Political Opinion

your quotes on marriage don’t make any sense
For one you didn’t reference verses

Second you are not taking into account dispensationalism which most Evangelical Christians believe in.

(side note) many remarks were made in this thread about the dark ages and I wanted to simply say that not all Christians and not all churches participated in that very ugly period of history. I am not here to single out any church, I’m just sayin

Cyco you seem to enjoy looking up scripture and seem reasonably good at it. Why don’t you get a Thompsan Chain bilble and study with a little depth?

Here is a tip for anyone reading the bible. Don’t just read Jesus’ words look at what He did and How he acted. It will bring your understanding to a new level.

As far as evolution goes. There is no doubt in my mind that some sort of adapting goes on in nature. For example you lift a heavy weight and your muscles grow bigger. or you stretch daily and you become more flexible.

Can nature adapt? I would say yes but to me it is a part of God’s design simple as that. Obviously we all had to start somewhere, even if you believe in the big bang theory that cloud of particles had to come from somewhere.

Can nature adapt? I would say yes but to me it is a part of God’s design simple as that. Obviously we all had to start somewhere, even if you believe in the big bang theory that cloud of particles had to come from somewhere.

Indeed research the Kauffman theory of Cosmology, which states the universe had a beginning, it wasn’t always there, because the universe is expanding from a central point, which Einstein confirmed along with others, such as Mr. Hubble, and so to reverse time simply shows all the mass and energy coming from a single point, and before that, nothing.

Remarkable. Cyco if you do not mind me asking, are you the guy in your avatar? Why did you only respond to only a portion of my post and avoid the more difficult questions and arguments I posed?

Regardless, do you seriously believe that you have painted an accurate portrait of marriage with those “word search” results you have posted? Can one argue that they are completely out of context? I would think so. I note the complete omitting of the books of Ephesians and Corinthians - intriguing. It is impossible to convince someone of purpose and sanctity of marriage as envisaged by God if that person has frightfully little knowledge of the Bible in it’s proper context. Are you telling me that I can read and have adequate understanding of entire 1000 page books by doing a simple word search? I should have tried that in university!

So Christians are at a disadvantage when it comes to forex? Now that is intriguing. But great, I will take that as encouragement to make certain that I succeed as a forex trader. I would be more than happy to introduce you to a successful Christian forex trader if you’d like? In fact, you may already know him…

Did they die? No
Did they know good from evil? Yes
Looks like it was being honest, sorry to bust your bubble there…

Just a note to anyone who reads this in the future - I hope you smiled as much as I did when I read this! Cyco I’m trying my hardest to not be condescending, but this particular post of yours has shown me how immature your understanding of the Bible is.
“Did they die?”… Was God referring to [B]physical[/B] death the instant they ate the fruit? No. I’ll leave the rest for you to figure out.
Let me get this straight - you are going to take our Bible, the word of God, (which you don’t believe is true) and tell me that the Devil is not a compulsive liar because what he said was true. Do you believe in the Bible or not??? That is honestly laughable. I imagine he is fairly bemused by his successful con of you in particular.

Maybe you should talk to the many church goers of New Orleans, and areas like that, that are still working to but their city back together 7 years on from Katrina.

Yes, perhaps I should. Although those poor souls aren’t even allowed to preach the word of God without being persecuted (Christians Arrested for Preaching in New Orleans After Sunset; Police Vow to Target Churches Next | Christian News Network). Could you substantiate your claim by perhaps mentioning some of the churchgoers who have passed away from hunger or thirst?

This is not proof. This is a guess. I respect the story, keeps the kids from being naughty, like Santa Claus.

Nice! I was hoping you’d say that :wink: Whether or not you will admit it, evolution is essentially a religion as well (funnily enough that would include you guys with us feeble-minded folks at the lower end of the IQ spectrum). We believe that God created the universe from nothing. You believe that the universe was created out of a small dot of matter which was created from… nothing! Hey presto!

Now unless Newton’s First Law of Thermodynamics is incorrect - I’d be happy to hear you argue for that - then I’m afraid that it isn’t possible to create energy from nothing. This effectively means that for your big bang theory to work, someone must have created that matter in the first place. Evolutionists admit themselves that they have no idea what created that initial matter - i.e. you’re believing in something that is unproven and at best, a guess. Wait a minute! Isn’t that what you just said about me believing in God’s creation of the world?! Ahhh hahaha!

Can you explain something to me, since you’re a scientist? Do you know about the conservation of angular momentum? According to evolutionists (correct me if I’m wrong), that little dot of matter that blew up and created the universe (funny word that word ‘universe’, from Latin’s ‘uni’ and ‘verse’, meaning ‘one sentence’) was spinning violently in one direction before it exploded. Objects executing motion around a point possess a quantity called angular momentum. This is an important physical quantity because all experimental evidence indicates that angular momentum is rigorously conserved in our universe: it can be transferred, but it cannot be created or destroyed. Since this dot was spinning clockwise (according to evolutionists), when it exploded, all of the matter which it flew out and created the world as we knew it would have received a similar spinning trajectory - clockwise. Why, pray tell, do some planets and moons spin counter-clockwise then?

