The finest in trend trading

Dodge,

I agree with didilut on that second one. The candles are clearly in a bubble. This is the area that was considered NO TRADE. It can be traded, but much more care and closer evaluation should be done.

That first one didilut points out is the start of a BB walk. You can also see that the upper BB is not really curved down and the mid BB is. This leads to believe that it will probably stay headed down.

These are two areas to really be careful in; I have not. And I got burned. :eek:

demo only though. :smiley:

The USD/JPY pair has been so choppy lately I havenā€™t traded it for over a month. Iā€™ve mostly been trading EU EJ AU AJ GU and GJ, mostly from 1H and 4H CBLā€™s.

I think selecting good trending pairs is important to maximize profits. I usually make those selections by visual inspection of price action and use of trendlines and a combination of indicators. I believe that if we pre-filter which pairs to trade according to some rule that tends to detect the best trending pairs, we can get more consistent results.

I believe your backtesting result shows the importance of selecting a pair that is trending well to trade. That conclusion may seem obvious, but finding a method to use to pre-filter for well trending pairs isnā€™t so obvious.

ADX is generally considered a good indicator of the strength of a trend, but it would take some backtesting to see if it really offers any improvement in pair selection.

I agree, my results for USDJPY werenā€™t great either.

Good point Didier. Simply not trading against the direction of the Mid BB 20SMA line might eliminate these problems. I like simple :slight_smile:

I am just observing these results by [B]DodgeV83 [/B]without commenting just now.

I have always maintained that the DNA method is a stand alone method but [B]Graviton [/B]adds undeniable evidence that going with a consistent main trend improves results.

I am still looking at a tactic to stop the wipe outs when reaching for TP2. :slight_smile:

Good to see that you are still here!!

Thank you Hordane.
You have been very kind to me!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I shall persist cautiously and introduce the MACRO method in a couple of days.
I shall take it slowly, even though it is very simple. :wink:

If you implemented this as a rule then you would never trade outside a squeeze area which may not be a bad idea itself. Otherwise once the squeeze is over any trade would have to be against the mid BB.

However, Dodge is using the old rules for trading outside a B, I wonder how the results would be if the new rules were implemented for TP1 and TP2.

John Bollinger himself says in his book, "Bollinger on Bollinger Bands, on page 67, that strong trends are often born in squeezes.

This can also be seen with the GMMA indicator posted on a chart.

This suggests that what you say is correct. :slight_smile:

Hello all. I have been lurking around on this thread for a while now and have read it through twice. To give you a little background on myself, I also am a schoolteacher, Iā€™ve never used a slide ruler :), and Iā€™ve been trading forex for a few years now. Iā€™m one of those traders that has had mixed results over the years, and sometimes it feels a little too much like gambling to me, especially when Iā€™m not making consistent gains. This summer, however, I have decided to learn how to do this right and I appreciate the simplicity of Tymenā€™s system. OK, so thereā€™s the skinny on me, now Iā€™ll get down to business, and why Iā€™m posting. I have no problem finding a good CBL when looking at old charts, but do seem to have a problem finding them in realtime. I have to be honest, I donā€™t feel like I fully understand why Iā€™m setting my CBL where Iā€™m setting it in realtime. Iā€™m looking only for bubbles at the moment, am looking for the bbā€™s to turn in, and generally I seem to be getting it right, but I feel like Iā€™m missing something. Let me illustrate with a chart:)

This is a 60min eur/usd chart.
OK, let me start with the big green up arrow on this chart. I really, really, really, WANTED to use that extreme candle down and set a cbl, but at the time the bbā€™s looked like they were sausaging to me and I didnā€™t see a good way to set a cbl. I didnā€™t like the looks of it in realtime, but, I would have been very right. Oh well, no big deal. Iā€™ll get the next one.

I waited and waited and finally the bands seemed to be forming a bubble shortly after the extreme candle I marked with the yellow star. I set my cbl by dissecting the previous candle in half, which Iā€™m not even sure was right to do, even though Iā€™ve read the rules for setting cblā€™s over and over, and waited some more. So a couple of hours later my cbl was hit, the bands had formed my bubble and I triggered a short at 1.2247. I hit tp1 within a couple of hours and set a stop. It gradually marched to tp2 where I collected a nice gain at 1.2178.

That was my first realtime execution, and Iā€™d say it worked out pretty well. That being said, after I triggered that trade I again, really, really, really, REALLY, wanted to go long. Once again, though, it looked like a sausage to me, didnā€™t look very bubblicious, and I couldnā€™t see a good way to draw a cbl, so I stayed out. Once again, however, I missed a big long walk.

So, here are my questions. Admittedly I donā€™t think I fully understand how to figure my cblā€™s, especially in the two situations here where it went for a walk. Does this method allow me to hit those walks and I just donā€™t understand? Have we learned to trade walks like that and I forgot? Was I correct in setting my cbl where I set it when I did? I oftentimes am reading this late at night and its possible I miss/forget things. Like Iā€™ve said before, Iā€™ve read this thread through twice, and I like the lesson format, but once Iā€™ve read it its a little disjointed sometimes to go back through and try to learn again. Iā€™ve always been good at learning from the textbook!:slight_smile:

So after all of that, those were my questions. I really appreciate everyoneā€™s hard work on here and may I suggest continuing watching this chart b/c it looks like this last walk is coming to an end and could produce a trade within a few hours. It could start walking again too! Who knows! Thanks again and Iā€™ll be around here more often now that school is outā€¦

Notes:

Of the 13 trades I posted over the 2 months time:

Only 4 did not have the mid BB against me at the point of entry. Of those 4:

2 of them hit mid BB then went to break even.

1 immediately hit StopLoss.
1 went to TP2.

Eye-balling those trades tells me I would be close to break even overall for the two months had I only taken these 4 trades.

The Finest in Trend Trading - Tymen example 4

Live trade on the 3 minute chart.

I cannot get the link to work - any one else getting the same problem??

video link seems to work ok for meā€¦

but i havent been able to log into the chatroom all day, is it down at the moment?

Hereā€™s a link to tymenā€™s 6/15 class. Tymen Class 6-15 on Vimeo

I backtested EUR/USD for the month of May and all I got to show for it was this lousy +10.7%

; )

Timeframe: 4HR
Risk: 2% per trade

Trade 1:

Trade 2:

Trade 3:

Trade 4:

Results:

I watched Tymenā€™s video, thanks for the link, and found it to really help tie things together for me. It seems that I have a better grasp of what is going on than I thought.:slight_smile: Iā€™m currently short on the Eur/USD. I got in earlier today and since Iā€™m trading super small I let it ride. I got caught up in playing outside with the kids and when I came in I had missed my profit. Since I hadnā€™t watched that video yet I hadnā€™t changed the settings on my bbā€™s at all to automatically take profit, so my take profit line was still tp1. It wasnā€™t too big of a deal, though, as it is now plunging with a couple of gigantic red candles and has busted all the way through tp2! I was looking for a retracement in it, anyway, after the last few days. Anyway, its 3 in the morning here folks so I gotta call it a day. Thanks again for the video, I learned a ton.

still cant log into the chatroom today, tried on two different pcā€™s now?!

anybody else having problems?