Price Action That Matters

think you’ve answered your own question big guy.

'best

Darth

Just came across a line which makes it clear that risk is part & parcel of trading:

[B]Risk some money + make more money = Trader[/B].

I’d add that risk shd be calculated risk.

I believe there are several reasons for this.

First, as far as I know spreads widened during quiet hours & esp during weekends as I mentioned in Post #3344 in this thread. This cld easily knock out trades with tight SL.

Next, I read somewhere that Friday is often a profit taking as well as stops hunting day.

I have an AUDNZD trade taken based on the large January monthly pin bar. It survived so many weekends, is still running & in profit now. Being a trade taken on month signal it has a relatively wide SL. There was never a threat of being stopped out over the weekends.

So, if you are very confident of the intraday trade you take & believe it will continue the direction in your favor you may consider to temporarily set your SL based on support / resistance levels on daily or at least H4 charts before weekend & then on Monday move it back to where it was.

Just my view.

Another approach as Aaron advocated is to weigh the R:R. Assume current SL is X pips away & you need another Z pips to your TP.

Is it worth risking X pips for Z pips?

Not forgetting that it can gap well over your SL of course.

I for one hate leaving potentially my entire account and/or more at the mercy of world events not kicking off when there is nothing I could do about it.

I always keep my trades open unless price is very close to my SL. Reason is if price doesn’t move over the weekend, when the markets open up on Sunday, the spread alone will stop you out. So I figure why not save myself some money and close it early. Also if price is very close to your stop loss going into the weekend, the chance is greater that if it gaps over your SL it will cost you more money than what you had originally planned. Not only will you pay for however much it gapped but you will have spread that is 5-10X normal, so what you will end up losing in terms of pips may be quite significant. Other than that I let it run. If you took a trade with a good edge the week before, when trading resumes the next week you should be able to continue to play out the edge of that trade as normal.

And today is the last trading day before a 4-day long holiday!

Aaron, I know you are really busy, but awaiting with interest your pending articles.
Best,

Oh ya! I believe many are eagerly awaiting the articles, esp one on inside bar(s) :slight_smile:

Is this triple top for downtrend on EUR/AUD 4hr good for taking?

[QUOTE=Henry9986;621271]I believe there are several reasons for this.

First, as far as I know spreads widened during quiet hours & esp during weekends as I mentioned in Post #3344 in this thread. This cld easily knock out trades with tight SL.

Next, I read somewhere that Friday is often a profit taking as well as stops hunting day.

I have an AUDNZD trade taken based on the large January monthly pin bar. It survived so many weekends, is still running & in profit now. Being a trade taken on month signal it has a relatively wide SL. There was never a threat of being stopped out over the weekends.

So, if you are very confident of the intraday trade you take & believe it will continue the direction in your favor you may consider to temporarily set your SL based on support / resistance levels on daily or at least H4 charts before weekend & then on Monday move it back to where it was.

Just my view.

ABOVE WAS FROM HENRY9986

I hear comments about stop hunting all of the time, yet I’m not sure I understand. My thoughts/questions are this -

Stops are taken out in order to profit by the market-maker/bank/dealer, with the idea that the market will move back above or below the stop level. The trader who runs the stops has to move the market there to hit them.

The forex market is claimed to be over $5 Trillion traded per day (per BIS). A significant portion is traded in EURUSD and USDJPY, which are 2 of the main markets I trade. That’s a big market to move to run stops.

How big are these stops that are getting run? Are you putting 100 standard lots out there? 1000 lots? Is this a way to divert blame back to the markets?

Overall it seems like a lot of assumptions are made about a decentralized market that no one can truly see, aside from the traders at the biggest banks dealing FX.

Personally I use 15-25 pip stops, and I haven’t had one of them run in 2014, although I’m only trading 8’s! :slight_smile:

Thoughts are appreciated!

Not dropped in for a while… But I just wanted to say:

Happy Easter trader dudes!

Hope you have a relaxing break with your family and loved ones

:slight_smile:

There is a deluge of info, articles, write-ups… on stops hunting if we google the term. And I don’t think I’m well placed to give a better insight.

What I wish to address is this question “Is this a way to divert blame back to the markets?”

In trading, & more importantly in life in general, it never helps to divert [I]blame [/I]to anybody / anything else. Neither does it help to [I]blame [/I]ourselves. I believe it’s more constructive & productive to acknowledge & face whatever happens squarely in a level-headed manner & tell ourselves that it is [B]up to me[/B] to act to deal with the situation.

Happy Easter to all! :slight_smile:

[quote=“Henry9986,post:3444,topic:56970”]
There is a deluge of info, articles, write-ups… on stops hunting if we google the term. And I don’t think I’m well placed to give a better insight.

What I wish to address is this question “Is this a way to divert blame back to the markets?”

In trading, & more importantly in life in general, it never helps to divert [I]blame [/I]to anybody / anything else. Neither does it help to [I]blame [/I]ourselves. I believe it’s more constructive & productive to acknowledge & face whatever happens squarely in a level-headed manner & tell ourselves that it is [B]up to me[/B] to act to deal with the situation.

Happy Easter to all! :slight_smile:

This video has a take on it - YouTube

Anyone got burned by the Aussie movement today?? Guess who got burnt? :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey everyone, I apologize for not having much of a presence in the forums for the past few weeks. The company I am starting up is really taking off and so I have been extremely busy with that on top of being sick last week. Pretty much since the start of the year I have only been trading daily candles due to time constraints and honestly there hasn’t been much in terms of good daily trade signals for a while so I haven’t had any good analysis to post. Hopefully next week brings some good setups!

Hi krugman25, hope you fill better now.
There is some calm period and almost all currencies are at some sort of a range.
I do net have enough expirience to be sure, but I believe that thare is no way out from this calm period except start trending :slight_smile:

Hi Guys,

I’ve been silently lurking of late because I have been going through this thread from the beginning page for page to create my own filter checklist so I can start really refining my ability to pick the best trades and give them a five star rating…am upto page 102!!!

Anyway, a question for Aaron -

When you trade off the intraday charts I understand you recommend working out the trend on the TF you are taking PA off of, and not to worry so much about the daily chart (although trading in line with the daily trend too obviously adds confluence) but do you still only take the PA off of the key daily levels even if you are on an intraday TF chart?

Thanks

Hey Amy, good to hear from you, also let me know when you are finished with the checklist and how it looks. I will use intra-day levels [B]only[/B] if we are in what I would call a text book trend and the trade is with that trend. Many times in these strong trends price will not pull all the way back to those key levels but rather find support from intraday horizontal or trend line support line.

I have been keeping my eye on pairs like the AUDUSD as they are approaching some key levels but there hasn’t been much in terms of good clear price action. Most of the action as of late has been in the world of stocks and commodities.