The best (and cheapest) way to reduce crime is to have a society of Christians content with their faith. People that honestly believe they have a God watching over them do not feel the same need for [B]personal revenge[/B] that secular people do. Of course, practically speaking you can say this about any religion that teaches to “love thy neighbor as oneself”.

Yes, but most evangelicals are taught the “pre-tribulation rapture” version. That’s funny because when I read the scriptures it all strongly suggests “post-tribulation rapture” to me. But you can’t even find a denomination that teaches that.

Plus post-tribulation rapture fits better with the Orthodox Jewish version coming of “Messiah”. Why should Christians expect special treatment at the end of the world? Explain that to Peter while he was being crucified upside down for his Lord. You’d of probably gotten a big grin out of him!

What changed “god’s” mind between the old testament, and the new testament?

Two different approaches for sure…

Bleh… I was once a devout Christian when I was a teenager and thoroughly believed in Revelations, end of the world etc. Then I read the Old Testament and discovered some real f*cked up ****. Since then I’ve been an atheist.

I thoroughly recommend reading “The Grand Design” by Stephen Hawking.

This is an excellent point. I assume most successful forex traders use evidence-based systems and strategies when trading.

I ran across a t-shirt that says everything about the state of our country today:

Ineptocracy: A system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

What changed "god's" mind between the old testament, and the new testament?
Two different approaches for sure... 

Basically the old testament was “the law” which was impossible to fulfill. That is why Jews did burnt offerings and sacrefices. In fact Pharasees (high priests) in there time believed if any man could adhere to all those laws for three days the messiah would come.
Of course that never happened
To follow all of God’s laws would be impossible

Enter Jesus. Jesus is God’s way to make intercession for us and to unite us to our creator. The new testament is focused on Jesus life and His teachings. Because we have Jesus we do not rely on “the law” and therefore the New testament trumps the old.

But we are all like an unclean thing,
And all our righteousness are like filthy rags

This quote is from Isaiah 64 and it basically means that no matter what laws are followed, no matter how good we think we are we are still like a filthy rag compared to God’s righteousness. Another words salvation cannot be earned nor can it be bought. it was a gift that is freely given. Jesus dieing on the cross and resurrecting reconciled us with God and because of that we are no longer bound by the law for which we would surly perish because nobody could follow them all.

Where can I get this shirt?

GOOGLE “INEPTOCRACY”

It will give you a list of vendors, I looked at them, too, and they have several different styles…I like because it’s right on.

You seem like you are intelligent and sensible, so let’s see if my argument will hold any weight with you.

You will notice that most atheists / agnostics have a problem with the Old Testament and often employ it almost solely in their arguments against the Christian faith. The New Testament resonates with most of us for a simple reason, because it applies to each of us individually in our relationship with our creator. The Old Testament however, is almost entirely a book of law written to the nation of Israel as God guided them from infancy. The OT is written to a nation, not to individuals.

If you read the book in an unbiased manner, you will readily note that the God of the OT is still exactly the same God in the NT. His love and grace are still precisely the same. What has changed in the NT is that the law (as defined in the OT) has been abolished and replaced by the redeeming love of Jesus which has cleansed us of all our sins. We therefore no longer live under any laws, particularly those of the OT. Jesus says “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” This is the only command Jesus gives us. By living under grace, it is thus up to us to make the decision between right and wrong. Regardless of any of our sins, we are redeemed by Christ. We are not required to constantly repent of the sins (as is so often alluded to by atheists). And before anyone says: “Oh so Christians can commit atrocities without consequence” - this is an inaccurate statement made only by those who have no idea what it means to be under the grace of God. We do the right thing not because we are compelled to do so by some law, but because we are convicted in our hearts to know right from wrong.

Anyway, Christians follow the good news of Jesus and live in accordance with his guidance, not by the laws of the OT. To live in that manner means that one is trying to prove themselves worthy by their good deeds and acts, which is impossible, since humans are inherently sinful. So essentially, using the OT to disprove Christianity is a misguided argument.

There is a wide range of evidence that wonderfully joins together to establish the case for the sacred character of the Old Testament writings. The astounding prophecies, the incredible unity, the uncanny accuracy—these circumstances (and much more) make an indisputable case for the divine nature of the Old Testament. The OT serves a number of purposes, here are some:

1. A historical reference - explanation of the earth’s creation and how man has progressed since then. Note, there is no fact of science that is in conflict with the biblical record of origins.
  2. The fall of man - Satan’s temptation of man, leading to all the problems we now face as a direct result.
  3. Sin defined - the laws of the OT are like a spotlight on sin, even though as humans our conscience does to some degree illustrate right from wrong.
  4. Our need for a Saviour - the entire OT is almost a preparation of sorts for the coming of Jesus. The prophets of the OT all mentioned references to Christ’s coming.
  5. The nature of God - The OT documents are rich in wonderful details about the nature of the great God of the universe.
  6. Examples and warnings - examples of obedience and disobedience and the rewards and penalties associated with each.
  7. Principles for Godly living - The OT contains countless examples of divine principles that are timeless in their application (for example, the book of Proverbs). These are helpful to God-seeking people in any age or in any culture.

My faith is in the person of Jesus, whom I’m convinced has revealed the creator God of the universe.

I am sorry to hear that. It appears that you have misunderstood the word of God. If you ever do wish to obtain a deeper understanding of why the Old Testament exists, I’d be more than happy to elaborate :slight_smile:

The average person knows more about theoretical physics than Stephen Hawking knows about God.

Reminds me of a Stephen Hawking quotation which I posted some time ago — 301 Moved Permanently

Sorry for butting in. — I’ll go back to lurking now.

In the Old Testament humans had to pay for being unworthy disobedient “sinners”. In the New Testament Jesus paid the price by being the perfect sacrifice ( what better is there than the perfect sinless son or god?

I don’t understand how people can argue without even knowing what’s going on on the opposite side. I would say a majority of Christians and non believers don’t take much time to think it through.

God created people because he’s God and he loves his creation so he gave us free will. Parents do the same thing with their kids. Sure we know are kids are going to do something wrong maybe even grow up to sue us but we still have them. What good would our worship be to him if we didnt choose to do it.

EDIT: whoops been skimming didnt see Johnny and pure muscle already replied.

One thing I wonder. Of God is God. He makes the rules. Why did he require us to pay for our sins in blood?

Also we should have an understanding of the old school Jewish culture be we talk about a lot of this stuff like wives and all.

Noah and the ark? Abraham and sodom and Gomorrah God has a record of saving the believers beforehand.

I’ve read stuff that says Christians have higher IQs. Not specifically critical thinking and problem solving tho. But why solve a problem when you’ve been told the answer :-D.

I really don’t think we can even understand the God that we re talking about here. He’s infinite the human brain can’t comprehend that.

Jews smarter? Why is the IQ of Ashkenazi Jews so high?

Religion have the answer and try to find the problem…
Science has the problem and try to find the answer…
but, arghs!, the results differ…

Thats an unproven rumor created by some church members and denied by Darwins family. however, in the case that this would be true, what a man says on his deathbed doesnt affect the validity of his theory.
150 years since Darwin, do you think nobody has investigated it? The theory has changed in this 150 years
I dont know if this is true, but obviously, he was wrong
False… well, yes all catholics biologists agree that cells were created by god, i dont doubt it. However the international community has accepted evolution theory.

even vegetables cells are more productive, more complex and more efficient than an automobile manufacturing plant. You should take a look at some Nasa “toys” you will discover they are as complex as a cell, actually there is something called biotechnology, investigate it, you will be surprised about human “Divine” inteligence…

All mamals have exactly the same cell structure; so our cells arent different from other mammals.
the only difference is on the genetic part, wich is were the genetics materials are codified. Genetics saves caracteristics of every specie… and our genetics is just a 2% different from chimpanzees genetics…[B]So our cells are 99,9 % identical. Great refuting proof in your favor… [/B]
Darwins theory doesn’t refute god existance. The Church of England apologised Darwin for misunderstanding his theory of evolution, and the vatican said that it is not incompatible with catholicism… So you CAN change your mentality and accept it, dont worry, you will not burn in hell for this. :slight_smile:

I thought it was 3%

My personal view is that science and innovation does work within God’s framework and I am certain that he allows it. Don’t get me wrong there are so many things I just don’t understand. How somebody can kill 19 children? or how a tsunami can kill millions. Honestly I don’t get it but than again I don’t have God’s perspective either.

All I know is I love technology and there are some amazing innovations like nanobots and other things that I am sure that I am not eve aware of.

When kid practices karate and his teacher teaches him about his inner “chi” I don’t get upset or think ow my God how can he be teaching that its so ungodly!

My thinking is exactly opposite. I believe there is inner chi or whatever you want to call it. I’m sure there are chakras and things like that. I believe that acupuncture and other types of naturalistic medicine works.

I believe that God gave us free will and allows it to take us where it has.

I also believe there is an abuse in technology for example cloning scares me (other than cloning hair lol!) and things like that not to mention abortion but that is another discussion entirely!

Anyway god gave us these wonderful minds and our knowledge base is exploding. By now we are doubling every what two years every year? If you look at cells for example they are amazing! When I first believed in God it was because my son was born and I was certain that my 1/2 cell and my wife’s 1/2 cell were only part of the equation.

And when somebody dies you can see the life slip away from them leaving an empty shell. There must be something more than this life and if there isn’t what harm are Christians doing? It’s a win win.

The only way I’ll really be up the creak without a paddle is if I die and find out satan is in charge, than I guess I’m hit :smiley: