Political Opinion

I didn’t miss the point at all. Nobody threw a stone, because they were not without sin. But Jesus didn’t throw a stone either. And he was the most likely candidate to be able to do so. The perfect son of god. And a sinless sacrifice.

Those atrocities are due to lawbreaking, corruption, and certain laws passed by these guy’s buddies that infringed on freedom from gov’t.

I agree Mr. Corzine should be in a cell across from Mr. Madoff.

The idiots in gov’t in the late 90s passed laws that forced banks to offer loans to people who were formerly unqualified because they wouldn’t be able to pay them back, saying that the banks were refusing loans to “minorities” and other strawmen. A bank is smart enough not to offer a loan to someone they think can’t pay it back, but then those laws forced them to do it, anyway, and those loans became known as sub-prime. Then people got so bad not paying back those loans, that the Gov’t created Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, to buy these loans from the banks, and then later, took over these two entities. The main cause was people not paying their loans back-DON’T FORGET THAT! STOP BLAMING SOMEONE ELSE FOR CAUSING SOMETHING THAT THE PERPETRATOR DID!!! If you take a loan, you should pay it back.
Anyways, the banks to try to close their losses, figured out ways to put these bad loans into securities and dirivitives, without telling the people buying them that they were bad loans, SCORE ONE FOR A CORRUPT BANK! Banks are responsible to be honest and truthful, just like anyone else. I wouldn’t call lying to bond purchasers freedom. That’s breaking the law.
Then of course, inevitably, this piled high enough for basically a margin call, and the market corrected (crashed.)
The corruption didn’t end, of course, every one of those banks should have declared bankruptcy. This allows legal means to take losses, without shutting the doors, it works pretty well, many very large companies have had to go through it and survived and thrived on the other side. Instead they asked the Gov’t for our money and were given it. Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, still have unlimited credit lines, and now don’t have to report the amounts publically, (Thanks frank-dodd) so who knows how bad that is.
They paid back pennies on the dollar, same with GM and AIG. The Gov’t gained control inside these companies, too…corrupt as all get out.
Freedom isn’t freedom from abiding by the law and good morals. It is attached to rule of law and good morals.
Too bad the gov’t has all this immunity, awful convienient to write laws to take other people’s money, and give it to a voter base as a bribe.

Amazingly truthful analogy of how idiotic this whole situation is:

But wait, there’s more! The biggest problem I personally have with evolutionary theory is if we are really living in a universe that spontaneously produces life, where is it! So, where’s ET?

Remember Carl Sagan? He was so convinced of life on other planets that he co-founded the Search for Extraterrestrials Institute (SETI). There have been many other such projects. Evidently the Church of Scientology has built an “alien space cathedral” in New Mexico that sends messages to UFOs (Tom C. what were you thinking, man!).

Revealed: Church of Scientology’s ‘alien space cathedral’ in New Mexico desert: report - NY Daily News

So what’s come of it all? Unless there’s a massive X-Files government conspiracy going on, nothing. Not so much as an alien radio wave. For a universe that should be teaming with life, things are pretty quiet. I wonder why?

Because we are a teeny teeny tiny little dot in a place so big our pea brains can’t even comprehend.

We, and they (whomever presumably else lives out there because odds are they do) are literally needles looking for each other in the proverbial haystack. Only smaller. There’s 200 to 400 BILLION stars just in our own galaxy. Let alone there’s many times that amount of galaxies. Do the math. With that many possibilities, the odds on life elsewhere are still better than one of us winning the lottery.

A really cool video to at least attempt to grasp it is called “The Powers of Ten”.

This is pretty neat
Saturn Moon Has Water Geysers and, Just Maybe, Life

Yes that’s very cool. Maybe that argument holds up or is plausible if you’re looking for microbes. But if evolution is for real, we shouldn’t assume human beings represent the pinnacle of intelligence in the Universe. If a more advanced civilization was out there, THEY would be looking for US with much more advanced technologies. They should have found us already.

Thanks, but I’ve been reading these same sorts of articles for the past 30 years. Use to be fascinating, but now just boring. Always the same… There “might be” life here or there. Nothing ever comes of it.

