(sharing is caring)>>which indicators are you using?

the cat, having jumped cleanly out of the bag, would like to apologize for his part in the byplay that has gone on. There are reasons for the defense, which has also been proven to be offensive, but the bottom line lies more in a simple co-existance.

Very early on, mp stated that the ideas were NOT for newbs but rather “graduate school for further on down the road” and to NOT follow his ideas of NO stop loss — this is history and well documented.

along the way a number of outside agitators created more and more troubles and while mp tends to be a bit of a loose cannon at times, his aim went towards those creating what he felt to be the strongest antagonisms.

Most of the problems stemmed from a joking post on his old thread, asking his readers about a “competition” between the candle people and the indicator people ------- with all assurance, this was said in jest as we were enjoying a VERY good day of trading (all of us) and carried with it more than a bit of boyish enthusiasm.

and while there were two on this board who fanned the flames higher and higher, mp was obviously not entertained, and struck back.

there is NO need for ANY of this to continue as it has been if both sides would pull in their claws and recognize the good tools available on both sides.

I would think that mp has violated the banning rules because he wishes to teach, the one and only thing he has done on this site, regardless of past problems anywhere else - - - - - -

I do understand that not everyone understands and appreciates his humor, but that many many do ----- some of that misunderstanding is in part, responsible for the beginning of the RIFT between teachers on this site, and I am sure mp would wish nothing more than that go away. Raw nerves are sticking out in every direction and on everyone and while my own scotch, pipe and tea helps to smooth the rough edges, I would love nothing more than to see all things return to normal, with both sides simply stating their cases.

Is that possible, for the sake of the ones we teach ?

the seeker

The last two posts were excellent and I am glad to see that common sense and tolerance may be returning to this forum,
And on the strenth of the last post consideration may be given to MP being re-instated so all newbies may profit.

:o

At least we’ve moved passed the lawyer/fbi threats and pip-winning contests that only succeeded in making the participants look like jacka$$es.

On the subject of indicators, however, I find a picture is usually worth more than my feeble explanations.

This is what works for me. I don’t care to pick a side. I’d have more entertaining things to do…

That chart will never work you **** ****. This is how you should do it, you **** **** **** **** . “Insert system here”:D:D:p:p

for intraday trading I have found a few more horizontal lines to be of special significance in measuring retraces as well as fibs, and perhaps much more,

consider “todays open” “yesterdays close” “yesterdays high and low” — it is amazing the things that happen when the price is heading towards one of those ---- invariably, they get hit.

There have been times, even while going long and past the prior days close, that i have simply set the trade with the tp at the close, and watched 4 hours later as it hit the exact spot — watch and see what you see.

searcher

Wow … complicated thread just to answer a simple question (that’s traders for you… lol).

For me personally: The only indicators I feel comfortable with and am using now are EMA, SMA, Slow Stoch., and CCI. I’ve used MACD in the past as well, but find that MAs generally cover this.

D.

All MA based systems are good only until a point. Indicators are all lagging.

The better way to trade is from the support and resistance lines.

Punjabi

:(…I quit…

You quoted me and then decided to quit :)-I want to make clear that indicators work very well if you know how to use them. I have used them profitably in past.

However I don’t use indicators anymore. That is all. There is a good thread here that shows how only a trend line can be used to make good trades without making it harder than it should be.

there is a very common misconception about “lagging” indicators which must be weighed in the context of “which” indicators are we speaking about and exactly what does a “particular” indicator show ?

when using the “stock” values on most indicators, they are set to “essentially” INVESTOR settings, and not DAYTRADING settings. By adjusting and fitting the values to your particular currency pair, interesting things come to light.

the MACD is VERY late when used on even a 15 min chart, but half the values, increase the “distance” between the lines and watch AT WHAT POINT on the histogram your currency begins to move in a different direction and NOT WAIT FOR THE LINES TO CROSS and the simple MACD becomes a POWERHOUSE of an indicator.

Things like the CCI are phenominally useful to show tops and bottoms of individual moves as the currency moves between its support and resistance, but use it with modified values on a ONE minute chart, and you are fully aware of the strength remaining in one move ----- watch it for the retrace to see when it bottoms, check against s+r overlays, and you know where its heading, and how many times it will continue hitting new support areas.

