Preventing Bad Behaviors

Howdy Everyone,

I’ve been using demo accounts with MT5 for about 6 months now. Like many people, I’ve lost way more than I’ve gained, but I’ve reached the point where I have only ONE major problem.

ME

When I start to lose, I get angry and make stupid decisions. I know they’re stupid, but I do them anyway because I get frustrated. Is there a trading platform out there that allows you to make account-level controls to prevent bad behavior? For instance, say my strategy called for a maximum stop loss of 50 points. I’d love to have a platform that prevented me from extending my SL once I placed a trade. I’d also love to set a daily maximum loss that would bar me from trades for 24 hours once I hit that number.

Does anyone know of a platform that can do things like this?

that would be cool if they had a system like that, but how about you try doing it yourself. You don’t want depend on the system for that. Just try programming your mind to follow your trading strategy. Behavior is impacted by a lot of different traits, so either way a system like that probably won’t be effective in the long run

I appreciate the suggestion. Unfortunately, I’ve been trying that unsuccessfully for 3 months now. I just can’t seem to find the self control when I lose my temper. I’m hoping that if I find a platform with “training wheels,” I can do a demo account and SEE the result of not losing my damned mind, thereby helping me overcome the “angry” trades.

That might sound like a solution to your problem but, if you are planning on trading long term, then it is not a viable solution even if you find such a platform.

You need to deal with your personal issues and overcome them.

One helpful aid, if you do not do it already, would be to set up a journal for your trades together with a set of rules defining how you trade, which can also include, for example, your R:R guides, max stops, max daily loss etc, etc. this will not only help instill discipline into your trading, but will also provide you with some useful analysis of your actual trading results.

It is extemely good that you have at least recognised that the fault is within and not just blame the market or your broker - that is the first step in the right direction. Now you have to analyse why you get frustrated. Losses are an inevitable part of trading: you cannot win if you are not in the market - and if you are in the market then you are going to lose on some trades. The issue is whether your trades are planned and executed according to your plan and whether your overall gains exceed you losses.

Take a pride in developing your personal professionalism as a trader rather than in finding a platform that you can lean on like a crutch to compensate for your shortcomings - you’ll feel much better for it in the long run - and you will definitely end up more profitable :slight_smile:

Just some thoughts…

5 Likes

I don’t know if every trader gets those periods and those reactions. I certainly did and sometimes even now I get one. I call them “Sunspot moments” and to me, one of the most helpful things is just to know they exist.

One of the best remedies from stress is to take a walk. Shut the computer down, and go fof a walk. Half an hour is usually good enough. It fulfills the “Flight or Fight” reaction, which is what causes the “Fight response” and costs you all that money.

When you come back, turn it on again and make that decision you were looking at.

It won’t make every decision right, but it WILL cause you to lose less money and thus make you a better trader. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I’ve actually done most of this, though I will give walking away a try. I trade at work (which is pretty awesome) but it limits how far I can run away from my computer lol.

Initially it happens; don’t worry make more and more trades! Eventually, you’ll be able to control yourself.

Then make a checklist, and always open your new trades if your all points (of your list) allow this trade.

I trade at my 9to5 too lol i’m glad the job I have allows me to be able to look at the charts on my phone throughout the day. I just need to make sure I always plan out my trades the night before, so at least I know what to somewhat expect the next day

Long time knowledge can make us Cool that always bring good result but low trading knowledge always make us emotional and we try to take revenge after having some losses. so try to pass a long time in here with great patience.

Do you use pending order if needed? Or only live trades?

Nope, no pending orders…just live trades w/ trailing stops and stop losses

You should keep it in the mind that forex is a zero sum game. Here we may loss in many instances and sometimes we will win. But we can’t afford to lose our controls over emotions. A bad transaction won’t signify that you a bad trader. Try to practice more and more. Practice will lead you a more successful journey.

I think it’s already a huge step that you recognize this and want to do something about it! Have you tried out journaling as what @anon46773462 recommended? (You guys ever wonder how many traders actually do this)

That being said, it would be cool to see something like that built in to a platform though haha. Kind of like those alarm clocks that would force you to solve a math problem first before it shuts up.

1 Like

I feel your pain. When I first started out, I used to just take a trade just because. No real strategy… just winging in. Well when trade went sour I would get disappointed and panic and open/close trades prematurely and just dig myself into a deeper hole. Good thing I was using demo… I’d be up a creek without a paddle right about now lol. Anyway… the more and more I traded and the more I lost, I got to a point where I said ok, that’ll do. I need to knuckle down and figure this out. The more you educate and learn, even if it’s the smallest detail that you didn’t know before… it will only help you get better. Eventually I started passing on what I was unsure about. Finally… I felt some degree of discipline. They may have been good trades… I’ll never know. But I was gaining discipline and in this game… it’s just as valuable as the money you’d eventually be using. Moral of the story is… you’re using a demo account. Who cares if it goes wrong. Just keep at it. Keep studying. Keep taking trades and paying attention to what’s happening and eventually… this crazy market will start to make sense. It’s a marathon, not a sprint.

