The 3 Duck's Trading System

@Captain_Currency, welcome back!

1 Like

Greetings everyone!

I’m fairly new to fx (been reading, learning, studying for the past 1,5 year) and I’m interested in this system. Any life-saving musts I should know about?
I’ve made a couple trades already with mixed results so far.

(I’m currently reading through the entire thread.)

Cheers

Edit: I’m currently looking at G/Y. Ducks are lined up.

Looking to enter long when 5min hits back to around the grey line. My only concern is that on the 1hr, the move up seems to be coming to a stall.

Welcome to the Duck yard Kohipeet,

My take on Gbp.Jpy
Technically: price (1.4985) is trading above sma on 4hr chart.
Ducks: Bullish (at least for now)
Trend stage: previous 4hr trend was down, now currently flat/sideways.
Can it go higher? Quackometer says it 50/50 from here.
Would I buy it? Naw, I’d prefer to sit on my hands for now.

Yes, the one below is a must

Also, be sure to check out The 3 Ducks eBook (if you haven’t done so all ready).

Andy,
Captain Currency

Hi Captain,

Thank you for your input. I took the trade and I ended up losing 16 pips. There wasn’t even a cross on the 5 min chart. I gotta work on my patience because I want to trade even though there’s no signal yet.

Lesson learned I guess.

(On the flipside, I managed to catch a retracement to up -the 5min crossed the SMA this time and both the 1hr and 4hr were above so I took this trade too and I gained 12 pips so that somewhat made me feel better.)

p.s.: Sorry for the basic question, but on the 4hr chart how many candles should go in a direction for you to consider it a trend.

where is the link to the ebook? or to order it

1 Like

The 3 Duck's Trading System?

Edit:

I got a PM from Andy Perry, giving us a direct link for downloading his ebook –

Three Ducks eBook

1 Like

@captain_currency

Hey mate. Great system you have here. Seems like you’re still around after 10+ years which is awesome. I’ve also read your ebook. I have a couple of questions. I’d appreciate if you could answer.

1. Why 60 SMA? Why not 50 or 70 or any other? Any special reason to choose 60?

2. The entry on the 5m chart is done after the break of the previous high AND price being above the SMA line. A) What if when I look at the chart and the price is already above the SMA line and above the previous high? Should I get in? B) What if the price is above the SMA but below the previous high? Should I wait for it to break previous high before I get in? C) Price breaks previous high but still stays below the SMA. I should wait for it to break above the SMA line too, right?

I would be very grateful if you could answer these.
Thanks a lot!

1 Like

[quote=“jas0992, post:3137, topic:6430”] What if when I look at the chart and the price is already above the SMA line and above the previous high? Should I get in?
[/quote]

A quick gander at page 8 of the 3 Ducks eBook will answer that question for you Jas.

Good trading for the month ahead,

Andy
Captain Currency

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! I’ll add this to my reading list. :slight_smile:

Thank you very much for your reply!

Yes, page 8 did clear it up. If you have a minute and can answer the following question too, I would be grateful. What if the price is above SMA and above previous highs? Should I get in or not?

I’m loving your system. Or maybe I just had super beginners luck. I tried it on demo. 4 trades with $100 margin each. Lost $8.23 and made $108.2 within the span of 9 hours.

[quote=“jas0992, post:3137, topic:6430”]
Why 60 SMA? Why not 50 or 70 or any other? Any special reason to choose 60?
[/quote]
Hey Jas, the 60 period sma is just a good “average”. No scientific reason why I choose it over a slightly slower (or slightly faster sma).

Andy
Captain Currency

Greeting Duck Hunters, my take on Eur.Gbp,

Technically: price (0.8950) is trading above sma on 4hr chart.
Ducks: Bullish.
Trend stage: possibly the early stage of a new upswing (hopefully not the top of a range).
Can it go higher? Quackometer says it 60/40 that 0.9150 will be hit before 0.8750.
Could we see pullbacks? Can fish swim …
Would I buy it? Yes, when all 3 Ducks line-up in the same direction and RvR is looking favourable.
Where trend may fail? I’d reckon if price drops >100 pips below the sma on our 4 hour chart, I’d go neutral.

Andy
Captain Currency

Hi Captain. At this moment, the ducks don’t seem to be lined up anymore for EURGBP. 4HR is still above SMA, 1H is just on the SMA and seems like its falling and 5M is way below SMA now. I looked back at the chart to see what they were showing at the time you made the post. At that time, 4H was above SMA, 1H had just made a newer high and 5M candle’s wick had just broken SMA and closed below it and since then it has been in a downfall. If you did take the trade at the time of posting this, I assume you might have hit stop-loss? All right, so this was me trying to understand the chart you posted.

