Political Opinion

The US retains a 19th/20th century overseas empire. But it operates now by destroying regimes and backing out asap, its not expansionist in the blatant geographical sense like Russia is.

The US could put up good arguments why it needs to destroy certain regimes and I would probably go along with most of them. But in the long run, destroying a country’s infrastructure and means of government and then abandoning it is a terrible waste of resources and capabilities, human and material.

Definitely think a thread on US healthcare would be simply excellent. I think it deserves a topic dedicated to how the US go about healthcare on a large scale.

Tom, maybe you can give us some background why you have it in for Russia. As someone who just turned 60, for my whole life I was told that Russia was bad or should I say the Soviet Union. But today Russia is just a fraction the country it was as the Soviet Union, China on the other hand has a population 10 times that of Russia and a repressive communist government that can wipe out thousands of its own people and we would never read a word about in the press. China is the real threat

1 Like

USA is the bigger threat than China. Who put the US in charge of the world? Who gave them permission to decide how other nations should be run, and by whom? Now that other nations are overtaking them technologically, they find other excuses to undermine them and then dictate to the rest of us whether or not we can trade with them.

2 Likes

Eddieb, you are preaching to the choir. As in my earlier post, I equate the US Military to that of the Empire from Star Wars. but the comparison was between Russia and China, China clearly has the upper hand as far as economics, and China is full steam ahead in realizing George Orwell’s 1984

Marxist Communism combined with the tech needed for a true Orwellian society, what could possibly go wrong

2 Likes

Hi Dennis.
Unconnected to the discussion so far but important nonetheless, looking back at the fallout following the collapse of the Soviet Union, which still continues today, I am strongly of the opinion that moving away from a one-party system in China would be calamitous, not just for China but also globally.
Given time, I think the current Chinese system would continue to evolve away from its origins naturally but I fear that external pressure to change would only make the current leader(s) dig their heels in and slow down change.

I do indeed have it in for Russia, but I see at least as great a prospect of global war is with China, in the South China Sea region. It could be a toss-up between who drags the west into a world war first - China in South East Asia or Russia in the Baltic.

Actually, maybe its not Russia that is the Russian problem, maybe it is just Putin. Time will tell.

Why is the water unsafe in the US?

Because of Trump?

I believe he has weakened the EPA’s authority but otherwise I don’t know why Dennis would say this.

Allow me to butt in here.

published 8/9/16

published 8/14/17

published 2/12/18

published 3/8/19

3 Likes

Its an appalling picture Clint. I assume political expediency has got in the way of running the country well for its people.

Hmmm… over 20 years ago I watched Neil Diamond in Croke Park, Dublin sing these lyrics to thousands - there were images flashing not unlike those of the video - perhaps my own people seeking a new life - a dream.

The images are over 100 years old and even today they still come, yes some of the younger guys overstay, yes it’s illegal but their dream is still to be Americans.

If the USA is such a ‘threat’ then why does it have an immigration problem?

…and why do all the ones that say they are leaving every time a Republican is elected President
stay?

Maybe it’s not who is President that caused them to come, maybe it’s what is good about the US since July 4th 1776 that counts. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

With a net migration rate of 3.9 people per 1,000 (2017) its not as big a problem as politicians would have you believe

Sadly, this is 2019.

I’ll not quote the oft times reference to “statistics and damn lies” which is easily googable.

Instead I’ll recount some of my own experience of the USA - the great threat.

Stood outside Disney in Time Sq, whilst wife and daughters are inside, heat slightly overbearing, reach for water bottle, open the top only to see it fall to the side walk amongst a sea of feet, it actually did a spin before disappearing.

Within seconds a smiling teen was handing me the top.

Then again we took the wrong train underground… the entire carriage when realizing our mistake came together, much debate, then ‘here guys, here is what you need to do.’

I could tell you much much more, our visit on a 9/11 date, it’s the people of America that makes America great :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We are only halfway through 2019.
Why “sadly”, are you saying that net migration has gone up significantly since Trump took power?

Yes. I am saying ILLEGAL immigration has gone up significantly since Trump took power, if that’s the clarification you were looking for?