The Sex of Trading

One thing about men and our inflated sense of ego is that we often like to interrupt women when in conversation, as though we felt more entitled to express our opinions: given how much of this goes on in forums (where often people who do the interrupting/overtalking have very little more than there mere opinions to offer) and in talkshows as well as in all areas of public discourse, you begin to wonder why so many intelligent men just cannot help themselves interrupting women during interviews, discussions, debates, and even high court cases, as this article exemplifies:

1 Like

Very interesting article. I really enjoy knowing about those less known facts.

Although I recall my ex interrupting me constantly. She also kept glued to her phone, always sending sms and/or answering and making calls constantly, even during dinner time. I guess that is why I try to use my phone as little as possible…Ideally I would get rid of the damn thing :slight_smile:

Hope I wasn’t interrupting anyone in the forum…I have been posting so much lately that I might be becoming addicted…

1 Like

You said somewhere that you are from “Europe” well PMH and I are both “UK” & “MrDE” lives in Frankfurt - so seems we all are.

That beingthe case, I would have thought whenever anyone quotes teh “Guardian” at you, you woud realise instantly you are dealing with “leftists”

Incidentally I had heard of that defamatory Guardian Post but never actually seen it before.

However - I shall just post a quicky in Response !

Incidentally that Avatar of yours reminded me instanty of an old song !

Er two actually ! and one of those was critical !

I didn’t post it for you ! - It was necessary to reply to that defamatory post submitted by others, for the benefit of the casual reader, who may have taken the Guardianista post as accurate.

You posted it on the thread I initiated, against my will.
Please stop.

Sorry, I know you’re new, but once we initiate a thread, we are not able to censor the posts - the thread becomes “Community property” (Someimes we might wish we could - but we can’t :rofl: )

Super interesting read! :blush: Thanks for that. :smiley: Haha. I’m not a successful trader yet (and I’ve been on demo for forever :sweat_smile:) but I kinda understand what some parts of the article was trying to say. :smiley: Haha. I also used to think that only men could be successful in this field cause, well, it’s male-dominated. :sweat_smile: But I agree that for a woman to still get into forex despite how daunting it could be, she must really want it and will really work her way to become good at it. :smiley:

2 Likes

@ria_rose There is a big difference between private retail female traders and institutional female traders: the first do not have work cultures to have to deal with, being in charge of their own trading/investment goals.

However, even then there are barriers: a lot of women around the world are not in charge of their money because it is the man/men in the family who manage financial decisions. In places where women can manage their own money, they also face another barrier, which is what we talked about, namely their dislike for risk-taking /gambling, preferring to give trading/investing their own money a wide berth.

There are also class issues: wealthier women go to asset/wealth management firms and get them to grow/secure their capital; poorer women have less disposable capital and less investment choices.

1 Like

Thank you very much, I thought so as well. Very glad you enjoyed it :slight_smile:

See? That proves the point of the article: A male would probably have rushed into the real thing and would have lost a lot of money already. You are smarter than that :slight_smile:

Apparently it is not. It is female dominated, but the problem is that nobody knows :slight_smile:

Agreed. It makes a lot of sense, doesn’t it?

1 Like

Interesting thread. Too bad some absue it as a tool to ramm their mideval worldviews and political agenda up the throats of others.

But its the internet, i guess, it gives voices to people who usually absolutely nobody listens to and even enables them to say whatever they want with the protection of anonymity, what they would never dare to say in real life.

3 Likes

Thank you MrDE,

EXACTLY. Totally agree with you.

I very politely asked him to stop posting his videos of borderline nazi propaganda on my thread and he kept at it and even bragged how I could not remove his posts so I flagged them. 5 minutes after, they were all gone. That was yesterday. Today, most of them are back, so I guess he reposted them. I just contacted the mods. Let’s see what happens…

A much better use of his time would be to improve his trading skills or even to post something that might actually be useful for someone on this forum.

3 Likes

Thats never going to happen.

I have observed that elder brittish people have issues in identifying nazi-style propaganda in online medias. He doesnt really understand what hes posting. Thats ever since like that.

He has learned to get away with his propaganda without braking forum rules, so the mods cant do much. The best way to get rid of him is by completely ignoring him, not answering, as if he doesnt exist. Then he will go away.

2 Likes

I suspect the same, but I wanted to contact the mods anyway. At least I did try to do something about it.

