Should I allow my children to use Forex trading simulation games?

I know maybe this topic is not suitable for this forum, but please share with your thoughts!

Details would be helpful and why do you think they should / should not ? :confused:

1 Like

My 2 pips worth, Is yes let children trade, Money games have been around a long time and some are really good educationally. But better yet give them a real simulated account. Why wouldn’t you not want to teach anyone Forex trading skills? With proper money management what a life style they could make.

1 Like

WELL firstly they can’t legally until they are 18.

but you are the parent, and it’s your discretion as to whether you will open an account in your name but let them use it.

but i suppose it’s important to know

• HOW OLD ARE THEY

• WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS

i mean i have 2 nephews. 13 and 11
i don’t think they are old enough to comprehend it yet, i think a lot more back end trading like emotional stuff is first required before they even attempt Demo

why do you think your kids should do this ?

2 Likes

ok, let me prove a point here…

here is a game…
THE CISCO BINARY GAME
and if i do say so myself, it’s a bloody good game

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-1803

and just in case that doesn’t work
here is a you tube demo of the game in action

now in the screenshot you can see 8 blocks and one of them says 1 and then at the end there there is the number 34

NOW TO ME… an I.T. Expert the answer is obvious… it’s 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0

now do you get that

• Probably not

but IF A KID PLAYED IT… would they understand it

ANSWER… Yes, probably , and my little nephews have played this and it certainly helps to exercise their brain and helps with basic math

but here’s the thing
getting to the high levels of this game … DOES IT HELP A KID TO GET GOOD AT I.T. if they start early ?
HELL NO
because they don’t comprehend what it’s for
they are not going to understand IP addressing OR Machine Code from this
to them IT’S JUST A GAME, this is how they perceive it

and a Demo account will be nothing more than a game, like collecting coins on Animal Farm or City Farm

a Demo has to be taken seriously and when decisions are made in forex the kid has to know what’s happening and why they make that decision

you can’t just throw a kid in forex like that, it doesn’t make sense, they can’t comprehend it yet.

1 Like

The kids are 10 and 12 years old. The thing is from one side it is great that kids have financial experience, but sometimes trading can lead to negative things like gambling :frowning:

Thanks, I like your racional answer! :slight_smile: My kids found this game: Bitcoin Flip Trading game it is simple game, but again it makes me concerns, because the app can create an image of success in future trading. They will be convinced if they understand this game, they will be successful in real markets. But you know how life happens! :frowning:

https://www.jcount.com/bitcoin-flip-trading-game-exiting-trading-simulation-app-beginners/

2 Likes

Answered…

Hi mate
@CryptoAnnie

firstly … hehe
sorry once again for thinking you were temporarily , a GUY :stuck_out_tongue: my bad

now this

yeah, you gotta be careful. it can have negative developmental effects on the kids

its like when you give a kid toys like a plastic drill or a plastic hammer or something
the kids understands that the hammer is harmless he just hits stuff with it

then he gets a real hammer and hits himself in the thumb
or the plastic drill, then puts a hole in his hand

there has to be a REALIZATION OF THE REALITY OF WHAT HAPPENS IN FOREX

I know, but you know the millennials! They are thinking all or nothing, unfortunately the investment amount ususally are not safe. I do not know how the game will impact them

@CryptoAnnie
my wife is an expert with children and Child Psychology

i just downloaded the App on android
Personally i think it’s stupid, i was $10 in profit then around -$200, Now from a childs point of view this is demeaning because they DON’T UNDERSTAND WHY

they will ask themselves… WHAT DID I DO WRONG
and you can’t give them an answer

then , i was (out of nowhere) +$900
i went to CLOSE TRADE…i can’t do it

so… I’m in profit, and i can’t take my profit
now I BET YOU it waits until i’m at a loss then gets me out

What does this teach a child ?
It teaches a child that THEY CAN NEVER SUCCEED.
this is very bad

