Simple & almost naked. The dream date or the dream system?

Heya just a query i noticed in the EA you have the line:

“extern double Lot_size=0.01; // IF RISK_BASED IS FALSE, EVERY TRADE WILL BE OPENED WITH THIS LOT SIZE”

But i can’t find any true/false value to say whether to use risk or what percentage of risk to use. I can’t see where to set the risk in the config section or elsewhere could someone point this out to me please if i have missed this?

Thanks

today trades; Perfect pullback examples:

yes, i use it just for pullbacks.

rvi 5
stochastic 10,3,3 low/high, lvls 20-80

i have tried it on 5min gbpusd charts, using the past 3 month data. 1st the results seems to be worse than the previous version, it takes less trades, makes less profit, but the drowdown was the same.
then i started to change parametres, and here are the results:

WITHOUT LAUER(previous version):

NEW EA VERSION:

looking for the maxium profit; only trailing stop, without tp:

WITHOUT the LAUER indicator:

Using the last EA VERSION:

the next week i will start backtesting as i promised, with the 2 years data, and we will see… by now it looks good.

Interesting, here are my results on EURUSD and GBPUSD only from the last day on the 5 min chart, ignore the live trade you can see this is from another EA i am testing.

It looks promising, only thing i am using Hot Forex, i get the arrows for trades appearing but no actual trades on my demo account. I can’t see any errors, is anyone else getting the same thing ?

What might be interesting for the next version of the EA if this is possible, is to have the option like:

trade_pullback: true/false
trade_breakout: true/false

Im interested to see how this EA does if we just trade the pullbacks, might give us better success, what do you think Paw3000? Or should we let the EA trade both?

Also was re-thinking the exit for the EA, instead of using SAR what about if we used a trailing stop? That should help us get more of those really large breaks/pullbacks we see ? Or do you think the current exit is fine ?

Perhaps the MA’s can help to eliminate more fakeouts and the trailing stop allow us to take more profit to make up for losses ?

Thanks much appreciated, out of interest if you compare this EA to how you trade, which i think now the only difference is the moving averages, do you think this EA could be made more accurate with adding the moving averages to it ?

Also if the EA works great at trading the pullbacks, perhaps we should just settle and let it only trade pullbacks rather than pullbacks and breakouts ?

EA for pullbacks and breakouts we do manually? Just to keep things simple, my only concern is that we start to overload the EA with lots of indicators and we turn something which initial tests look good into a loser

Thanks

have started with a 3rd pair, usdcad. Today trades, 13 pips sl, 15 pips tp. +60 pips… lucky day.

I think that it is because the time is not correct or the ea doesn’t recognize the Lauer direction as the same direction as the trade.

A trailing stop could be nice, by now if you change the psar settings you can get a reliable stops, and be able to catch movements of over 100 pips:

probably yes, we can get better results adding Ma’s on it, because they doesnt repaint as Lauer do. I have backtested it using the visual mode, and sometimes it only takes trades against the trend, and ignore some good entries on the Lauer direction.

By now i would center on breakouts, once we get the best performance on them, we can add the pullbacks. I think Is better to finish what we have started before adding new things on a new and diferent direction. Perhaps we can get nice results trading only breakouts…
Although is true that I have changed my strategy from breakouts to pullbacks, and my profit has been increased significantly. Maybe its a personal choice, or maybe it works better. However, what im sure is that the pullbacks system is by far more dificult to code, and to code it well. And it would hardly get the same performance than a human trader. A first version of pullbacks ea could be just with fibonacci+cloud cross on the Lauer or ma’s direction, as a 1st base, and then keep adding other improvements, as we have done with the breakout ea.

If all indicators we add have a true/false option we increase the probability to find a good settings, without any chances of ruining it.

Sandybeach, your interest and contributions are really appreciated.

Have a good weekend!

No worries :slight_smile: Also is the EA placing trades for you in your demo account and if so what broker are you using?

Im wondering if its just not compatible with Hot Forex :frowning:

But i do agree with you, we should keep it simple and build up the EA

Dineshydv when you publish your next version of the EA to us could you set the default settings for SAR as “Use_SAR=true; SAR_step=0.001; SAR_max=0.1; Use_Default_TP=false”, this is as per Paw3000’s findings, also could it be updated with any other settings changes we find. The only reason i ask this is so that if people take the EA from this thread they don’t have to customize it and hopefully it should make testing easier for us.

Great work Paw3000, i didnt think this version of the EA would be as good as it is!

Have a great weekend everyone !

Ok my MT4 has screwed up and only allowing my strategy tester to work from 2012.06.06 to today, so this is not too good, will look to fix this this weekend, but the results are encouraging:

I have used all of Paw’s test settings above on GBPUSD. Not bad for two months trading, but this is not 90% modelling quality, so don’t take this as a grail report, go with Paw3000’s reports. I think now with this EA we are at that turning point where we have something that will work and that we just need to perfect it, test it and find the best settings.

The MA’s will be interesting to see how well they help us get into positions quicker and stay out of fake outs.

Out of interest does anyone else have a problem with the trade arrows being drawn for a trade entry but no actual trades being launched in their accounts?

Thanks

Great work !!!

boy Blizard is going to have a nice surprise when he returns from holiday lol.

Just take care about backtesting on weekend, look at symbol properties, some brokers increase his spread on the last hours of the week, so you can be backtesting with 10 or 15 pips spread, wich is dificult to get good results with it.
This can be the main reason why our backtests differ

That was pick from a backtest, I will let the 2 setups i posted before running monday morning, so if you want, do the same with your hotforex account, and then we compare the results.

I envy him, he has a really long vacations. :slight_smile:

Good point Paw3000 i didnt realise that about the spread on the weekends. Well i wont post any new tests unless i am certain my data is more accurate, i would hate to throw everyone off from posting some flawed test results.

I’ll leave that for you, but i’ll try and sort out my MT4 history so i can try to get 90% accuracy on the data.

Thanks for the pointers Paw3000 much appreciated :slight_smile: Out of interest Paw3000 are you able to do 90% data modelling for the tests and how far back can you go with your data with 90% modelling accuracy?

I’ll do a run of mine on GBPUSD tomorrow morning but i think its not going to be very accurate, so im not sure whether i should post those screenshots as i don’t want to confuse readers due to my flawed strategy tester.

What i will be interested in is seeing what your strategy tests are like on the EA in its present form compared to Dinesh’s next version which will use the MA’s.

Also Dinesh if you have time could you add into the next version of your EA a true/false for trading on Saturdays and Sundays like you did in your code for Fridays and Mondays.

extern bool FridayTrade=true; // Trade on Fridays
extern bool MondayTrade=true; // Trade on Mondays

I only ask this as it will help to make our strategy tester results more accurate as we are naturally not going to trade on Saturday or Sunday but the strategy tester does not know this.

Thanks, have a great week everyone.

The comment is carried from the initial version of the EA which has a RISK flag. But then I removed it with thought of adding it later once we have working profitable EA.

Ok. Got couple of inputs to work upon:

1. Add trade_pullback option -> It was in my mind to add since begining. If you guys read the code, I already have a parameter Trade_Breakout. I plan to add Trade_pullback option once we are done with all Trade_breakout changes.

2. Will add MA. FastMA and SlowMA. Now there will be a couple of option to enter a trade when:
    a. Only breakout trading…
    b. breakout matches with SAR,
    c. breakout matches with DT_ZIGIZAG,
    d. breakout matches with MA,
    e. breakout matches with any combination of SAR, DT_ZIGZAG, MA.
    All these options will be set by flags.

3. Will add flag for Saturday/Sunday trading.

Makes sense thanks :slight_smile:

I agree with you and Paw3000 about this, lets get the EA working profitable and then work on adding the pullbacks to (fingers crossed) increase the profit level.

Thanks Dineshydv for all your hard work on this EA, im sure everyone will agree we really do appreciate your time in working on it and look forward to testing it.

Take your time with the EA no rush. Also is the EA entering trades on your demo account as its not on mine, im just wondering if this is an incompatibility with my broker? I am using a 5 digit broker if that makes any difference ?

Thanks

Paw3000 out of interest i just remembered about how you mentioned you use the above RVI and Stoch settings for your pullbacks. Do you think some or all of these could be added to the breakout strategy EA to help the overall performance ?

Or are they only best for the pullbacks ?

Thanks

Attached is the EA modified with these changes…

ZZ_Blizard_ZZ_V1.3.zip (5.45 KB)

could you guys test it out and reply back how it goes…

Your EA would of given us a nice 20 pips today at 15:15 on EURUSD. I have it running from 00:00 to 24:00 for testing instead of just the 0800 - 1500 time limits.

Awesome work thanks !

Here a pair of today pullback setups on the 5 min chart with 2 new pairs:

Nzdusd:

Audjpy:

The 2 hourly trades i have taken this week:

Gbpjpy

Eurusd

Now if i see that there is a divergence on the stochastic i enter too, a divergence on both means a strong signal, so I double the lot size.

Hi guys,

First of all my apologies for this late reply, my holidays have ended, and i have been truly busy this last days… I think i will have to change my trading style because of my job schedules has changed and now i have low time to trade and backtest… I had to increase the number of pairs and timeframes to trade the pullback system in order not to have to take less than 1 or 2 trades/week. I have added 1hour and dayly tf and nzdusd, audusd, audjpy and usdcad pairs, so i hope that with 1 or 1,5 hours/day i would find at least 1 or 2 setups as i was doing until now. theoretically increasing the timeframe will increase the signals reliability.
nevertheless, or I have added too much pairs, or the return to my work has affected my trading, and my results are worse than what they used to be when i was trading only gbpusd and eurusd on 5 min chart…

I have data from 2001 and im able to backtest with 90% modelling quality data the 2010, 2011 and the 2 first month of 2012. So i have high quality data and medium quality data. However, using higher stops and tp than 15 pips, it should let really similar results. the big diference comes when we are using tp of abouth 5 pips and sl of 3 (example) when the results can higly differ.

