Political Opinion

I didn’t see that he edited that part of his post. But you are quite correct, it isn’t about casting literal stones. Not sure why MT mentioned that.

The Bible cannot be proven to be inspired by God, for its not proven that God exists, nor can it be proven with our existing technology.
And yes, I refer to supernatural because God is supernatural. I don’t believe in hocus pocus, and I believe that everything has a rationale explanation.

God can be explained, just not by the technology we have today.

It’s easy to believe magic occurred when it sounds like it happened so long ago. It allows people to dispel reality. But the fact of the matter is that it all can reasonably be explained.

I believe they were stoning some lady or were about to, and he said that to them. I can’t remember the whole story.

Yes, but what was the purpose of what Jesus said? Was he literally just saying that we shouldn’t throw stones unless we are without sin?

I think MT missed the point of that verse. Jesus is forgiving, it’s all the more evident from the fact that he did not throw a stone at the woman in question.

Was talking about gun control earlier with somebody. That comes up a lot lately.

I ended up looking for a some stats on violent crime comparing europe to the u.s.

I found the data for the u.s. on fbi site
FBI — Violent Crime

European union commision is one ugly site and I had trouble finding the data, so I skipped it for now. If anyone else wants to give a go at it, please do.
European Commission

I ended up doing Canada, because I found the information easier.
Data table for chart 1

According to these sites for 2011 the violent crime rate for u.s. was 386.3.
I was actually surprised to see the Canadian violent crime rate so much higher at 866. More than double.

Now, when I brought it up, the person claimed the u.s. doesn’t take into account sexual assault. Which I know is bull, because it says right there in a pretty viewable area.

He also claimed that Canada counts non-aggravated assault. This is possible, but I didn’t find any evidence on the statcan site. I’m not sure where he got his information, but from the first thing, I’m less inclined to believe it. If anyone finds anything please post it.

Yes, I believe he was trying to make them question whether they really have a right to.

If I cheated on my girlfriend, and found out my girlfriend cheated on me, do I really have a right to pass judgement onto her?

I think when tax increases are made everybody should pay there way.

Seems unfair to me to expect someone to pay a disproportionate tax rate just because they have made a better life for themselves.

Granted some our born with money and never (really) have to work for it but I think I make my point.

Which more difficult questions? I have only so many hours in a day and may not have picked up what you think is more or less difficult. Make a clear, concise list for me to answer and I will do likewise for you.

Please post your sections that you believe are more accurate. It is not my part of the thread to try and make your points for you.

Can a compulsive liar tell the truth? If so, are they a compulsive liar? If this was satan why was god still allowing him in heaven till much later in the bible?
If you haven’t worked out that I don’t believe in the bible by now maybe you need to work on your analytical skills :wink:

Do you believe christians are above the law of the land? The law is against anyone, soliciting there, for whatever reason at those times. I suspect they should have been quietly moved on, rather than arrested, but without knowing any more of the specifics of the case I can’t comment on why the police chose to arrest them.
Hurricane Katrina — History.com Articles, Video, Pictures and Facts
Was there a shortage of food and water during hurricane Katrina
CNN: Fresh food shortage in New Orleans - YouTube

The difference between religion and a scientist who believes in evolution is that the scientist is willing and able to change their mind based on the presentation of facts.

Ignoring the semantics of the 1st line – Newton died about 70 years before the ideas of thermodynamic where first postulated, and it was another 70 on from that before the laws where clearly stated.

I suspect this is what you are referring to. At the start of the universe we don’t know what was there, we cannot measure it, but what we can do is experiments at high energy levels and look at what we see around us to work backwards from now to what it may have been like then. The last sentence of the law as it is stated there is the important part in this situation, we do not know if we are in an isolated system. Again, presentation of facts proving otherwise and I’ll change my mind.

Some, but not all, theorise that the universe may have been spinning, but to have a spin you must have a frame of reference. This would need to be outside the universe, and as we can’t get there it is only a theory. It would be unlikely to be violent if it did.
The use of the word vigorous is a misnomer, all energy is conserved, but it is converted between motion, heat, and mass. At the time of the very early universe it was almost all heat, and as it cooled it became mass.
With respect to the direction of any initial spin, and the spin in any planetary system, or galaxy to have it change it spin from clockwise to anti-clockwise all you have to do is look at it from the other side. As there is no big universal sign saying ‘^This way up^’ we can’t tell if we are looking at a clockwise spinning galaxy, universe, or something else. Our solar system is inclined at 60 degrees to the direction of motion of our galaxy, simply because that was the direction of the majority of the mass in the accretion disc around our sun at the time of the solar system’s formation.

Not a hollywood-inspired, but a language issue at 3:30 am. Dont need to say how poor my english is…

I referred to a sheep as a tamed animal. You can change sheeps for dogs, or even hamsters if you prefer…
I think its not that dificult to understand that we just can’t believe things writed in a 2k years book, wich are supposed to be the true answers to all questions the humanity have ever asked, just because the book itself says it…
Doesnt sound it senseless?
And more when you see there are few originals thinks in the bible… did god a copy-paste from other cultures myths? :wink:

And then a papa says that the hell doesnt exists, few years later the next papa says he was wrong…

Church is a taming business, a clear example of how to enslave humans mind for the benefit of few.

