Political Opinion

Republicans’ ‘ready-to-go’ agenda stalls with surprising speed

Republicans put together a list of “ready-to-go” bills that would prove that they were serious about legislating. Now, nearly half of the bills can’t pass.

About a month ago, there was still some uncertainty about who would lead the House as Republicans prepared to take over the majority. As you might’ve noticed, Kevin McCarthy’s bid for speaker proved to be a bit more contentious than the GOP hoped.

But while that intra-party drama unfolded, House Majority Leader Steve Scalise expressed great confidence on Dec. 30, 2022, in the Republican conference’s legislative plans. The Louisianan sent members a list of “meaningful, ‘ready-to-go’ legislation” that the chamber would take up in the first two weeks of the new Congress.

These “commonsense measures,” Scalise said, “should garner wide support and provide an indication of our bold agenda to come.”

As January comes to an end, how many of the 11 “ready-to-go” bills proved to be ready to go? About half of them. Politico reported:

House Republicans have yet to take up five of the 11 measures they deemed “ready-to-go” back in December for floor action during the first two weeks of the session. … All of these measures were listed for consideration in the first two weeks of this Congress by Majority Leader Steve Scalise on Dec. 30. None are listed on the schedule this week, which is the chamber’s fifth.

To be sure, House Republicans have tackled some of their legislative to-do list. As regular readers know, on the GOP majority’s first full day, Republicans approved a bill to increase the deficit, help tax cheats, and target IRS agents who do not actually exist. The party also got to work trying to impose new abortion restrictions, despite public sentiments on the issue.

In other words, a month into the new Congress, the House GOP majority isn’t yet ready to move on much of its own legislative agenda.

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/maddowblog/republicans-ready-go-agenda-stalls-surprising-speed-rcna68409

Let’s wait and see, it’s still early.

Credibility check… Is this the same MaddowBlog that ignorantly spread disinformation exactly 2 years ago… Rachel Maddow March 29, 2021…

Tried to post the YouTube link… Strangely it’s been removed…

@SmallPaul Facts coming from Mis Information herself… Rachel Mad-As needs to be taken as (n)utter firebrand leftist BS…

Give this a try. Pretty crazy what you can create with just text.

1 Like

you can focus on that if you want to, what has the republicans done? they are the ones saying they had a ready made plan, those words came out of their mouth not Maddow

Moving on, I agree that kids shouldn’t be subjected to this moral calamity.

Texas Lawmakers Turn Abortion Bounty Hunter Scheme on Drag Queens

A Texas bill would allow anyone to sue people who perform in drag where minors are present—or sue someone who hosts such a performance—and collect $5,000 in damages plus attorneys fees, whether or not a minor was brought to the performance by their parent or guardian. The vagueness of the proposed law means it could incentivize Texans to sue transgender and nonbinary people for simply existing in public.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/texas-lawmakers-turn-abortion-bounty-220500464.html

Here is the difference bucko, I don’t boast about media figures like you do about Tucker Carlson and Fox News, who obviously have their own problems.

I have no problem calling out the left, something you can never do to the right Because in your mind they can do no wrong, I have also admitted when I was wrong, which is something you can’t morally do.

Bucko!.. I like that :rofl:… Because you have nothing to boast about… That’s why… FOX and Tucker are thumping all the other networks put together…

And so you should, there is so much to call out… Almost on a daily basis…

Please point out the error of my ways… Where I haven’t provided data/facts/links to backup my posts…

When I posted the Police bodycam video of the Paul Pelosi incident without any commentary from me… I asked viewers to make up their own minds… A concept which spun you into a catatonic fit

I even post CNN, MSNBC, Washington Post coverage from time to time in this thread… I like to keep the insanity balanced… Very much in keeping with your balanced outlook on Political Issues, carrying a chip on each shoulder…

We’ll never see a FOX link from you… You’d breakout in a nasty rash… It’s Kryptonite to you…

As always… A pleasure…

1 Like

As the dominion lawsuit reveals a lot about them and the people who follow them, I hope they continue. They need to be together.