2 Likes

There is a need to know many things involved with trading. as study , knowledge of trading then doing practice on it. If you loose discipline in trading surly suffer its effects. Also need to train your psychology and behavior towards market . Do practical and effective steps , involve less emotions for real success.

that’s why there’s only a small percentage of people that are successful in forex trading. You have to stick to it and eventually you’ll find a key strategy. Just don’t give up!

Then, close your chart after any SL and comeback later with a fresh mind.

1 Like

Hey fellow trader, I hope your practicing on demo?

When I first started out I went intoday trading, it was great would make anything from £50-350(max) in a day for about week , but when things weren’t going my way I would get angry and worried and stressed so easily and then one day as I was silly and didn’t have any proper risk management I lost £800 in a day, half of my account in a day. So I decided nope no more went away learnt more, came back as a part time trader, with a more long term strategy and a machincal system and I follow my rules and I risk no more than 1% if my account.

So my point is aha. That you need to walk away reassess what your doing. Don’t be worried about missing out on trade and possible set ups, like that was one of my biggest flaws missing on out on the next set up. Just remember your in this for the long run, so 20years +( if there isn’t a zombie apocalypse lol) so there will be 1000’s set ups for you in that time.

I would strongly Focus on machincal strategy’s , for trend set ups, ranging sets up, etc. I personally need a system for ranging market conditions, but first I need to finally tweak my trend system. But I would also say keep an eye on trading news and forums like this, also news in currency pairs you trade.

Hope this helps. Good luck and remember there’s no rush man!

Happy pip hunting

This is expensive, but spending about three hundred dollars now and saving thousands later is worth it. I would advise getting a punching bag, a stand, assuming you don’t have a sturdy enough beam to hang it from, some wraps, and a pair of gloves. When you start getting angry, put on your wraps, gloves, and beat the hell out of the bag. I have mine in my room right behind my desk!

It’s a fantastic stress reliever and works out many muscle groups in your body so you can get healthier, and gain muscle with it–or even cancel that expensive gym membership if you have one! Not only that but because it’s in your house, it takes far less effort to get started–you don’t have to drive there, etc.–so you’re more likely to use it and subsequently get healthier which will make you feel better and likely able to regulate your emotions better! Plus, wraps take 5-10 minutes to put on and require your attention, so it’s particularly meditative. I’ve had times where by the time I’m done putting on my wraps I’ve been able to cool down and clear my mind, and I don’t even have to use the punching bag!

One other method–if you don’t like the idea of using a punching bag–if you live in a place where it’s legal, smoking some weed can be a great fix–or edibles, etc.! Obviously don’t get completely blasted, but it helps me out because it lets me put things into perspective better, as I’m no longer stressing and panicking about the right now, and can calm me down so I can pay more attention to the bigger picture and realize that my trade is either a temporary pullback, or a true reversal and act accordingly. Being high isn’t anything like being drunk, as you are far more coherent–obligatory don’t drive or do anything dangerous which high–although a tool like a punching bag can be preferable due to its physical benefits and while you are nearly just as coherent, your reaction time can be slowed so this method is not preferable for scalpers.

Finally, an important way to combat impulsivity is to change your trading mindset. For example, you need to enjoy the process of trading, the profits should just be a bonus. If it’s the process, the game, the algorithm so to speak, that you enjoy, then it isn’t psychologically devastating to take a loss and you’re able to take a loss as a learning opportunity rather than a demoralizing personal failure. Also, if you panic you might be either risking more than you can–only trade with what you can afford to lose, and try to limit it to a hard cap of 2%–or you could be trading on too low a time frame. If you are scalping on tiny time frames, but can’t handle your emotions, you can quickly throw all TA, FA, SA, etc. out the window and just start gambling without even realising it! I blew multiple accounts doing that before I realized I simply couldn’t handle trading lower time frames, and I kept moving up until I found one that worked for me!

If you found yourself drifting off constantly and having a really hard time reading this or other answers, and this is a common thing–especially for things you don’t enjoy–you may want to talk to your doctor about ADHD. ADHD is due to a low presence of dopamine in the brain, or poor reception of it, causing you too look for stimulus, be it in the form of an exciting action movie, video game, drugs, or commonly gambling. People with ADHD often have poor impulse and emotional control skills leading them to gambling addiction or being adrenaline junkies due to an inherent addictive personality. Obviously, take this with a grain of salt, do your own research, and never self-diagnose, but it was something I myself struggled with for years and caused me to have my initial short-term trading problems. If you don’t like the idea of being on ADHD drugs, there is always CBT or Cognitive Behavioral Therapy which can produce astounding results.

Whew, here we are at the end of this ridiculously long post! Emotional control is a complex topic in any stressful field, be it the military or day trading, and can stem from many sources or be resolved with many tactics that I haven’t even touched on here! If you are interested and would like details on how to buy a punching bag, any clarification, etc., feel free to PM me, I’ve got plenty of time to help out a fellow trader!

Trade safe!

1 Like