Cyco , Master Tang and others… We are losing our time here. Imagine you give a christian the irrefutable proof that his god does not exists, and bible story is just a farse, do you think he would change his mentality? he would destroy the proof, and keep believing like the first day. We cant teach maths to a guy who have been always thinking that 1+1=3, and has based all his mind structure, philosphy, and hope on this believe. We can’t teach common sense. how can we teach a blind the color blue? Not everybody is able to life out of matrix.

I think the key is not IQ but ignorance.

+ignorance=+religion

Gods were born from ignorance… humans creates firsts gods to explain atmospheric phenomenons, fire, the sun, death… things they cant understand. Then the middle age was the religions heyday, when the 99% people were illiterate.
Religion countless attempts to stop progress, to stop science, have failed. Their ignorance wall has been broken. People have begun to think for themselves. Now we can chose if we prefer to become dogs or wolves. Dogs has an easy life, but they are not free.

Are you saying science is a religion? Pls stop lying, i know you are not that stupid.
Thats a theory, science says that this CAN be the truth. Also do you know the multiverse theory? :wink:

However i dont negate this great arguments, but they prove nothing about Jesus… I can say now: the univers was created by a pink pegasus with 7 heads and yellow eyes. And give the same arguments you have been using the past 15 pages, and say: You can’t prove im wrong, so im right, wich has been your main argument. Cmon prove im wrong!!!

Inspired by god, because bible says it, lol, irrefutable proof! christian answers.net yes, what an impartial resource… Religions are based on beliefs, not in facts , by definition. If it was that clear jesus was the messiah, why only a minority follow him the first years? why most jews thought he was a liar?
There is no way to prove that what the bible says about god is the truth , 0 absolutely nothing. Do you think you have the irrefutable argument that humanity have not found in this last 2000 years?

Tell me the bible doesnt give god human qualities… selfish is a human quality ;)… So is god selfish? you will burn in hell for this… Goodness, perfection and selfish doesnt move toghetter. If god is the infinite goodness, why is this world that terrible, evil and unfair? Your answer is: because god is selfish… LOL… We finally agree! Why god need us to believe in him, and pray every sunday? isnt that another selfish action? but wait a moment, god has needs? Then its not that powerful, wich is clearly against god definition…

if you believe in god is because it gives you mental pleasure and less responsability. What is better than believing in something after life? why is that painful the idea that maybe there is just nothing? ask yourself why you believe in Jesus? Because a 2k years book tells you to? Because your parents tells you to? Would you believe in Jesus if he had said that everybody, without exeption, will burn in hell?

You are like this people who discover forex, deposit 500 dollars and plan to become millionaire in 2 month using a ma crossover. The hope of becoming rich doesnt let them use the common sense.
However you will not blow your account, but pay with your mind slavement. Believing in eternal life after death isnt free :wink:
Its worth the price?
Not for me.

:smiley:

Back to the beginning of this mess in the thread.
Norway – one of the world’s least religious countries has a jail population of 64/100,000
USA – not at the top, but much higher, has a jail population of 715/100,000
Norway also has 44% less class divide, spends 33% less on health care, is 64% more likely to be employed, and has an 83% lower likelihood of having HIV/AIDS

So it is a kind, caring, loving, god that sends bears out of the woods to kill children that make fun of a bald man?

I’m sorry, but that has to be one of the biggest loads of garbage I’ve ever read.
A short list of branches of science in conflict with the creation story:
Geomorphology, Hydrogeology, Mineralogy, Crystallography, Oceanography, Palaeontology, Petrology, Plate tectonics / Rheology, Volcanology, Sedimentology, Stratigraphy, Seismology, Structural Geology, Geochemistry, Classical Mechanics, Thermodynamics, Electromagnetism, Relativity, Quantum Mechanics, Anatomy, Biogeography, Bioengineering, Genetics, Immunobiology, Ethonology, and probably some others too.

Not quite no facts.

Europe to be fair is a very regional continent so I don’t think a direct comparison can be gained like for the US & Canada.

Eastern & Western Europe are very different cultures for example.

This debate is going nowhere slowly. I am happy to respectfully leave you guys to your beliefs about Darwinism, evolution etc and I will stick to my beliefs about Jesus Christ. I apologise if I at any time offended any of you guys because I will admit that I do say things out of turn when offended. One way or another, we will all discover truth at some stage in our lives.

There you go, everyone can be happy now and move along in their lives - back to “Political Opinion”.

