The Adam Theory of Markets by J. Welles Wilder Jnr

Hey Jedster.

I was alerted (by email) of your last post last week already but have not had a chance to respond until now. Unfortunately I’ve got W-A-Y too may things on my plate right now (broker related as opposed to trading related) hence my not being so prolific on the forums (ANY forums for that matter) of late. But that has to change and soon too. I miss it.

All I’d like to say is THANK YOU FOR KEEPING THE FLAG FLYING!!! Your work does not go unnoticed I assure you.

I’d also like to say that it’s one of the finest posts I’ve seen on any forum for a very long time.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Dale.

Never in my life had i read such abundancy of s*****, i mean the book, try something easier like Fibonacci. Couldn’t go farther than page 6 or something.

Hello.

“Well there’s your problem”!!! LOL!!! (Adam, Mythbusters)!!! LOL!!!

I’ve never said that Adam Theory in and of itself is some amazing discovery (but I’m open minded about it that being said). It’s Wilder’s trading rules and the way he expresses them that count in this book in my opinion. Follow those rules and you cannot fail. Simple as that.

And you cannot deny that “going with” the market is the way to go. You’d be surprised at the number of traders that think that “going against” the market can be profitable in the long term!!! HOW you decide to “go with” the market is personal (be it Adam Theory or any other theory or trading system or methodology).

Regards,

Dale.

Good morning.

Well if this doesn’t “breathe new life” into this old thread and once again bring J. Welles Wilder Jnr. to the forefront again then nothing will (NOTE THE SOURCE):

iPhone 5 Frenzy Could Take Apple To $721 - Forbes

You cannot beat “the old man”.

Enjoy.

Regards,

Dale.

Now theres a face I have not seen in a while. Where you been hiding Dale?

Hmmmm and here I thought I was caught up with the times as I just got the wife the iphone4 not to long ago. Me I am old school with the Iphone3 gs still lol.

Hello.

Hey. I’m still here. I’ll always be here. I’ll die with a chart in front of me I guess!!! LOL!!! I’ve become a bit of a “lurker” in these parts of late i.e. busy setting up this office here (and let me tell you: TRADiNG IS EASIER and I’m NOT joking either)!!! I try to keep up to date as best as possible but really only reply to one of the GAZILLION threads that I’m subscribed to (this obviously being one of them).

How are YOU doing???

You think YOU are “old school”??? I don’t even have a SmartPhone i.e. I’ve still got those mobile phones (Nokias because my Motorola V3 broke) with “Snake Xenia” on them (the game)!!! LOL!!! They do have FLASHLIGHTS on them though!!! LOL!!!

Nice to “hear” from you.

Regards,

Dale.

Interesting article Dale. I wonder if it might indeed stir up some renewed interest…

I think that, like that person earlier, a lot of people can’t get past the first few pages. Although, if you can get past and sign up to the whole idea, which granted is pretty hard, then it does work (as I have proved). It is not hard in so much as it is complicated, but it is hard to “surrender” and really just jump on that train.

I have another couple of trades to post here, to try to keep this thread slightly alive… I’m in the middle of France at the moment though, so I’ll wait until I get home to post the details, screen shots, etc…

Ok, so I did say I would provide an update.

After following the process I described in an earlier post, back in June I determined that Aussie dollar was strengthing, as was Kiwi dollar, and the euro was weakening along with Sterling and the Yen. Not at all rocket science to deduce that huh…

Anyway, I took a number of trades
BUY NZDJPY at 61.845 14/06/12
SELL GBPNZD at 1.96914 19/06/12
SELL EURNZD at 1.58624 19/06/12
SELL EURAUD at 1.24683 25/06/12
BUY AUDCAD at 1.03335 27/06/12

All these charts looked pretty ok at the time, but I’ll just just pick out the EURAUD as an example.

This was what it looked like when I entered the trade, on the 4H chart.

(direct link http://i.imgur.com/n1siF.png)

Now this isn’t an entry out of the book. At the time I had wanted to enter on the break of 1.2523 a few days earlier on the 18th (I put an arrow above the candle that I should have entered in). Unfortunately, I missed that entry. But a few days later I entered after a retracement. I figured, I should have been in this trade by now, the conditions are still valid, so I just took it.I jumped on that train!

My stop was placed at 1.2620, (151.6 pips away) entry was 0.4 (micro lots). So I was risking around £60 which was less than 1% of my account, I think it was about 0.8%.

The trade moved perfectly, so lets talk about the exit.

I am a bit annoyed with myself with the exit. So a double bottom formed at 1.16. Now I know the Adam strategy says that we wait for price to break back above a swing high, and we tend to give back about 30%-40%. At the time I figured that price would have to continue to move substantially further than where it was, perhaps down to about 1.12, or 1.10, so that it could retrace back up to 1.16 and allow me to realise this level of profit. So, I very nearly closed the trade there and then.

