The VIPER Couch

Hey R, if I take on a new client, the first thing they want to see is a prospectus, no one comes in and says “Hey VIPER here is 250k I trust you can trade, I don’t need no stinking prospectus”!

But in Guru world, no proof needed, only “Testimonials”, and IF someone asks for proof, they say, “Hey I don’t have to prove anything to you, or anyone else”. Which is ok if it is free, but once they start charging, people are so attached to the “Dream” and the Personality, they go along without questioning.

Also don’t get me started with the sock puppets, and the fake “Testimonials” etc. I don’t mind someone trying to make a buck, and doing it in a basically unregulated environment, but when they start with the “Smelly Socks”, and mysterious floating fibbo, well it gets to be too much.

We had a long term trader posting here for a while, and as it does, the market shifted leaving this person not looking so good. His “system” worked in a heavy trend, but with out that he was chopped to pieces. The inability to adjust and adapt is one of the greatest shortcomings of all traders, what worked last month, may not work next month. Also this person was kind of guru esque, so he dragged some with him, it’s too bad to, if he would have just either stayed out or adjusted, he would have been a real Wiener.

The Ever Observing VIPER

3 Likes

all very wise words indeed! AND know that when a dog gets some smelly socks he smiles! just not so you can see!

I had to share all data from several trading accounts before I got my first 250K live funded account :wink:
and here is something else, when you trade someone elses $, read the contract very carefully! as mine says that if I violate the risk rules set by the fund owner, intentionally or deliberately then they expect me to pay them back for all losses of their monies! no troubles I always remain 100% responsible and accountable for my trades.

There is no system! you need a large collection of trading tools and skills and be able to adapt on the flying to rapidly changing HIGHLY violent markets. Trading is 89% psychology is the sad fact and as you say, if you brain aint right dont trade! because we all know that traing in a messy mental state results in much higher risk!

I guess a guru really has to be both! a great trader and a great teacher. We still tease Mikey on twitter, I dunno why, I guess its fun! because he is so holy! Mikey would have you to believe he can trade live in his demo account, and teach you to trade in your live account, while he trades demo! the jury is still out on this!

Demo trading and live trading while mechanically the same, are two totally different animals! one is a cat and the other is a dog!

1 Like

Bro, hope I’m not being rude, but if I had access to this sort of funds I don’t think I would be using mt4/5. Why, do you feel, does this platform perform?

Hey _bob, good question, I never understood the mt whatever allure, I know you can do some Quant and Robo trading, but OANDA has an agreement with Quant Connect that is Python based, and most of the better brokers in the US have APIs that are Python compatible, and for volume you get good discounts, I don’t know how many brokers have volume rebates for MT accounts, Hey RR any specific reason for sticking with MT?

Also I have embarked on the adventure of learning Python, and at 60, it is a challenge, but since my Chinese IT guy decided to embark on a new life venture a few years ago, it left me bereft of an auto dealio that would work with current conditions. It takes me quite some time to trust somebody so replacing him, well, may never be feasible.

The Ever A Little Snake In A Yuuuuuuuuuge Forest VIPER

3 Likes

Well none of the live accounts I traded for someone else were ever us based.
Oanda would be the last place I would ever trade live, I still have a demo account there to remind me of their inherent sillyness. I guess I have been trading a long time and learned mt4 ages ago, yeah it has its issues, but almost never crashes. mt5 is way better, as its multithreaded, but even thats still awkward for me. Things about mt5 though, the DOM is way better, you can see the spread and place trades inside it! and nothing excites me more than placing inside bid quotes & inside ask quotes as if I was the LP. It’s also quite nice to see the vol of orders pending in the DOM, so that allows you to see some walls (but I already know where they all are :P). As to the rebates, they would be great, the account holder is probably getting them.

As to why I dont take my 30% commissions and trade my own accounts thats another matter, altogether.

What do you need in the line of Chinese coder? I may be able to hook you up.