TALKING about it is nowhere as illuminating as seeing it in action, and once you understand how it moves and what it shows, and not use it as a blind “entry” and “exit” signal, ones respect for indicators climbs tremendously.

its NOT knowing what they really do that causes so many to leave them alone ---- now it takes time, but so does any means of judging the markets movements, but they are WAY more powerful at identifying tops and bottoms, once learned and used with s+r, than any other method in existence, IMO, because they can tell you WHICH support or resistance area is THE most likely reversal point !

WATCH them before you rely on them and notice what they TELL you, not show you !

search

I’m definitely all for that!
I don’t even think there are sides involved in any of it, neither am I sure your humor had any part of it - still hopefully it’s old & dirty water under the bridge!

Technical analysis encompasses all colors of the rainbow, including indicators.

There’s no right or wrong, only what’s right (& works) for the individual concerned.

There’s enough conflict playing out in the world without this tiny speck on the planet creating even more unecessary discord.

Peace & Love, as Ringo recently commented to the masses :stuck_out_tongue:

Get pippin folks!

As a teacher, I am a very competant mathematician.

The above statement is completely incorrect.

The best version of MACD is the Di Napoli version.

Gerald Appel, the inventor of the MACD, does not agree with the above in his book…“Technical Analysis - Power Tools for Active Investors”

Decreasing the periods of the MACD, merely makes it much more prone to whipsaws.
To try to make the MACD more predictive by changing its values or trying to pre-estimate an entry is just a waste of time.

The following hyperlink says it better than I can…

Candle Sheds More Light Than The MACD

If you need a fast indicator, there is none faster than the ergodic candlestick oscillator invented by William Blau.

Now off to Pipcrawler, I have had enough of this false and incorrect information presented by someone who is mathematically illiterate. :mad: :mad:

The MACD is under control now!! :slight_smile:

I don’t care for the MACD myself.

I have much to post re candlestick trading.

The administration can handle this thread.

This argument is as silly and useless as asking the question: what�s better - a mini-van, a motorcycle, a school bus, a pick-up truck, a bicycle, or a good pair of walking shoes?

Duh�they�re all good, just depends on where you�re going and how you want to get there.

So please let�s quit kicking up dust accusing pick-up drivers of being dumb as dirt and bicycle riders as being lying cheating crooks.

[B]Dale Carnegie�s #1 rule: �Don�t criticize, condemn or complain� [/B]

PS Although�I�ve read that mini-vans owners do suffer from noticeable lag�

perhaps time to go over to PM and talk

everyone has seen enough, myself included

enjoy

mp

Fighting hits sunset
One person pushing buttons
Tyme for him to go?

Haiku me one more time husky and a samurai is going to part your hair in the classic style

youre getting good, btw !

JOYCELLEN — here we are in the middle of negotiations and some soul searching, and i ask tyman one question about gaps, and im banned again !

can we PLEASE just get to talking to each other and try to put this where it will help the people we WANT to help ?

TYMAN — “in THEORY, theory and practice are the same — in PRACTICE, theory usually blows up !” Mr. Bollinger does not advocate the changing of his values, but if you ask him, he will give you all the permutations and combinations that he finds work — I bet Mr. MACD will do the same !

I simply ask a question as a follower of your thread, and you get me banned for it ! Why dont you follow Joycellens’ lead and ponder the truth of REAL teaching, and not how you wish to close it off to any teacher but yourself !

now PLEASE, can we get back to mediation, now that ive been BANNED yet again ?

PLEASE JOYCELLEN — it seems thats what the newbies want, so why dont we just work it out and DO IT ?

after work, PM me, Yahoo me or simply scream really loudly in the general direction of the USA — im on the east coast, there is no wind and i might hear you !

thank you

mp

WINDS SCREAM, TREES BEND

TRUTH SURVIVES !

hows that husky (well at least for an american ?)

JOYCELLEN — PLEASE can we settle this and give the new ones what they need and want ?

and add a large dollup of peace to everything ?

Been in end of week meetings this afternoon, so I�m playing catch up.
You changed identities again mp??
Crikey, I�m getting dizzy here.

You�re knockin on the wrong door Mike, it�s the Admin who make the decisions not me.
I�ve laid it all out on here where I stand.

Contrary to popular belief, I/we have absolutely no influence with anyone here, we�re plain, basic members just like anyone else. If we had any pull at all then Jimmy wouldn�t have caught himself a ban over all of this business.

Who they allow or don�t allow on here is strictly down to them, regardless of whether peace, love & chilled out karma is the order of the day.

Right, I drew me the long straw so it’s an early exit for moi - quick spit & polish & onto a couple large jugs of cold beer with our name on it!!