Now, my wife said,

• this is gambling
  • this is damaging to a child psychology
  • children need to learn RULES OF THE GAME, they need to learn FAIRNESS, they need to know WHEN THEY DO THE RIGHT THING, THEY GET REWARDED

in this scenario, they do the right thing and they get punished

also THEY DON’T UNDERSTAND THE CONCEPT

my wife also said they have to UNDERSTAND THE VALUE OF MONEY AND IT’S FUNCTION
they have to understand THEIR CONSEQUENCES OF PRESSING THE BUTTON

in this game they get to pick
LIMIT LOSS TO : (how the hell do they understand this and what is needed to make this decision)

they basically have 6 choices of instruments
now, they don’t understand the instruments, they will look it at the 6 instruments like 6 different tools on minecraft
as opposed to currency with varying volatility

they then choose BUY or SELL
they then choose LIMIT LOSS TO: and TAKE PROFIT AT [a certain $$ Amount]

then they can CLOSE TRADE

Mate this is damaging your children ok

here are some better games
https://dfi.wa.gov/financial-education/online-games-and-apps-teach-kids-about-money

but it also depends how old the kids are

you want to be getting games that REWARD THEM when they do something right.
what you have chosen here is not a good game

and of all things… YOU CHOSE CRYPTO :stuck_out_tongue:
they probably don’t get currency pairs to begin with , let alone crypto

i would suggest you discontinue this ASAP

1 Like

My youngest 2 girls had their own “Play” Poker accounts when they were 8&9.

We sat on a train once and played for pennies we kept in a jar for the purpose. Some of the “PC’s” looked quite jealous.

WHen they went off to Uni, some of the lads got a shock when the girls took their money off them ! :sunglasses:

Hahahh I bet they did not see that coming…especially from two girls :smiley: Anyway, I think that this could be quite helpful for children’s early financial education and use of math. It could boost their rational thinking ability and help them orientate earlier in professional life. Although, parents should be careful as it could easily turn into a gambling mania or misinterpretation for fast and easy money. But overall my opinion is that if you wish and if your kids have such interests, you could try these games with them to see their potential.

I think you’re selling the kids short. Sure they are not adults yet but letting them get used to the idea of making money and it takes isn’t such a bad idea. Back in the good old days we did the bottle thing, had paper routes did odd jobs around the neighborhood etc.

One of my boys was in a desk chair with on original Apple playing whatever games and letter invaders etc. before he could walk. Today he is one of the world’s best gamers earning money for charities and programming for some large companies freelance! how good is that?

Kids play chess and advanced board games all the time. If they enjoy it, I do not see the issue here. There certainly is a lot worse stuff they could be learning. Lighten up and let them thrive.

1 Like

@midwest
Respectfully, i see your point and i understand this…

Most parents don’t see the issue

but again, My wife is an expert at this, and she say’s it’s a BIG problem, not just a little one, that means it is.

Kids have to learn certain fundamental things before they can learn higher and more complex things,
now, what thsi woman is doing is not exactly the same as board games either , nor is it the same as Atari or Apple or a paper route or the Bottle thing
it’s damaging , what she’s doing

but hey… Who am i to say anything. She’s the parent… right ?
so that ends that conversation.

Yes I think that is a real problem. Clearly, no computer game can be programmed to mimic the movements of the actual instruments, so any game has to be far more simple to “Win” than the real thing.

If mine were interested, I’d get them proper demo accounts and just let them play it as though they were computer games.

I would tell them they were trading the REAL markets, Even let them go through the “School of pips” on your login, if they wanted to - but I believe that a young mind without prejudices, may be able to work out “Trading” better, playing it like a “Computer game” than we “Adults” can.

Children learn by “Play” - if you refuse to let them play, they will not have the neccessary experience to avoid getting themselves into serious problems as adults. In this respect, our job as Parents is somewhat different from that of the so-called “child care experts” -

Their job is to get the kids to 18 without the kids causing problems (for the experts) - a good compliant child without any experience to “them” is a “success” ! irrespective of the disasters that befall the “Good kid” as an adult.

Our job as Parents is to let the kids have the experiences as early as possible and when they get “hurt”, to “kiss it better”, put antiseptic on the grazes and cuts and let them out to play again. Our job is to let go of them - a bit at a time, so they turn 18 and leave home fully experienced adults with the ability to thrive in a world full of dangers, scams, and “wrong uns” - full of confidence they can cope with whatever life throws at them !

