Price Action, Market Structure & Bollinger Band

I sent it via direct message here on Babypips, I don’t have your email :sweat_smile:

Cloudninee please can i have your mail and would want you to suggest pdfs or video to read or watch for price action and Bollinger band. Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @Peter6441, I will send you a direct message with my email address (not sure why but I cannot give it on here otherwise it’d be removed).

In terms of PDFs or videos about bollinger and, I’d suggest for you to use our good friend Google or Youtube. I did not use any other resources other than these to come up with my knowledge of the bollinger band. With it, I’d suggest you learn about price action and market structure as well (if you haven’t already of course).

Hello Cloud, With the GBPCHF short I was asking about, what I see is a pinbar candle at the middle of the Bolli band and then a bear candle with a longish wick to the upside again at the midpoint. As I can see now the next candle has broke the high of that bear candle so it would have stopped me out anyway. Because of the pinbar and the bear candle with the longish with to the top would you consider this to be of interest?
The other bit I didn’t understand was when you say (show price action of continuation to the upside)? What do you mean by that? Why the upside?
Cheers

Hi John,

You have a good point but that pinbar candle is just at the wrong place ESPECIALLY when the market has been in such a strong trend to the upside recently (check out all the bullish strong candles to the upside the last few days).

I don’t take a lot of trades when it’s at the middle of the bollinger band. Imagine without the two bands on top and bottom, the middle of the bollinger band is basically just the 20 moving average, I’d only take trades when it trends and when it pullbacks and respects the middle band then continue in the right direction.

By this, here is an example:

When it cross and close above and below the middle band, it’s just not worth it taking the trade since it can go in any direction as you have seen in your own example above.

You can clearly see here the price has dropped down massively then the market starts to slowly go up again making clear higher highs and higher lows. I would also never take reversal trades at the middle of the bollinger bands, only take reversals when it’s at the top or the bottom.

Hope this make sense John, let me know if you have any other questions.

1 Like

Thank you Cloud, appreciate you taking the time cheers. Btw those trades you listed the other day seem to be doing well.

1 Like

Can I ask a stupid question Cloud.
What does the term 1:1 RR mean.

1 Like

“One to one risk and reward” - I hope that explains itself to you because if not, then you’d have much more research to do before jumping into trading my friend :sweat_smile:

Top man! Thanks for this precious info.

Could you send me the pairs as well? Very much appreciated!

Regarding the runners, when do you stop this trade? At SL moved at HL/HH or do you wait for a reverse pattern?

1 Like

Thanks Cloud. I did say ‘stupid question’ but what I really meant was how the term works in practice?
Does it mean risking 100 to win 100 as an example?
Believe me I’m well aware that I’m a dummy in this forex trading ‘game’ and was hoping to learn here.

1 Like

Yes, that is exactly what it means. 1 to 1 risk reward means if you are risking $100 on a trade and your TP hits, you’d get $100 profit. If the SL is hit, you’d lose $100.

I will send you the pairs in direct message.

Regarding runners, that’s a funny question because I cannot tell you exactly, each trade is different and each TRADER is different. But generally yes, as you have said, the easiest way to do it would be to bring it to HL or HH BUT, my secret is I do it in the 4H timeframe so that you can get as much of the trend as possible :wink: I also pay attention to reversal potentiallity as well. If the most recent HL leading to a HH or vice versa (LH leading to a LL) is broken, most likely my trade will be out as well, as that signals strongly the market is entering a consolidating mode or, worst, reversing.

The point of the runner is to get as many pips as you can so I don’t generally leave it in breakeven for a long time. Once it starts moving in the right direction my trailing stops move with it. If you have been trading for a while you will know that it’s not easy holding and managing a profitable trade (sounds strange, I know). Psychologically, when you see a candle going the opposite direction of your trade, you always think it’s a reversal :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Hello Cloud,
What are your thoughts on this Aud/Nzd with an indecision candle and then a more bearish indecision or maybe a pinbar and I have marked some S/r from Weekly and Daily. The market structure seems to be favorable as well. So again from your view what would you do here?

1 Like

That’s a nice continuation signal right there. That’s a classic and perfect respect of the middle of the bollinger band with wicks pointing through and pulling back nicely like it had already done previously.

I don’t trade this pair but you can place a SELL STOP order at the low price of the last candle and SL at the open price.

Looks like a nice moving pair though, not sure why I never looked at it. From the photo you sent I can already see nearly 7-8 winning trades I’d have taken.

1 Like

Hi @Cloudninee. I noticed that engulfing pattern candle is quite a strong signal, isn’t it? And saw so many pinbars fake signals. How do you avoid this fake signals?

1 Like

Yes, engulfing patterns are the strongest signals if you are using the bollinger band. Just keeping in mind they need to happen when the price reaches the outer bands.

Candles like the dojis and pinbars needs confirmation for you to enter a trade as they signify an undecided market of which, if you think about it, jumping in would almost be like betting as even the market don’t know where it’s going to go next, how will you?

Also, the other strong singal would be when the price bounce off the middle of the band nicely (price don’t close on the other side of the middle band) and continue in the direction of the trend.

1 Like

Cloud I done a demo trade on this A/N and my SL was hit which is always possible obviously. Would you have done anything different? I know easy in hind sight would be to have S/L at the midpoint of the BB. Of course I do not know yet if this is going to continue down or not but still seems structurally OK.
John

1 Like

Hey John,

That’s very unfortunate.

It’s part of the reason why I don’t trade this pair. Movements are a little irregular at times.

Technically speaking, the bearish candlestick that gave away the signal I’d prefer for it to be a bit more bearish so that it’d indicate a strong pressure to the downside. But any price action trader in their right mind would have entered that trade I think, it was a nice rejection of the middle of the bands. I would have myself if that kind of signal appears on any other pairs I normally trade.

The other thing you’d have to also consider is that last week there was big news affecting the market. News from Trump also caused the market to go into a risk-off mode which caused prices to move erratically.

Another point to learn is that often, with trades that bounces off the middle of the band, it might be a safer option to have your SL a bit safer (above/below the rejection area perhaps) as often, prices can come back to retest the middle of the band. Rather than when compared to a trade that shows a strong reversal signal at the outer bands, prices are hard to reach back up/down to test.

That’s all I have on this. As you’d know yourself already that any trades have its risks and getting stopped out is just apart of the game.

Also don’t just rely on the bands itself. Remember to check price action and market structure.

There are many more trades presenting itself this week, are you able to spot any of them yet? Some are in play right now and some are in the process of a setup. At least 7 trades I spotted.

1 Like

It looks like you did the trade before the candle was closed right?

Anyway I would not do have done that, because the wick of the previous candle showed that the bulls are still around.

1 Like

No I think he did set a sell stop order at the low of the bearish candlestick of which price came down to grab the entry and shoot straight back up - just plain unlucky :sweat_smile:

1 Like