Using the 2011"high quality" data (90% modelling quality) with the previous version, the 1.1 lauer, it took about 7 hours with my computer burning to end the backtest. Thats comprensible because of the lauer indicator, wich works on a different timeframe, and the psar trailing stop turns the backtest slowly… i have tried a pair of setups this morning with ma’s instead of lauer and the backtests have been a bit faster.

I tried with the 20 tp and lauer setup i have posted before, and the result is a net lose of about 600/800 pips/year using 2,7 spread. There are periods of 2-3 month (20-40 trades) when it is profitable, but then it fails again into huge losses,(I think most of them are because of news).

Don’t worry about the negative results, I have backtested many eas in the last 2 years wich seems profitable and have been profitable in a forward test and real accounts, and no one of them passed a 2 years backtest, if it was that easy we would be all millionaires.

Other thing to keep in mind is that on the backtest we cant avoid trading when an important new is realized, on the live trading, we can.
By now i will start backtesting this new version with the fastest metod and fast data and if i find something good i will make the 7 hours backtest, and i’ll post it here.

If i can’t find a clear profitable backtest using the past year data, i will start looking for a general setup, and then i will backtest month by month or every 4-3 month changing only a few “key” settings, in order to find the way to adapt the ea to the new market conditions every month. So we could have a litle “holygrail”. I think that this ea meets all requirements to be profitable, this just takes time and hard work, maybe a pair of month or so backtesting new settings.

The first objective of this additions was the breakout strategy improvement, Then Goodpunk came out with the pullback idea, wich allow to enter before a horizontal break occurs. The truth is that i have been trading the breakouts+rvi and stochastic filter only for a week, so im not sure if this would work. I think it could be dificult to code a divergence on the previous rvi wave, however it seems to be posible as we have a nice coder here^^.

Other good idea could be putting a fixed sl; sometimes, because of a huge move u can find sls of about 130 pips, and if it hits we lose the profit of the past 7 profitable trades, so if we could put a max sl for the 2 sl metods, it would be nice.
Also, i have seen that if the ea found a new order on the same direction he adds a new position, if you could limit the number of opened positions…It will help to improve the backtests and live trading.
Thanks dineshydv and sandybeach, your work is really apreciate. Hope we can turn this ea profitable for all and forever :wink:

Makes sense what you say about the backtesting, the EA has looked good for entering trades over the last few days, but we will need more than a few days to ensure it works in the long run, but using the default settings there would of been more profit than loss.

I have an idea for exiting trades, i actually got this idea from another EA on another thread here on babypips. What about using a trailing stop after entering a trade, so if we use something like a 5 or 10 pip stop it should help us to at least breakeven if trades go bad. So when we hit 5 pips in profit SL is breakeven, 10 pips in profit then we are 5 pips in profit.

I doubt 5 pips is good as its probably too tight so maybe 10 pips. It might mean we get stopped out at breakeven alot but ten when there are big moves we should get bigger profits taken.

Might be better using this method to help limit losses and gain bigger profits on the bigger moves rather than coding lots of other indicators etc to do this.

Also using the latest version of the EA, today at 12.20 and 14.40 would of given us profitable trades, the 12.20 about 30 pips if using a trailing stop and the 14.40 one another 40 pips on EURUSD, no losses on GBPUSD or EURUSD.

So just to clarify, standard SL is set using standard method or at X amount (as Paw3000 mentioned), then use the trailing stop to move the SL to help us gain more profit in big moves and to help limit the losses, as i would rather be stopped out at breakeven than at a loss.

What do you guys think ?

What about having the EA set the SL at present but if it is lower than the static SL we use the static SL limit, that way we can get the best of both worlds ?

Heya your part in the testing is just as important !!! We all really do appreciate the time you have given to this project!

Also i found out why the EA was not placing trades for me, such a stupid mistakes, i should know better !!!

“2012.09.05 23:27:07 ZZ_Blizard_ZZ_V1.3 EURUSD,M5: Allow Live Trading First.”

Maybe i am tired or mistaken, but i assume the following false values need to be changed to true to allow trades for buy/sell and for the various conditions ?

bool HH_Line_Brkout=[B]false[/B], HZ_Line_Brkout=[B]false[/B], LL_Line_Brkout=[B]false[/B], LZ_Line_Brkout=[B]false[/B];

double hline, lline, hzline, lzline, Opn_Prv1, Cls_Prv1;
bool signal_buy=[B]false[/B], signal_sell=[B]false[/B];

Thanks guys. PS sorry if i have not made sense as its midnight here in the UK, and i finished work 2 hours ago so really sleepy, just point out of i haven’t made sense and will explain myself better tomorrow.

Cheers guys.

The first line you pasted is from the journal tab.?? right.?? You need to “allow live trading” from tools-> options. Also allow “import ddl”.
Altering code wont help you. They are set false to identify breakout. If you to true you will get lot-of false signals…