The sooner they learn that life is NOT “fair” the better - then they have the opportunity to accept that and build upon it - rather than being taught some idealistic concept of “fairness” and having it shatterred as an adult in a court case where the opposition has “painted a better picture” !

[Edit - refusing kids the opportunity to learn through play - just has to be a short sighted and damaging action.]

I can’t say fairer than that +1 @midwest

That is NOT how forex works !

It is NOT how real life works !

There are only “Rules” one puts in place ones-self based on one’s own “Parent” (Eric Berne)

1 Like

Traders in general are given a bad rap, why? Because many folks have not learned sound rules to live by. Further I don’t think many parents especially the last two generations have been taught much about ethics and decision making or keeping ones word. I’m a bit old fashion maybe.

Back to the why? Just like certain professions have garnered distrust such as over a lifetime, sales folks of various products for example the expression about used car salesperson, politicians of any parity from the city level thru the Presidency, Lawyers, stock brokers and traders alike, because many folks have decided to cut corners and stretch the truth a bit not to mention graff, lying and outright fraud a basic lack of character again why? It comes back to the most common denomination of all FEAR. Man’s most basic instinct to survive no matter what no matter how we hide it or cloud the human responses it all comes back to the subconscious and how or what decision we make in order to achieve whatever level of comfort our mind deems necessary to achieve that goal.

Do I think the above mentioned professions are any different than the rest of us? It’s not the profession per say it’s the people in them and their decisions and what various sociological groups and morays have taught people in the path of the opposite of fear.

Forex trading brings our indosecrinicies to the forefront. That’s why we have several and a very few very successful authors of Forex psychology books. A few of which most of us have read. In Forex we do not have the luxury to put our emotions “fears” in our trading. We have to have character and rules to trade by or we lose. We have to be able to say “I am the best loser I know” and move on letting the losing trade just roll of our backs. That doesn’t imply that we don’t analize we we lost a trade but rather we keep better records of why so we can correct the problem if there is one to be found. If we have followed all of our rules and a trade is lost that doesn’t mean it was a bad trade only that it was a lost trade. The market sentiment at that time didn’t agree with our trade analysis and with out greed or revenge we move on to the next trade.

Somehow I don’t think learning these principle corrupts but rather makes us better people and producers for ourselves, family and society overall.

Is that how real life works? no in real life and unfortunately in most societies people are forced into positions or situations sometimes beyond their control to earn a living and adapt to what may be the corruption and lack of principles above them in order to achieve some degree of comfort in order to put that basic fear to rest but it is always back there. Who amongst us has reached a truly altruistic state of being?

As for the gambling, Not so if one trades with proper money management.Even though the forex system itself can be manipulated buy big money we can win in this game just like professional gamblers have learned to play the game. By developing an edge. I have stated how to do that in another post about why do I always lose. In that vein the fund which I trade with teaches a money management system known as the “…” Benjamin Franklin Formula “BF” and when applied properly and faithfully a trader will develop an edge. With a tested trading strategy and proper money management the gambling aspect of the traders life becomes boring and robotically placing trades and making money.

Lets remember Forex is a zero sum game, somebody wins and somebody loses by putting the rules in proper order just like any profession the odds are on the traders side with out the interference of out parent, our higher ups or society.

I can’t unfortunately upload any PDF’s here to teach the BF or dispel the myth about 95% losers which is based on closed accounts but as a zero sum game there are losers.

That’s my story and I’m stickin to it. I hope that dispels some of the irrational fears expressed buy so many.

@Falstaff
mate, firstly , i’m not talking about forex, i’m talking about child psychology
secondly, this one is not up for debate , what she said is a fact, she’s an expert at this, this is her bread and butter, trust me mate when it comes to children SHE BLOODY KNOWS,

if she’s telling me this is damaging to the kids WITH THAT MUCH CONVICTION , then it is.
it’s not like she said… Ohh that’s not really good
No No No… she was 100% certain about it

and as for this statement

this doesn’t apply to children , it applies to adults,
children mimic adults and thats how they learn THE RULES of whatever you want to talk about
the rules of how to eat
how to laugh when to laugh
etc…

bottom line, it’s not healthy for the kids