Wrong

Again you see no wrong on the right as i stated early

What are you on about?? Making up one’s own mind… Like there’s a concept that’ll never catch on…

1 Like

How hard is it to comprehend what I said, I have called out the left, you refuse to do so on the right because you refuse to see no wrong, look we can go back and fourth, pushing ahead we let the proof represent it self

Speaking of fox news and tucker carlson

Tucker Carlson Calls 2020 Election ‘Biggest Scam,’ Despite Privately Admitting It’s BS

Massive troves of texts, emails, and internal communications within Fox have become public as a result of Dominion Voting Systems lawsuit against the network. The filings have shown that despite publicly entertaining allegations of voter fraud in the election, Carlson and his fellow Fox personalities knew that the claims were unsubstantiated.

Behind the scenes, Carlson himself was lambasting allegations made by Giuliani and his fellow attorney Sidney Powell. The host texted his colleague Laura Ingram to gloat that he’d caught Powell in a lie, and at one point texted his producer to complain that Trump was a “demonic force, a destroyer,” who threatened to destroy the network with his election lies. In another text exchange, Carlson agreed with an unnamed sender who stated that there was no “evidence of voter fraud that swung the election,” and that there was “certainly no evidence the election was stolen.”

Despite privately writing that he hated Trump “passionately,” Carlson continues to carry water for the former president’s lies about a stolen election. Just last week he claimed that there were still many “unanswered questions” about the election, and sarcastically asked how President Biden got “15 million more votes than his former boss Obama? Was the 2020 election a miracle?”

While Carlson may tell viewers that the 2020 election was a “scam,” the only people having the wool pulled over their eyes are Fox’s own audience.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/tucker-carlson-calls-2020-election-021702546.html

Tucker Carlson Says He Is ‘Enraged’ Over Dominion Leak of Trump Texts: ‘I Love Trump’ :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

In a surprising twist, Tucker Carlson is publicly eating his words. After private texts of him denouncing former president Donald Trump were released earlier this month as part of Fox News’ ongoing lawsuit with Dominion Voting Systems, Carlson addressed the damning messages Tuesday in conversation with conservative host Bo Snerdley on WABC Radio.

“I love Trump,” Carlson said, later adding that he was “humiliated” at the time and “enraged” that his private texts were aired out for all to see.

Brushing off the texts – which expressed disdain for the former president, saying, among other things, “I hate him passionately” – Carlson went on to say that the exchanges came at “a moment in time where I was absolutely infuriated.” He added that he’s since cleared the air with Trump on a recent phone call.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/tucker-carlson-says-enraged-over-164605600.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

Rigged, fixed, interfered with, or as Time Mag puts it “Saved”

2020 was like no other election in our countries history, and Time Magazine explains exactly how it was different and boost about " Saving the Election"

Title of the article from Time " The Secret History of The Shadow Campaign That Saved The 2020 Election"

A “Shadow Campaign” should be troublesome to all of us.

Detroit was the home of the US auto industry. CA doesn’t rely on startups the way Detroit relied on the automotive industry or on manufacturing in the 1980s. CA certainly leads in startup businesses and new startup jobs, but there are plenty of other industry providing more to the state.

2 Likes

dude my old friend, how are you doing?

I think I said as much in my full post and specifically called out Silicon Valley as a future Detroit

The world is changing both good and bad

Why are you still running with this? There were 10-14 THOUSAND arrests.

And arrests in Seattle.

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/nation/protest-arrests-show-regular-americans-not-urban-antifa/

Criminal charges from Jan 6th.
26 Months Since the Jan. 6 Attack on the Capitol.