Back to the beginning of this mess in the thread.
Norway – one of the world’s least religious countries has a jail population of 64/100,000
USA – not at the top, but much higher, has a jail population of 715/100,000
Norway also has 44% less class divide, spends 33% less on health care, is 64% more likely to be employed, and has an 83% lower likelihood of having HIV/AID

You are making my point, the US is going downhill, bigtime. Now, compare those current stats to say, 1948, when the spirit of nationalism was probably at it’s peak in the US, the crime and other bad stats where much lower then. America was recovering after WW2, the economy was setting itself up for a terrific boom, we had woken up a bit to reality. For a bit of time, we were united under our country’s cause. But it didn’t take very long for that to change. America has been deceived, and now we have guys with big solid gold crosses hanging from their necks on national TV, for all the world to see, singing about how they banged their “friend’s” girl (common law wife), and murdered, and stole, and …
Anyways, our culture today just stinks to high heaven. Oxygen is premiering this show, “All my baby’s mothers”, or something like that, where this rapper is going to show what it’s like to live with his 10 “girls” which he had 11 kids, all but 2 of them with different mothers. But is anyone crying polygomy? Not publically…it’s a disgrace.

That’s fine, we can use different countries in Europe. Doesn’t Europe as a whole have same gun control policies?

From what I’ve read from searching is that Britain and then the UK have highest violent crime rate, both beating out the US by a wide margin. I didn’t find the numbers from an official source though.

Yes, I would assume that to right and that’s probably why I felt it may distort any European figures. Although like you I have not looked into it in great detail. Only from looking at your post earlier.

Why I like texas…read for yourself, please.

Economy Grows, Revenues Increase After Texas Slashes Spending

The world is much freer now than it was back then. People are free to be stupid. And the govt committed many crimes against its own citizens back then (MK Ultra, Kent State massacre, Watergate, atomic testing, Southern strategy, segregation, Jim Crow laws, anti-abortion laws etc). I like to see the glass as half-full.

Freedom from morals is a very different thing than freedom from a tyrannical government.

I have not seen your personal character attacked one single time. Quite the contrary. I Think everyone has been civil despite the vast differences in beliefs.

I’ve seen people healed of things too. And nobody prayed for them. Not even themselves.

I neglected to mention nothing. Yes, god supposedly showered Job after the fact. But what “loving god” would have done that in the first place? That was the point. God isn’t as benevolent and forgiveng in the old testament as he supposedly comes off in the new

The only thing “wrong” with the bible is that it’s viewed as cold hard fact.

Show me where I’ve moved goal posts… I haven’t. Not one single time.

Judgmental and presumptuous. You know not about what I’ve read, nor my beliefs.

[quote=“PureMuscle,post:887,topic:42247”]

Peter and Paul did not hate each other, if you can prove otherwise I’d be happy to agree with you. The dispute between Peter and Paul revolved around one simple issue - Peter was called to preach the gospel of Jesus to the Jews, Paul was called to preach the same gospel to the Gentiles. Peter (for a while) incorrectly believed that the gospel pertained to Jews only (he somehow missed all of Jesus’ teachings to the contrary). Thankfully, he was subsequently corrected not only by Paul, but by God in Acts 11:1 - The apostles and the believers throughout Judea heard that the Gentiles also had received the word of God. So when Peter went up to Jerusalem, the circumcised believers criticized him and said, “You went into the house of uncircumcised men and ate with them.”
Starting from the beginning, QUOTE]

Yes I know the story. Peter was accused by Paul of being hypocritical. They had more than that single dust up though. Peter wasn’t fond of associating in any sort with the “circumcised”. It caused a fairly large rift at the time.

I didn’t say “HATE” I said practically hated. There was no love there. They had singularly different views of things.
And once again, you presume to know what I have, or in this case have not read.

Try again. It’s not about what Jesus, or the apostles did, or didn’t do, it’s about what transpired with what they did after they were gone.

The Catholics are convinced that Jesus himself was the founder of the church, and Peter was the first bishop. And 313 wasn’t the founding of the church, it was when christianity was legislated as an accepted church by Constantine.

Better answer than usual. It’s a bit more forgiving.

Translations have always been difficult. The inaccuracies start there. But technically there are two different versions of the bible. The Christian bible, and the protestant bible. That’s the one you are using. It’s missing books. 7 to be exact.

How can any gathering of any group of people be something without borders? There’s always a common thread.

And as for the Mormons, no, they do not expressly use their own book. They follow the bible. Closely. Closer than most evengelicals as a matter of fact.

I’m done with this topic too. Should someone open a “religion” thread I may, or may not join in. Kind of pointless. At the heart of it, I’m out to change no one’s beliefs. Those are personal, and deep seated. It’s more about the close mindedness, and absolute blinded belief exhibited by most Christians.

I know… I was raised one. I’ve read the bible cover to cover many times. The more I read, the more I found inconsistencies.
Of course true believers will again say there are no inconsistencies. That the word is perfect.

I beg to differ.

Nothing has changed. Look at the overreaction in OWS.

One could make the argument that the freedom we now possess has allowed the greatest atrocities ever to be perpetrated upon us. Why is nobody in jail for the banking crisis? They threw all kinds of people in jail back in the 70s with the savings and loan scandals. Those paled in comparison to what GS, Morgan Stanley, JP Morgan, AIG, and the rest of those thugs did.

Jon Corzine isn’t even in jail…