsessed with privacy, as I am, you can feel secure surfing the web on the Epic browser. Proof of the effectiveness of Epic’s tracker-blocking is when you shop online for cars (or whatever) — shopping that normally would subject you to a blizzard of follow-up advertising from trackers who have access to your searches. Not only will you never be solicited on your Epic browser by sellers of cars (or whatever you were searching), but you won’t be solicited on any of your other browsers either, because none of those would-be trackers had access to your searches.

And there are even more sensitive issues than online shopping.

Suppose you want to investigate bomb-making materials, not because you intend to build a bomb, but just because you are curious. Or suppose you want to learn more about bi-polar disorder, or how to fight an IRS audit, or any number of other topics of interest.

What you absolutely don’t want is for some tracker (you will never even know is lurking in the background) to develop a “profile” of you as “a mentally unstable person, who has a beef with the IRS, and is planning to build a bomb”.

Epic can limit access to your private life by most trackers. And it can limit the traces left behind in your computer after you have completed your searches, closed your browser, and shut everything down.

However, it’s doubtful that Epic, or any other blocking technology available for free to the general public, can stop the data-gathering of the National Security Agency (NSA). It’s not for nothing that the NSA has 14 acres of computer servers buried underground at Fort Meade, Maryland, and a data center many times larger than that, somewhere in Utah.

In my view, the only sensible thing is to assume that every phone-call (cell-phone, or land-line), every email, every computer search, and indeed every bit of internet traffic is swept up by the NSA. It may not be immediately flagged for review by an analyst, but it exists (forever) in an archive that can be searched. And those data can be retrieved, if the government ever gets interested in developing a profile of you.

For now, in my opinion, the only modes of communication safe from the routine scrutiny of the NSA are snail-mail, and face-to-face conversations in secure locations.

Maybe I’m paranoid. But, even paranoid people can have real enemies.

3 Likes

send in the clowns — democrat candidates for president — 2020

Democrat candidates - 1

2 Likes