The MACD Contrarian. A medium term position trading system for the EURUSD

Hi Tony,

I misunderstood the system.

Will we enter a new short on the break of the low of a previous candle?

I “thought” we were sidelined until the MACD crossed zero again.

Thank you

If the MACD crosses above 0 while still in a short a further short position is taken. Crosses below zero are ignored. This has happened and trade now entered (this could be that different MACD thing again Bill)

That’s what it is.
I’m using Lindsay’s 4H indicator. It hasn’t came close to crossing back down. I just threw the OSMA on the chart and it looks like yours.
I think it’s a coin toss which one is used.
What do you think?

Thanks for the reply.

Hi Bill. Since the backtest was done on Lyndsays indicator and you have it I would stick to that. For the public thread I have no choice but to report a standard available indicator as I cant make the indicator available as its not mine. I suspect in the long run there will be little difference but as always time will tell. I repeated some of the backtest with the OsMA and believe this will be OK and that is also what I am trading in order to be consistent with the thread. The live results to date are based on OsMA

I’ll do it then.

PS- You can easily reproduce Lindsey’s indicator with a standard MACD, if you want to.

Not the default MT4 MACD, but one with the MACD line, the signal line and the histogram. I’ll post one here.
Set it to 9, 64, 112. Color the two lines “none”, leave the histogram, and you’ve got it- the exact same thing as Lindsey’s.

OOPS- It won’t let me post an indicator. You may already have one like I’m talking about. There are plenty of them around the web.

OK thanks Bill, I will try that on Netdania charts, also good info for others should this version for some reason underperform

Just to keep the thread updated. The losing run continues. Always a problem with system trading which is why you must have sufficiently robust back data to keep the faith. The maximum historical losing run for the system is 17 trades so we are well inside that

Thanks for the updates tony, I like keeping tabs on this one.

Entry short at 31

Hi Tony,

I took a long on this (your) system last night. So far, it’s been up +150 pips.

It’s set to BE.

Thanks again for the system.

BTW- May I contact you by email?

Hi Bill, yes I am long and its close. Could be the first win since early November and long overdue! You need 4 more posts then you can PM me, dont like to give my email out on a public forum

4…
That should do it.

Waiting for the PM Bill!!

Glad to see that we have broken the losing streak and had our first win since early November although the break even trade got close. Again if you doubt the power of this ask any S&P 500 investor whether they would swap their last 4 years returns (which are dwindling fast!) for those of this method. I have updated the log and at 24% would hope for a couple more winning trades before the end of the year in May to give us something in the mid 30’s. Well we will see anyway!

Those 4 didn’t do it.
It appears that if I post after hitting the “quote” button, it doesn’t count toward the tally.
I’ll try this one and another one.

Further back in the thread BillB and I discussed which is the ‘correct’ MACD to follow. I did the original tests with a proprietary indicator and then later used the OsMA as the nearest thing I could get to that indicator. As we discussed at the time you would expect it to make little difference. BillB has posted a corrected MACD and a template for this method on another forum and I thought it worth posting here (thanks Bill). Taking this years results there is a slight but important difference using the MACD over the OsMA which gives a year to date return of 30% instead of the 24% currently reported. This is worth keeping an eye on as if these differences are predictable over time then it will be worth switching to this version

4HMACD.zip (1.01 KB)

4hcontrarian.zip (616 Bytes)

Tony,
I’m chasing a long position, as I’m sure you are.

Do you think it’s wise to enter a position with a 3 day weekend starting tomorrow?

Thanks

For the log I will record as if entered but I have held off in reality

Hi Tonymand, do you have an updated performance sheet to hand?..i see we’re looking for longs again now from today’s action so far.

Correct Cowaboi the long is on