Mr Market
		                    or
                        What Does A Corvette Have To Do With Trading 

Wayyyy back in 1978, I had a job at an independant auto repair shop. There was a weird customer that owned a Corvette, we will call him Corvette Guy, or CG for short. His car was about a 1969, and was no award winner by any means, he put a midrange paint job on it, eventually showed up at the shop to show us the new Targa Top he had put on, talk about cheesy, but he though he was a chick magnet in the car, actually more like maggot, but that’s another story. Anywho he jumps back in his whip, and goes to start it, and it turns but does not fire, Mike W. knows what I mean, he tries again, and gets a backfire, he tries one more time, pumping the gas pedal like a madman, and cursing. Finally he stops trying to crank it and starts pounding the steering wheel shouting, "I treaded you like a Brother, you
____________________________, every time you let me down, I even bought you a targa band and this is how you do you me _________________________________. So the boss come out, and then CG starts in with him, but not how you think, he gets out of the car, slams the door and says, can you believe this piece of ________________ I paid $800 two weeks ago for new brakes, I gave it a Targa band, I treat it like a brother and this is what it does to me, then he kicks it. The boss finally calmed him down, he left the car and we fixed it.

Then there was our next door neighbor. This is also years ago. She had some potted plants, and the dog kept digging in them, so one day I hear some screaming, man I thought someone was being killed, but no it was my neighbor screaming at the top of her lungs, to the dog, “Please can you just leave me one plant, please, just this one, please for the love of ___, all I want is one plant for me”. Well I didn’t say anything but I know that dogs don’t smile, so he did not understand a word she said. I guess that’s why some Atheists have a “In Dog I Trust” on a bumper sticker.

Soooo, many years later I got compt to a “TradeAlong” with a famous Guru. He had a few of guest speakers, I was really looking forward to hearing what the “Trading Psychologists” had to say. Now understand these were famous people, well known, even till today you can see their names bandied about.

So the big moment arrives, and the first TPsy gets up there and says, with a straight face, “Are you going to let Mr Market take your money from you today?” when no answer was forthcoming, she asked “well are you” most spoke up with a half hearted “no”. Frankly I had to put my head down and cover my mouth, I was laughing so hard. So I listen to a half hour of the worst load of drivel I have heard up till that time. About how the market is out to take your money, and how you have to fight it, on it went, and when we were finished, well mercifully, we were finished.

Believe it or not, the TPsy reminded me of the CG, and My Next Door Neighbor, both shouting and screaming at something that does not understand, and is even an inanimate object. This is called Anthropomorphism : an interpretation of what is not human or personal in terms of human or personal characteristics:, yeah I know all of us Dog lovers think that Tristan and Arminius our two Dobies smile at us, but they don’t. I know about the “Satanic Car” that hates us because stuff keeps breaking on it, but really it is just a piece of junk. I also know about the repeated entries, Ahem, cough, cough, that keep loosing because my broker is out to get me and so is Draghi, but you are just entering the wrong direction because you have a directional bias and you are too proud to adapt.

A famous Guru by the name of I Can’t Trade used to play this stupid card all the time. “The Smart Money” is after you, the “BIG” players know where your stops are, “The Institutional Levels” are there to take your money away from you, etc. By the time you get done with this nonsense you end up thinking that your Broker is hiding under your bed with the dust bunnies, and George Soros is hiding in your closet, shaking the loose change out of your pants and going through your couch crevices finding your lost millions.

Think about this. If you see the market as an entity, and YOU place a negative trade who do you blame, the market of course, but you also feel guilt for giving the bully your lunch money, then this bully gets even more terrible, and you end up finding a guru to protect you. We can see how quickly we shift from trading into survival mode, and of course I Can’t Trade, and his ilk try to convince people they need a group, a family to protect them from this bully, it is a perfect circle of dependence, the individual is taught that the Bully is out to get them, so they pay I Can’t Trade to protect them, all the while the Guru is charging to reinforce the fears of his followers, what a gig. It is clear that the anger is never addressed, and by making the market a living being, it becomes the target for the traders anger, making the situation even worse, what these gurus realize is that it does not help to blame the market, but it does help make traders dependent.

