The finest in trend trading - DEBUNKED

Actually, there is space in a wall. And certain things can penetrate a wall like SOUND! But that’s way off topic, even though I did broach the subject of quantum physics.

Actually, your argument “if trends didn’t exist we wouldn’t be arguing about them” can be extended ABSURDUM to include Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, Big Foot, Unicorns and God. If they didn’t exist we wouldn’t be arguing about them. Based on your logic all 6 exist. Once again, let us be careful to be precise in our use of language.

Let’s look at “trend” from another angle… if trend exists, can you tell me where “trend” exists in the moment and where it will end precisely? If you can’t then how can you use “trend” to profit?

Is the “trend” down? Does that me we should trade short? For how long should we trade short?

Was that your final answer? Or do you want to make that lifeline call now?

Doesn’t the fact that “trend” is discussed as short term, medium term and long term make it suspect? Short is what? How short is short? How long is long? Talk about relativity!

The shaded area is between the 2 day highest high and 2 day lowest low (not including the current day). If price hits one of these lines, it is a break out trade. It will either be a winner or a loser. No one knows in advance. Based on statistics, this trade can be profitable.

There can be no debate( given we use the same data ) on where the lines should be placed. The 2 day highest high and 2 day lowest low are absolute and not relative. They are also time frame independent. This makes them real as opposed to conceptual. Though one can argue time is both conceptual and relative thus making the lines relative, but that’s back to quantum physics and beyond the scope of this thread and forum for that matter.

Is "trend’ really your friend?

Which way should I trade if I want to trade with the trend?

The answer to that question is another question.

How long do you want to be in the trade?

I understand you use daily data, am I right?

And no opinion about it.
Because the 2 day highest high and 2 day lowest low are an expression of price.

Price does not know trend.
Price goes up and down.
No more.

I agree 100% that trend is an arbitary concept, but its still a useful concept nevertheless. Take a bunch of completey random entries and retrospectively assess them against a longer timeframe trend. You’ll probably find that up to 80% of the winning trades where taken in the same direction as the longer term trend, and 80% of the losing trades where against trend. If your smart enough to be able to define the longer term trend in real time (and even the most basic TA will allow you make a reasonable estimate) then if your sensible about trade management and postion sizing, thats a licence to print money without even getting smart about identifying an entry trigger.

Lets also not forget that markets have a tendancy to move further and for longer than simple probability theory suggests (and this happens in nearly any arbitary timeframe that you care to analyse). Its the behaviour of market particpants that lead to this phenomena.

Markets can be predicted at least within a statistical framework and there are basic techniques that can certainly contribute to an edge. Having said that, I do think that your belief that he outcome of a single trade is down to luck is a tremendously useful concept. It is possible that a single market participant placing a trade can result in you experiencing a gain or loss. That particpant may not even be making the trade for speculative reasons.

You’ll probably take a great deal of critisism for suggesting this, but its an extremely useful viewpoint simply because if you choose to accept that reality, it starts to focus attention on whats actually important.

could you use some kind of linear curve fitting formula? Along with some method of determining slope to guage strength of trend?

I keep an open mind. And reading both threads with interest.
And used some curve fitting while studying primes. Got some interesting results while trying to come up with a formula for the Nth prime.

Agree with this completely!

And I don’t think Jaquille is extraction. Completely different personality.

Having a winnning trade isn’t just luck, traders who are consistenlty profitable, like me, take trades they know have a set of probabilities in their favor.

Nothing happens exactly the same, but I can say from first hand experience that when I see x,y & z, with particular set ups, the probability of a good entry and a good trade is worth betting.

Do trades always work out to a winning trade? No, but more often than not, yes, in my case. That is part of trading, finding a method that puts probabilities in your favor. Then find good entrance and take profit points.

No, a trader does not control the market. YES a trader controls what happens after entrance. Not the market price movement, obviously, but how the trade is managed. Do, you hold on to a trade for a few weeks because a larger trend is on and you have a good entrance? Do you get get scared and get faked out early because of retrace and take less profit? So, what happens after your entrance is not out of your control.

For instance if I enter a trade thinking it’s a good entry and price reacts badly after entrace, then I may exit or move my SL to breakeven if I’m in profit. I know because of the way I enter it’s probable price will move in my favor quickly, if it doesn’t then I will re evaluate and maybe even exit if I come to the conclusion my guess where the market was going to go, from that point, was wrong.

You set your stop, and you decide where is the best place to take profit if you are winning.

And again, if trend trading is a myth and you have a better way to trade then please share it and make a real point.

[B]No One[/B] and I mean [B]No One[/B] can predict markets.

No statistical framework can change that.
What they can do is gauge probability & risk.
But that’s different.

This is one of the most difficult aspects of trading to accept.
Especially for new people & for people who conceptualize & intellectualize trading in their little compartments.

Trading can be as simple & as difficult you choose to make it.

You’ll probably take a great deal of critisism for suggesting this, [B]but its an extremely useful viewpoint[/B] simply because if you choose to accept that reality, it starts to [B]focus attention on whats actually important[/B].

I concur. It is long overdue.

Trends aside for a moment. You guys have seen my daily hi lo thread where I am only looking at the high and low of the previous daily candle. But you have mentioned using the two day high and low. Is there an advantage to a two day verses a one day high low?

This is not my original thought. I found it while studying.

To calculate the high and low of the day, time frame doesn’t matter because the answer will (should) always be the same.

Statements of fact.

You are using a daily timeframe wether you use the timeframe concept or not.

Luck is defined as getting a favorable outcome when you have NO CONTROL over the outcome.

Yes, you can have the statistics in your favor when you enter a trade but that does not mean the next [B]N[/B] trades will not go against you. You enter based on statistics but favorable outcomes are due to luck.

This does not imply that coin flipping is as good as using statistics that are in your favor. On the contrary, it implies you should use statistics that are in your favor because favorable outcomes are based on luck. That is how you put luck on your side.