The MACD Contrarian. A medium term position trading system for the EURUSD

I am a total newbie, I find this system very interesting. However I feel like something isn’t clicking, could someone give a basic run down of the system again please. I have already through all the posts.

thanks in advance

I dont see what else can be explained. It is a simple mechanical system which I have gone through step by step. In addition there are many trade examples to illustrate the set up and trigger

Hi Tony

Just came across this thread, thanks for sharing with us a simple yet effective strategy.

Are you still trading this strategy? I would like to try it out, and refer to post # 178, that shd be your latest entry, which is a long and is a winning trade.

So now, you are waiting for next signal for entry rite?

hi maxximuz,

referring to the system, i am waiting for the next cross below zero to be then waiting for a long trade.

correct guys. waiting for the next cross to make an entry. They average 2 to 3 per month. Easy approach given how little screen time it takes. Yes I do trade it but with a small proportion of my account

tonymand,

since i like your trading style, would you mind to share other (not too short term) approaches on trading, you prefer or monitor?

I am sorry for the offtopic, but i can’t find an option to pm you.

best regards

Hi Hurtzi - its the only longer term option that I am into. Most of my trading comes from the shorter timeframes based around the concepts in the alternative technical templates thread and its follow up. I also monitor but do not trade the Cowabunga. When I have tried to apply the price action templates above the 15min action frame I come unstuck for reasons still not clear to me. Others state, and I believe quite honestly, that the longer timeframes are easier with fewer fakeouts. My average trade is over within the day

Hi hurtzi,

Ok good :slight_smile: I am in sync with you all now. Let wait for the next crossing down for a long trade

My chart does not have an OsMA indicator. If I set my MACD to the same settings as you have for the OsMA will that work too?

Check out post # 117

Using MT4 charts i put the MACD (9,64,112) Histo and the OsMA (9,64,112) and the OsMA showed more winning signals then the MACD but the MACD looks like it would have kept me out of a couple losers the OsMA produced. Are you still using the OsMA?

like maxximuz said (not too long ago), please look at post # 117. there you will find a “better” version of the macd indicator and an answer to your question.

Ok, just installed that one on the chart now. Has anyone came up with a way to alert when there is a crossover of the signal line? Also i would like to now how to get sent an e-mail alert with a Yahoo account.

Looks like the cross of 0 line is gonna happen soon unless we get a good sized rally to close out the US session

Hi Tonymand & all others, excellent thread & a great system, I am quite excited about trying this one out, I have struggled with some other systems based on shorter time frames due to not having the free time to sit in front of the screen & manage my trades efficiently, but this strategy eliminates almost all of that with a very respectable return. Tonymand i have read many of your posts here on babypips and you are clearly a well respected member, which of course adds integrity to ths system. Of course i am not expecting instant results here. probably more likely to get a few losing trades before a win but if the return remains as it has done for the last few years then i am more than happy to let this one sit in the background while i continue to hone my skills on other more demanding strategies. Thanks & well done.
Just one question though, I read in one of the earlier posts that any signals given on a sunday night should probably be ignored. Is this still the case? as we are currently waiting for a long entry signal which will probably occour tonight (sunday night GMT).
Thanks

actually i am going to attempt to answer my own question here. just looking at the charts i would guess that fridays closing candle should be ignored as it only contains about 45 mins of data. therefore do we use the previous candle for entry. or maybe we should as mentioned ignore any signals created by sundays opening candle. would be gratefull for any answers
thanks

I asked tony a similar question in post 165, answered in post 167. Sounded to me like tony [B]would[/B] take the trade and consider it a valid signal. Not positive though, maybe he will wiegh in soon.

Sounds dangerous to me but this system produces such rare signals that I think we have to take whatever ones we get.

Guess it does not make much difference now. Waiting for a turn around.

It depends on your platform. For me there is an incomplete sunday candle so this would generally be ignored. Didnt cause any issues today as that high was not broken although we are now long
With regards to the other comments. Yes this is an easy system with a good return and practically no work. Its achilles heal is the drawdown evident when it went 17 trades without a win. Remember it may at some point in the future do worse than this so you need to factor this in when deciding how much to risk per trade. Its second problem is that psychologically few people can manage a system that only wins about 1 trade in 3

Moved stop to BE and riding it up