So how to avoid this trap, it is simple, the market does not care about you. It’s like a chainsaw, I love my Stihl by the way, you start it, it could care less what you put in front of it, a big Maple log you are cutting a LongRifle stock out of, or trimming some boxwoods, or your left leg, if you put it out there it will cut it. Or a Oster blender, you know the one with the heavy glass container, put 20 really hot Jalapenos, couple of onions, 4 tomatillos, a little salt, and finally 8 home grown Chile Cascabels, turn it on and in a few minutes, Salsa De Macho, of course if the Jalapenos don’t go all the way down, and you use your fingers to push them down, well the blender doesn’t care, it will make finger salsa just as well.

This is the point, no matter what anyone says, the market just does not care about you, win, lose, breakeven, “it” is not even aware that you exist, because “it” does not exist at a conscious level, a market just is. The moment we attribute a malevolence or benevolence to an inanimate object, the mental battle is lost, why? Because it is irrational thinking, it makes no sense at all. So how can someone make logical/rational decisions if they are already irrational.

So stop engaging in Anthropomorphism in your daily life, cept for dogs, I’ll give you that, but everything else, stop it, especially the markets, remember they just are, and your broker is not hiding under your bed.

The Ever Seeing It As It Is VIPER

7 Likes

I beg to differ. There are mostly two types of movements Up or Down. Sideways in lower TFs is also up or Down at least during London or NY sessions. It is only on rare occasions like good friday when mkt is sideways even on 5M.

I think you’re splitting hairs with the quantity of each market type as delineated by the word “mostly” which actually means"not just"

A sideways market on a daily chart would simply have a larger ATR than a trending market, up or down, on a much lower time frame.

in other words you may find an up and down trend on a much lower time frame within sideways market on a daily chart. Range bound.

KC

wow writing that educates many people. I support your writing and I wait for the next article.

I like your honesty. And you know what? You have something other people don’t have… you have to constantly check your state, be aware… ensure growth, not sliding back… but they’re so many “normal “ people out there, me including, who would HUGELY BENEFIT FROM YOUR DISCIPLINE. Can I ask you a favour? Would you teach me, help me… I need more discipline

TradeViper’s last post was 10 months ago, but every thing is still the same. Market is still out there. The ‘gurus’ is still out there. The true words, will be for ever.

Old mate @TradeViper hope all is going well my friend. Is Mrs Viper well?

Burnt myself out a couple of years ago and have been more family focus. But I’m back raising hell once again. Its a very very strange sterile place now.

Just had to to bump this thread, hope the peeps get some value out of it. Little do they know the true wisdom hidden here.

He has a lot to say and I give credit where credit is due @TradeViper writes very well.

I might add that the Viper and I are of a similar vintage.

If I didn’t know better I would say you have a man crush on the viper.

Nevertheless I always struggle with those who promote negativity towards the subject at hand.
The world maybe a crazy place full of numphties but that is no reason to view everything in a negative pessimist way. Traders will do whatever they want to do and if they get burnt well that is their problem.

Blackduck

I would :wink: :grin:

This is a very good point. It is possible to know many important things from this post.

Yes, you are right I agree with you.

Be truthful, how many here have felt and are still feeling negative psychological effects from the “pandemic”

The Never Caught The Rona VIPER

Wife has a cold - just minutes back I suggested a covid test.

She laughed at me, I laughed at myself - bad times are over.

TradeViper’s insights highlight the importance of self-awareness in trading. stonecoldmichael’s story emphasizes adapting one’s approach to personal strengths and weaknesses. These narratives underscore that trading success involves understanding both strategies and the human psyche.