From now on I will just ignore him.

It totally beats me how someone can come to the same forum for years with the only purpose of annoying other users. I am sure this attitude makes him extremely popular.

2 Likes

Anyways back to the topic.

I can tell you my observation on my own kids made.

I have a girl 6 and a boy 3 (and a boy 1 but he isnt observable yet in those categories).

I see a big difference in behaviour which could hint into “likelyhood of sucess in trading”

We have specifit rules in trading that are universal and always must be obeyed.

1. Never go against the trend
  2. Never try to be lucky
  3. Never listen to tips/hints on what to buy/sell
  4. Patience
  5. Learn
  6. The market is always right

I have observed by life examples on the boy and the girl behavioural patterns which could hint to the girl outperforming the boy in “trading”.

Just an example, the boy is way more riskier, he runs away 50-100 meters from us, also towards streets. Something the girl never did and isnt today even thou she is older. As well the girl listens better to authority, when you tell her she must not do “xy” and explain her why, she will walk around and brabble “i must not do that cause daddy said this and that”.

This especially reflects in rule number 1, going countertrend is more likely to occur with boys than girls.

This “rule obeying” by respecting authority puts the girl in an advantage in rules number 1,2,4 and 6. As those “skills” are transmitted by authority, not by learning by doing.

Rules 1,2,3 and 6 are very easy rules, which you hear once and know them by hard forever. But the tendency in the boy to ignore fixed rules (me included as a mid 35yrs old kid) puts him at a disadvantage in operating the markets. The tendency of the girl respecting authority that gives the rules (in this case the market can be seen as the rule-giving authority, especially considerin rule 6) gives her an advantage in the way of that she does not must feel the bad consequences of braking those rules in order to learn them.

Of course not every boy or girl are of same character. But i have witnessed my kids differences on the kids of my brothers as well. Some charackteristics are more likely to occure in girls, and others are more likely to occure in boys.

It is a similar observation which i made on male and female emplyees in my company.

Therefore i would support the idea that “woman are more likely to be sucessfull trader than men” when it comes to a technical only approach to the markets.

Rules 4 and 5 would put boys in an advantage,but those 2 rules are useless as long as you ignore the other rules. As in my opinion you can make money in thw market as long as you obey rules 1,2,3 and 6 without obeying to 4 and 5. But you can not make money by ignoring 1,2,3 and 6 even if you are a master in 4 and 5.

2 Likes

GREAT RULES. I need to work a lot on rule 2 and rule 4. Also on rule 5, but that’s why I am here. I am finishing the course in the next days, plus I already have other few learning resources I want to check.

I am writing down your rules, and I will start the day by reading them. That should improve my (bad) discipline a lot!

I guess I am only really good at rule 3, as I am a rather independent thinker. Only one rule out of six is not a great score. Your daughter beats me for sure!

You seem to have very nice kids. Congrats.

If one begins looking for those patterns, actually they seem to be much more present in girls than in boys, so this theory that women traders outperform men traders actually makes a lot of sense.

We all have trouble with that, to some extent. Girls don’t seem to have those issues. Clear advantage for trading and a lot of other activities…

It actually makes a lot of sense when we think about it, doesn’t it?

Thanks a lot for your input. REALLY VALUABLE info. I am sure this will help boosting the confidence of new starting women traders.

If this thread should achieve only that, it would already be something worthwhile :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl:

I guess “the casual reader” will be going looking through the vids posted on this thread now to identify them and see in what way they are “borderline nazi” - or even how facts can be called “Propaganda” - Perhaps they may even come back and ask you to explain your prejudices ?

According to the lads here, you’re already the next Billionaire.

Congrats!!!

3 Likes

He!He! Nice having a next Billionaire on the thread :slight_smile:

1 Like

Beeing billionaire is better than people think.

I guess. No experience in that yet :disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

Anyways. No i dont have a trading firm, as you asked few posts before @UpFromZero

But if i had one, or about to be opening one, id certainly focus more on female employment.

There is just problem. In maths and finance degree universities the ratio is 9 men on 1 woman.

Which leads us to the question at hand, is financials and trading too boring for woman?

When you look at hobbies, miniature trains building is a pretty boring hobby and only made by men. In financials it seens similar, a very boring job/topic/hobby and almost no woman interested in it.

2 Likes