Maybe…

But even though you say we shouldn’t assume things, you’re still assuming a lot there. Not all life is intelligent. Just look at Congress.

And not all life may be more advanced.

If there ARE more advanced civilizations, what would be their inspiration for seeking us out? There are loads of planets/meteors/moons with the same resources we have. Probably closer to home for them.

If they ARE looking for us, my guess is there is a high probability they may not be so benign.

the problem is certain constants that must be at precise values:

Fine Tuning of the Physical Constants of the Universe Parameter\ Max. Deviation
Ratio of Electrons:Protons\ 1:1037
Ratio of Electromagnetic Force:Gravity\ 1:1040
Expansion Rate of Universe\ 1:1055
Mass Density of Universe\1 1:1059
Cosmological Constant\ 1:10120

These numbers represent the maximum deviation from the accepted values, that would either prevent the universe from existing now, not having matter, or be unsuitable for any form of life.

Taken from Big Bang Refined by Fire by Dr. Hugh Ross, 1998. Reasons To Believe, Pasadena, CA.

There is only one physical, and finite universe. The only other “universe” is the spiritual realm.

Ha! Congress. Yes, maybe there’s some natural universal law at work where all “advanced” societies become bankrupt before they are able to discover interplanetary space exploration.

We are subject to Law of Entrophy. We are DeEvolving. We are getting worse, not better. Decay.
Exceptions occur, but are NOT the rule.

So that explains Obama after Bush…

Yes, sad isn’t it? I remember growing up in the late ‘70’s. Everyone you talked to thought for sure we’d have “martian colonies” by now. But the reality of the situation is NASA is broke. Monies have been diverted to other things. It seems Space has lost its aura as the “final frontier”. People these days are happy to get lost in their i-pads. I’m afraid societies’ future is going to look a lot more like William Gibson’s “Neuromancer” rather than Isaac Asimov’s “Foundation”.

Why wouldn’t they have the same motives for seeking us out that we humans have for seeking them out? Curiosity, to know we’re not alone, to boldly go where no man has gone before. I’m sure some humans have nefarious reasons too.

I just find it humorous the way scientists have backtracked on their calculated “probabilities” of discovering intelligent life over the past couple of decades. Beginning in the 1960’s we had the famous “Drake Equation”. Drake estimated 10,000 intelligent (communicating) civilizations in the galaxy. This equation was later modified by Drake and Carl Sagan to suggest as many as 1 million intelligent civilizations could exist in our galaxy. Aliens were all the rage back in the 1990s. Paul Horowitz, Harvard physicist and SETI leader, told “Time Magazine” in 1996: “Intelligent life in the universe? Guaranteed. Intelligent life in our galaxy? So overwhelmingly possible that I’d give you almost any odds you’d like.”

But alas, efforts to uncover actual evidence of extra-terrestrial life have failed, so over the past decade new theories, such as the 2003 “Rare Earth” hypothesis have proliferated saying (you guessed it) life is much less common in the universe than previously thought. Well, duh.

Good stuff from the NRA…this is their statement from meeting with Biden.

“We were disappointed with how little this meeting had to do with keeping our children safe and how much it had to do with an agenda to attack the Second Amendment. While claiming that no policy proposals would be “prejudged,” this Task Force spent most of its time on proposed restrictions on lawful firearms owners – honest, taxpaying, hardworking Americans. It is unfortunate that this Administration continues to insist on pushing failed solutions to our nation’s most pressing problems. We will not allow law-abiding gun owners to be blamed for the acts of criminals and madmen. Instead, we will now take our commitment and meaningful contributions to members of congress of both parties who are interested in having an honest conversation about what works – and what does not.”

100,000 new members in one month!

Peculiar thing to say about a sworn enemy…

One cheap, effective deterrence to home burglary may be to get one of those “proud member of the NRA” stickers and post in your living room window.

I told my wife the same thing. We should just have stickers and yard signs saying we are proud gun owners. The reality is regardless at that point.