Of course I didn’t actually exit! I wish I had taken my logic and listened to it! Instead, I stuck with the trade. I had Jesse Livermoore in my head saying

“It was never my thinking that made me the money, it was my sitting”.

So my exit wasn’t so good. I actually used some tramlines to decide my exit.

(direct link http://i.imgur.com/0G43c.png)

It looked like the trend may have ended with the double bottom and the tram lines(I thought) confirmed that, so I had a stop in place which was hit in the last bar of this chart, while I was on the beach :slight_smile: I got out at 1.1858.

Of the 5 trades, 3 of them broke even. 2 of those break even trades could have gone on to make some money if I hadn’t moved my stop to break even so soon, but there we go. But, 2 of the 5 trades were literally perfect, the EA trade described above and also a very similar EURNZD trade.

EURNZD sold at 1.58624 19/06/12, exit 1.52616 = +600.8 pips, profit £327.4 = 4.7%
EURAUD sold at 1.24683 25/06/12 exit 1.1858 = +610 pips, profit £270 = 3.8%

So, 8.5% gain risking 0.8% on one trade and 1.5% on the other. Not bad…

Now I am not in anything at the moment, but since it appears to work so well with Forex, I was thinking of expanding this and consider looking into equities, simply because it widens up the potential market. So, next week I’ll spend some time going over all the equities that my broker supports, so see what I can find…

Hey Jedster.

Once again: thanks for the great post. And once again: thanks for “keeping the flag flying”.

Here is an article from TraderPlanet that “backs up” Wilder’s ideas (who knows: maybe the guy has even read “The Adam Theory of Markets” because some of the analogies are quite similar):

TraderPlanet Today

There’s some more very good additional info in the article too (also “priceless”, no pun intended, and not “rocket science”, but sometimes we all need to actually READ something to remind ourselves of what we ALREADY know but sometimes stop implementing for no good reason)!!! LOL!!!

Regards,

Dale.

Hello Jedster,

Just wondering if you are still trading this method and if so, how are you doing. If not why did you stop?

I’m contemplating the method myself.

John

Hey John.

Nah. Knowing him and knowing this method I’d say he’s still in a trade that he opened sometime last year and is sitting on small fortune (and his broker is probably “shi*ting bricks” for the time his TP is hit)!!! LOL!!!

Regards,

Dale.

I like that…makes it sound like I know what I’m doing :51:

Its a good question. I stopped last year for a couple of reasons. Firstly, after the summer holidays and upto around September/October (ish), there weren’t any real good trending trades that I was happy taking - no trains I felt happy to jump on. Then in October I lost around 8% of my account in one day. Not trading this strategy I must say, just classic over positioned myself and then a revenge trade. Its funny, you just can’t stop yourself.

There were other things going on in my personal life at that time as well. My wife says, looking back, I just shouldn’t have been trading during that time. But when you are immersed, you just can’t see it.

Anyway, after my October loss (I think of this like the big crash in October '87 :17: ), I stopped trading live for pretty much the rest of the year. 8% on one day!!! That’s a big chunk so I had to re-evaluate.

This year we have some renewed volatility and it looks like some great trends have/are setup. So, I am hoping to get back into this side of things. I have moved slightly away from trading this as it is classically described in the book. I don’t use any projections or anything like that anymore. A simple look at the chart tells you whether it is going up/down or ranging. A bit like the childs approach that is mentioned at the beginning of the book. That is pretty much all you need to do. Set a wide stop, then leave it for a few weeks/months and let the cash roll in…

I’ll post some trades next week (hopefully, if I take them that is).

Thanks for taking the time to reply,

I too decided that you do not need to do the double reflection as it says in the book as you can visualise the immediate reflection yourself. I am also subscribed to MasterGunner’s thread down in swing trading which has strikingly similar approach to Adam which you may wish to check out.

Either way I would like to continue with both if you wish to concentrate on this thread.

Best wishes.

John

I’ve been looking into Adam a bit. Bought the book a year ago and wrote an EA to do the double reflection and pick trades. The results are interesting. Way it is set up there are a few parameters, like how far outward to run the projection, which recent swing high/low to use as an entry signal etc. The curious thing is that almost whatever parameters I pick it makes money in back testing - often not much, sometimes ok, rarely stellar. Then I looked back and realised that if you scale into winning trades it might get very interesting. So that is my next project for research…

Hey Jedster

been a while since I visited Babypips

let me take a look though this facinating thread
:slight_smile:

Thanks
Neil
(NVP)

how to apply adam theory in the stock market ?

Unfortunately the pdf book doesn’t seem to be there anymore. Would you know of any other site that has it? Or if you have it, could you send it to me?

Karel

Hello.

Here you go:

http://www.traderlounge.co.za/docs/ebooks/tatom.zip

Regards,

Dale.

Thank you very much.

Karel