Sunday Breakout Strategy

hi guys, i can see comments that some or most of you have been stopped out. I wonder why our entries are all different. I guess i am lucky then cos my entries were: long = 16335 short = 16280 stop loss= 55
I am still in the short trade but will close out soon as i see only a minimum of 3:1 risk reward (currently about 5 pips to target).
Anybody else still in the trade?

stopped out of short as well,
pretty frustating spike seeing profit would be 150 pips atm

If you have followed strictly to Sunday breakout, you would have 2 losers this week (long and short).

For the balance of ATR logic,

• if the weekly range is 500, and the short trade ran 250 and comes back up, it means u probably might have another 250 to run.

A very disappointing day. Stopped out on both trades rather quickly

My broker showed more Sunday data so my long entry was higher, meaning I didnā€™t get stopped on the short and managed to take 2R to the short side.

I wonder if it is worth considering, if Sunday gaps down, taking Friday close as the high? It certainly would have kept you in todayā€™s trade but increases the Risk so may be detrimental over the long term. Another one for testing maybe?

Im still in the short too. But im sticking in for the 228 take profit. Moved to break even at least.

MatW2009

does your broker have priced data from 8pm gmt on sunday as opposed to 10 pm used by phil838 which was the basis of all his backtesting, my broker which is ig markets has the extra 2 hours of price data on sundays which have consistently given me different sunday candles from phil, but i have been using philā€™s figures for the sunday breakout trades because these are the figures which have been thoroughly backtested.

despite this i have noticed on a few occaisons now that i would of been better off using my own feed, today being a good example

I would be very interested if you or anyone is able to backtest with with the 4 hours of sunday data to see what results we get

Until it is backtested though, i would be cautious about trading with the extra data as that could affect the overal longterm performance of this strategy

Same here, stopped out on both the sidesā€¦

Nutrader,

Yes, I get the data feed from market open circa 8pm like you. However also like you my 4hour data only goes back 3 months. Sorry!

i guess the more sunday data you use, generally the longer the candle, and the lower your risk reward. if we go for a 200 pip TP, and a SL of 50, we have 4x if we hit the TP, but with SL of 40, we can have 5x. So over time, it adds up quite a lot.

but the low win ratio is a bit worrisome, since we all need to wait for the jackpot if/when it comesā€¦iā€™ll keep trying on my data feed for next few weeks/months and step back to make an assessment thenā€¦

Hi guys,
first of all iā€™d like to say ā€œPhil thank you for sharing your strategyā€. For new traders like me itā€™s very helpful.
I have a question - by " Find the Sunday candle" does Phil mean the one that has formed at exactly 20:00 GMT, cos we all know that there is more than one sunday candle?

thank you very much

Markets open at approximately 20:00 GMT so on the 4 hour charts (which is what we look at for these trades) there is only one candle.
Itā€™s kinda equivalent to saying the high from Sunday open to midnight and the low in the same period.

Some peoples charts show more data than others but that is the basic premise.

Ok Lets say I enter short and the trade goes against me, lets say the ADR is 600 and my target is 300 and lets say the first trade went in my direction 250 pips but then reversed. My question is would I still take the buy order since there is 350 of the ADR left. Please someone explain this in detail for me thank you.

Following are my entries on GBPUSD for this week 07/12.

Long:
Open : 1.6220
SL = 1.6176

Short = 1.6166
SL = 1.6210

Week ADR = 457, so the target profit is - 228

Stop loss is - 44 pips

4 HR candle reading on IBfax:
Open - 1.6177
Close - 1.6198
High = 1.6210
Low - 1.6176

I personally would not take since that looks risky and you almost got the profit you were looking for in that week.

But I am not sure what this strategy rule says ?

Thanks for posting. I was one pip different than yours

me too. 1 pip diff.

Happy trading to all:D

Who knows that one pip can make you winner of this weekā€¦ All the bestā€¦

edit: never mind