Stop loss or No Stop loss?

Should you trade with a stop loss ,
I heard some pro traders don’t use stop losses ?

What’s your opinion regarding Stop losses ?

I find it inconceivable that any pro trader would not use a stop loss? Where did you hear that gem? :rolleyes:

I came across this forex seminar and one of the things he was talking about was stop losses think about though you think when gorge soros puts 100 million on a trade you think he puts a stop loss

Can you help with the question i just posted on my thread. Im not doing it for hits just help thanks anyone. Liberty i know this is your thread so excuse me.

Probably not if it’s a bad trade and his down he probably makes a call to his bank and closes it I mean trading with a stop loss can be good money management but , if you think about it’s a sure way for your broker to take your money especially when your not entering the market @ a proper entry or when there’s a signal.

When traders/institutions are putting anywhere from 100s of millions to billions into currency trades they are not using 50:1 or 200:1 leverage as retail traders are. They are not using any leverage at all. They are generally parking their money in a currency as a safe haven (they have to put it somewhere), taking advantage of the carry trade or taking a lower risk/long term position (lower risk generally equates to low reward).

Traders of this size have practically zero risk of losing all of their money – when was the last time the value of a major currency went to zero? No matter how bad the US, Japanese or Canadian economies may get they are not going to disappear and neither are their respective currencies. Therefore, they do not need stop losses. Even if they lose on a massive trade the majority of their money remains intact (especially since the sophistication of traders of this size is light years ahead of retail traders – they are, after all, invested in multiple markets and not just a quick scalp on the NZD/USD).

If you are trading with zero leverage then go ahead and skip the stop loss. The more leverage you use the more vital a stop loss becomes because the amplification of even a very small move in a currency pair can wipe out your account in short order.

Stop loss is very important in trading as it helps the trader to improve the money management skills. Forex is very risky business so trading should be done with proper risk management and stop loss helps the trader manage the risk.

A stop loss is mandatory to profitable trading…period.

Exactly… you eather need a lot of time, money, patience and nerves OR a simple good old stop loss :smiley:

Hello to the OP…

I agree with all that has been said…

Simple articles, such as the following, really bring home the message that stops are a vital part of Forex trading…

What are the rules for placing stop and limit orders in forex?

Regards

But isn’t there more technical strategys That if your in a loosing trade in stead of having a stop loses you could hedge the trade , I do agree that trading with a stop is important but there’s a few pros out there who disagree who trade without a stop and are very sucessful

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/stop-loss-philosophy-analyst-blog-cm339131

Using stop loss is actually the method of proffesional traders. If a trader is not using stop loss then we can’t consider him a pro trader, he is only an amature trading that is trying different stuff to some how maintain an exsitance in forex market which is not possible in this way.

Stop Loss is not always need, you can use it in some trades and no use in some trades. It depends on, if you are confident of your trading skill and experience. I think you can manually close your trades, no need SL. But I think it’s impossible to win all trades without setting stop loss.

Sometimes I have no time to set SL. This occurs most often when I’m waiting for execution of some news. Then I close orders manually. But in general I try to use SL.

Stop loss is a must what ever the strategy is. If you don’t use stop loss you should always with the trade 24X7

I do not want to waste my time too, but mostly I don’t want to waste my funds, so StopLoss is think that can be named “MUSTUSE”

I agree, Especially for beginners.

Again, I cannot stress this enough, stop loss is mandatory, you can either go with the fixed stop loss or use a trailing stop…but as for the “no, i won’t use a SL” tactic, sorry, that ain’t going to work right, all the time. Sure, you may end up keeping a position open for months, as hedge funds often do…but bottom lime, for retail traders stop loss is a must.

Using stop loss should be part of any trading strategy, otherwise you are risking to blow up your account with one or two trades moving against you. And yes there are pro traders who never use stop loss.