Now, onto what I wanted to say. First of all, I DO BELIEVE your system works. I think I am doing something wrong or maybe just having a bad streak of bad luck. I’m on demo account, practicing your system. I am following your system to the best of my ability. This is what I am doing.

For long trade-
4H - Making sure the price is above SMA. Nothing else.
1H - Making sure the price is above SMA. Nothing else.
5M - I enter trade when the price breaks previous high (or if there is no recent previous high to break) AND the price is above SMA. If both conditions are met, I enter. I put a stop-loss below the SMA (sometimes a bit lower than the previous low if my risk tolerance allows me to otherwise just below the SMA).

How I have lost trades: I enter a trade when all ducks are in line and when on 5M chart, the price has met both conditions. And just as I buy, price starts falling and keeps falling until it hits stop loss. In another scenario, I buy and price keeps climbing for a bit and then sharply reverse and keeps falling until stop loss is hit.

My record of last 3 trading days is (apparently all were long trades):
Total trades = 17
Won = 9
Loss = 6
BE = 3 (breakeven means when I was able to move stop loss up to BE price and it got hit)

I may be looking at charts wrong or something. I don’t know if it matters but I do not care about red candles when I am looking at 4H and 1H as long as the price is above SMA (because there were no such instructions in your ebook). Maybe the recent few candles should be green which confirms the uptrend is still going before I move to 5M?

I need your valuable advice on what you think I might be doing wrong. Again, I think your system works. And I believe in it. I just need some more guidance. I would greatly appreciate it if you could help me out a little.

Keep it simple, wouldn’t say it about candles, more so basic structure - higher highs and higher lows are the elements that create a 4hr uptrend for me.

Also, if I was you Kohipeet I’d take a quick gander at What is a Trending Market? Always good to go back to basics ehhh.

Andy
Captain Currency

Oh Captain my Captain :smiley:
Working with 3 Ducks since a few months now is fantastic. Losses are small and wins are acceptable. To keep it simple is wise.
Now i have a question:
I’d rly like to not sit all day screening the charts waiting for an opportunity to trade on my own. Is there a maybe alrdy an existing group of Traders using 3 Ducks who share their ideas on a platform like telegram or similar? Would be best if you’d be part of it haha :smiley:
greetings and have a beautiful day Captn

Slow down man, you’ll end up burning yourself out. You probably know what I’d say; read the thread, dip-in and dip-out of it, many fine people have taken the time to contribute over the past +10 years. Read the eBook (again and again), then practise, practise, practise on your own charts and don’t complicate stuff.

Make sure your hopes are not unrealistic, Pipcrawler smashed it with his post on Expectations and the follow-up comments are on point.

Don’t kill me but trading is really a journey of a thousand (hard) miles #BloodSweatTears #NoHolyGrail #NoMagicIndicator #90%Fail

Andy
Captain Currency

Hi. Thanks for your reply. I’m sorry if you got offended. That wasn’t my intention. I have read your book a few times and I look at the charts for hours practicing your system. There were a few confusions for me which weren’t clarified in the ebook that’s why I asked. I’ll try to figure it out. Anyways, thanks a lot for providing such a valuable system.

1 Like

[quote=“Vaugrim, post:3145, topic:6430”]

Now i have a question:
I’d rly like to not sit all day screening the charts waiting for an opportunity to trade on my own. Is there a maybe alrdy an existing group of Traders using 3 Ducks who share their ideas on a platform like telegram or similar? Would be best if you’d be part of it haha :smiley: [/quote]

Hey there Vaugrim, I’m sure a trading group would have pro’s and con’s, wouldn’t be for me I’m afraid, I prefer working (and thinking) on my own …

Andy
Captain Currency

Nothing stopping you from jumping on board a moving train but bare in mind what the side note on page 8 of the eBook says. Ultimately it’s your call Jas.

It’s water off a Duck’s back, wasn’t offended one bit but I can’t stop you from having losing trades, it’s part of the game and we all have them.

A good weekend to all,

Andy
Captain Currency

Thanks for your reply!

I certainly understand that a good amount of losing trades will always be a pair of my trading career (if I am able to make one). All I want to do is LEARN to use this system to its full effectiveness. That’s all. And I sometimes get annoying with my questions when I am seriously trying to learn and understand something, so sorry about that. Thanks for all the help! :slight_smile: