Top vaccine doctor says his concern about Trump’s coronavirus treatment theory led to ouster from federal agency

Truth-teller or just someone who wasn’t happy about being moved?

Top vaccine doctor says his concern about Trump’s coronavirus treatment theory led to ouster from federal agency

• A doctor who was removed as head of the federal agency that is helping develop a vaccine for the coronavirus said he was ousted he called for resistance to widespread adoption of a drug promoted by President Donald Trump as a treatment for Covid-19.
  • Dr. Rick Bright also said that he believed he was removed from his post because he insisted that “the billions of dollars allocated by Congress to address the Covid-19 pandemic” be put toward “safe and scientifically vetted solutions, and not in drugs, vaccines and other technologies that lack scientific merit.”

A doctor who was removed as head of the federal agency that is helping develop a vaccine for the coronavirus said he was ousted because he called for resistance to widespread adoption of a drug promoted by President Donald Trump as a treatment for Covid-19.

Dr. Rick Bright also said that he believed he was removed from his post because he insisted that “the billions of dollars allocated by Congress to address the Covid-19 pandemic” be invested “into safe and scientifically vetted solutions, and not in drugs, vaccines and other technologies that lack scientific merit.

“I am speaking out because to combat this deadly virus, science — not politics or cronyism — has to lead the way,” Bright said in a statement, which was first reported by The New York Times.

“Rushing blindly towards unproven drugs can be disastrous and result in countless more deaths. Science, in service to the health and safety of the American people, must always trump politics.”

The White House declined to comment. The Department of Health and Human Services did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Bright was removed Tuesday as director the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority, which is a division of the U.S. Health and Human Services Department.

He was given a job with less responsibilities at the National Institutes of Health.

“Sidelining me in the middle of this pandemic and placing politics and cronyism ahead of science puts lives at risk and stunts national efforts to safely and effectively address this urgent public health crisis,” Bright wrote in his statement.

He said that he will ask HHS’s inspector general, an internal ethics watchdog, to “investigate the manner in which this administration has politicized the work of BARDA and has pressured me and other conscientious scientists to fund companies with political connections and efforts that lack scientific merit.”

Bright’s attorneys, Debra Katz and Lisa Banks , said in a prepared statement that “the Administration’s removal of Dr. Bright from his position as director of BARDA is retaliation plain and simple.”

“The results from the Administration’s refusal to listen to the experts and to sideline those like Dr. Bright who point out any errors in the government’s response will continue to be catastrophic for the American people,” Katz and Banks said.

“We will request that the Office of Special Counsel seek a stay of Dr. Bright’s termination and that Dr. Bright be permitted to remain in his position pending the OSC and IG’s investigation of this unlawful forced transfer.”

In his statement, Bright wrote, “My professional background has prepared me for a moment like this — to confront and defeat a deadly virus that threatens Americans and people around the globe.”

“To this point, I have led the government’s efforts to invest in the best science available to combat the Covid-19 pandemic.”

“Unfortunately, this resulted in clashes with H.H.S. political leadership, including criticism for my proactive efforts to invest early into vaccines and supplies critical to saving American lives. I also resisted efforts to fund potentially dangerous drugs promoted by those with political connections,” he wrote.

Bright also wrote, “Specifically, and contrary to misguided directives, I limited the broad use of chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine, promoted by the administration as a panacea, but which clearly lack scientific merit,” he said.

Trump has suggested that those drugs could be effective in treating Covid-19 patients.

While I am prepared to look at all options and to think ‘outside the box’ for effective treatments, I rightly resisted efforts to provide an unproven drug on demand to the American public,” Bright wrote.

“I insisted that these drugs be provided only to hospitalized patients with confirmed Covid-19 while under the supervision of a physician.

He added that “These drugs have potentially serious risks associated with them, including increased mortality observed in some recent studies in patients with Covid-19.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/22/coronavirus-treatment-vaccine-doctor-says-worry-about-trump-idea-led-to-ouster.htm

US officials prepare for ‘two viruses’ next fall: coronavirus and the flu

• U.S. officials are preparing to battle two bad viruses circulating at the same time as the coronavirus outbreak runs into flu season next fall and winter.
  • President Donald Trump said that Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Robert Redfield was “totally misquoted” when he said challenges from the coronavirus could be “more difficult” in the winter.
  • “He was talking about the flu and corona coming together at the same time,” Trump said at a White House press briefing, “and corona could be just some little flare-ups that we’ll take care of.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/22/trump-says-cdc-directors-coronavirus-warning-was-totally-misquoted.htm

Are many countries not mass testing because of cost seems only short term solution , not even certain to find a vaccine

It’s pointless in the general public. Just because you’re -ve this week doesnt mean you’ll be -ve next week. Theyll have to test weekly. Only test those with symptoms.

its interesting ,there was scientist on a uk news channel saying if they tested a million people a day in uk they eradicate it very quickly and he said its possible,i suppose the only way is to gradually lift the lockdown with mass testing

Yeah it’s very interesting. The only way itll work is if those who are positive are actively quarantined. Not left to their own devices, people need to be treated like kids. In the uk few weekends ago the beaches were full, the advice at the time was stay at home. Otherwise it just keeps getting passed round, atleast one person from every household goes out to do food shopping.

Testing by itself doesnt mean anything. In the uk most people dont even want to get tested. It’s a hassle just getting to one of those testing places. Also me for eg I’m -ve, or I have no symptoms and well for last month. What’s the point of testing me? Next week I might pick up some milk and positive a few days later. Just because 10 people are -ve doesnt mean they can start playing rugby. People don’t live alone or live in one sterile room. It’s all a load of crap.

That’s why we need the media. Keep the government honest! Otherwise theyll get away with anything. For eg it was on the news today that if someone started a job before a particular date then they cant be furloughed. But they paid tax and NI so what’s happening to them? People like this need the media to speak up for them otherwise theyd be left behind.

I dont know who this guy is But mistakes are leading to deaths. These are not the kind of mistakes we want. When a doctor or nurse make a mistake they are sacked and plastered all over the news. I understand they’re trying their best but it shouldnt be ok to say ‘we tried our best’ and we move on.

That is simply untrue - In UK we can’t sack anyone for incompetence - the more so if they are part of “Public Services” !

That paediatric doctor? Bawa garba I think.
There was some private surgeon. Sure i can find more, just couldnt be bothered to google it lol

Just at the moment - we in the uk are giving what seems to be the most competent Govt in decades the benefit of the doubt. Blair treated us like kids and got away with it - until hs illegal war showed us some flags - Cameron, May et al tried it on and the Public put them in their places. For the last 31/2 years we have watched in disbelief as the Deep State, Remainers and Most disgracefully the Main Stream Media - have tried to treat us “Like kids” - As I said Boris and his team have the benefit of our goodwill at the moment - BUT I’m sure he is well aware that - that is the situation - There s considerable doubt as to whether he actually has the power at Law to do what he is doing - but WE are “on side” !

Try to “treat us like kids” mate - some of those "Police chiefs have tried that one - and fortunately they have been put in their places by Govt.

That is good ! But if tehy start to “Exctract the Urine” - We shall once again see what “The UK says NO!” looks like !

The public dont know what they are saying no to. Lol itll be like brexit all over, oh sorry we were tricked lol. Can we re-vote please. Now if the public say NO, then that has a direct effect on peoples lives, it will actually lead to more deaths. People coughing in police officers face?! Filling up beaches?! Not following social distancing?! Yep, treat them as kids.

You seem to have this the wrong way up !

We the people give up some of our Agency to Government in order that they can absolve us of the need to protect ourselves from theft , murder etc - BUT They are Our Employees - We are still "the BOss"

Government / Policing are by CONSENT ! - For Top-down Government go see what it is like in China or any other Communist Country - That is the way of Globalisation, The EU etc - No mate in the UK and the USA - The INDIVIDUAL is sovereign - NOT the “Govt” and so long as we co-operate “they” will have a reasonably quiet life from us.

The events of teh last few years have seen the Genie well out of the bottle and We are watching - signs of Totalitarianism like "treating us like kids" will NOT be appreciated !

In normal times yes but I mean only in this kind of time. Like this pandemic. I wouldnt trust the general public to make decisions on how to get over coronavirus. If it was up to them, theyd be sitting on the tube, buses, trains, parks coughing over everyone. ‘Oh, it only effects the elderly’ whoops sorry. Can we re-vote?

I never said tthat !

A very short step perhaps from “not trusting the public to make decisions about their own responses to Bat-flu” to "Not trusting the Public to make important decisions about - Who governs our country…"

Democracy is a very poor form of Government - BUT ALL THE OTHERS ARE SO MUCH WORSE !

IF Tony Blair’s dumbing down of education has rendered the millenial generation unfit to make considerd decisions - the answer is NOT “Force” - The answer lies in a return to Rigorous education and Critical thinking.

There is no way I shall ever accede to “We know best” - “It’s for your own good” - is the founding principle of Communism - No mate - People are (still) free in this country - that implies that they are also free to make their own mistakes. That freedom is the founding principle of democracy and Private enterprise. It must be retained at all costs :upside_down_face:

I think this is what I don’t agree with. Not when the publics mistakes causes other people to die. Because there are a part of the the public who just dont understand how serious this is. In these times, they need to be told what to do.

I think I’ll let Peter Hitchens put the response to the “Big Brother” action which you so gleefully espouse
"…Is the world now being run by teenagers ?.."

This guy has no solutions just questioning everything. He doesnt know what hes talking about. We’ve seen in Italy no lockdown and how out of control they were. People over 60 do not get a ventilator in italy, just think about that. How old is Peter Hitchens? If hes over 60 he wont get a ventilator. This is because so many people contracted it so the hospital couldn’t cope. I feel he hasnt seen the way people die from covid 19 or hasnt lost a loved one. Otherwise he would be very afraid of questioning a lockdown especially when the opposite didnt work in Europe. Hes more worried about the economic effects and as a throwaway comment mentions the healthy elderly, he forgot the healthy young who are also dying at the moment.

The stupidity of this video started right at the beginning when the person said ‘we now know it isn’t as dangerous as we first thought’. Ridiculous. Covid19 kills young and old, it doesnt discriminate and the way it kills is horrendous.

In common with the rest of the world - NOBODY has any solutions, because we don’t even know what the problem is - SO how can you “Solve” it ?

Are you just making this up as you go along ?

We shall not know until the “lockdown” is released whether it has had any useful effect or not ! - The fact is that the lockdown will cause massive damage and death - whether the numbers are bigger than those who are rescued by having enough ventilators to go around will be seen in due course.

Neither do we know just how dangerous it is - we need some decent assessment of the percentage of teh populationn who have had it and recovered - before we can even make that assessment. But It does seem that men are about 3 times more likely to die than women. Especially old men with underlying health issues (Incidentally I am one of those who has had the “NHS Letter” to say I am Especially vulnerable.

The simple fact is that we are presented with “Disaster scenarios” almost daily and the response of Governments to this virus is completey different from their response to any previous one - and that response has been mainly “Media driven” - It certainly seems to me to have some aspects of a “Trial run” to me - But as to for what they are trialling exactly one can only speculate !

The apparent hysteria of your response would, I expect be exactly what such a “Trial” would be wishing to see :slightly_smiling_face:

yes i see your points, im too uk and gradually seen certain peoples enthusiasm drop adhering to the lockdown rules, idiots running right by breathing heavily ect yes but regarding testing surely its a start

1 nhs workers
2 care/ health worker
3 All supermarket workers/ pharmacies