Criminal charges:

• Approximately 326 defendants have been charged with assaulting, resisting, or impeding officers or employees, including approximately 106 individuals who have been charged with using a deadly or dangerous weapon or causing serious bodily injury to an officer.
    • Approximately 140 police officers were assaulted Jan. 6 at the Capitol, including about 80 from the U.S. Capitol Police and about 60 from the Metropolitan Police Department.
  • Approximately 11 individuals have been arrested on a series of charges that relate to assaulting a member of the media, or destroying their equipment, on Jan. 6.
  • Approximately 919 defendants have been charged with entering or remaining in a restricted federal building or grounds. Of those, 101 defendants have been charged with entering a restricted area with a dangerous or deadly weapon.
  • Approximately 61 defendants have been charged with destruction of government property, and approximately 46 defendants have been charged with theft of government property.
  • More than 306 defendants have been charged with corruptly obstructing, influencing, or impeding an official proceeding, or attempting to do so.
  • Approximately 55 defendants have been charged with conspiracy, either: (a) conspiracy to obstruct a congressional proceeding, (b) conspiracy to obstruct law enforcement during a civil disorder, (c) conspiracy to injure an officer, or (d) some combination of the three.

Pleas:

• Approximately 518 individuals have pleaded guilty to a variety of federal charges, many of whom faced or will face incarceration at sentencing.
    • Approximately 133 have pleaded guilty to felonies. Another 385 have pleaded guilty to misdemeanors.
    • A total of 60 of those who have pleaded guilty to felonies have pleaded to federal charges of assaulting law enforcement officers. Approximately 26 additional defendants have pleaded guilty to feloniously obstructing, impeding, or interfering with a law enforcement officer during a civil disorder. Of these 86 defendants, 47 have now been sentenced to prison terms of up to 90 months.
    • Four of those who have pleaded guilty to felonies have pleaded guilty to the federal charge of seditious conspiracy.

Obviously, people have different views on this. Any answer to this will be met with a completely opposite reaction between opposing views.

Upholding democracy and the right to free and fair elections (and letting those processes play out as they have for 100+ years) and protesting police brutality means different things to different people.

I don’t condone violence and property destruction, and that’s what happened during BOTH the BLM protests nationwide AND on Jan 6th.

Also, the capital building isn’t just a museum that you can just wander into and take pictures. If you’re going to engage in illegal activity, you have to deal with the consequences. Personal responsibility. Law and order.

This has already been explained over and over again. Biden, the IMF and other EU officials all agreed the prosecutor was corrupt and needed to go.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/ukraine-court-forces-probe-into-biden-role-in-firing-of-prosecutor-viktor-shokin/2020/02/27/92710222-5983-11ea-8efd-0f904bdd8057_story.html

Have a wonderful day.

1 Like

You did. I caught it after I wrote my reply.

It’s crazy days. Enjoy the weather. Get outside.

1 Like

California is just different, and that’s why they’re ranked among the top six economies in the world

New California gas price law another defeat for oil industry

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — It was just a few weeks ago that California Gov. Gavin Newsom called the oil industry the second most powerful force on earth, trailing only Mother Nature in its ability to bend the elements — both physical and political — to its will.

The bill is the latest in a string of defeats for the oil industry in California, a state many don’t think of as a fossil fuel powerhouse. But for decades, California was one of the leading oil producers in the United States with a bustling industry that was a key part of the state’s economy. The state is now the nation’s seventh-largest oil producer, according to federal data.

https://news.yahoo.com/california-gas-price-law-another-235349235.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

This is your rebuttal? Ukraine has political corruption, STOP THE PRESSES!

That does not change what biden did.

2020 into 2021 was a bad year for law and disorder, no winners and a lot of losers

I would love to move on to current and future matters but your friend keeps pushing this subject, I try to ignore it but sometimes different views need a voice.

Actually, I just came in from washing the RV and saw your lengthy reply.

The weather is very nice today

1 Like

When the democrats were calling out the harsh treatment of the rioters, where were the republicans?