Trading the news

hi

i am trying to get my head around the effect news has on the price of a forex pair. Today we had bearish news for EUR and bullish news for USD but the price of of EUR/USD rose from 8am uk time

i know this is probably really simple stuff but i would really appreciate some advice on this

@lennysmalls
Lenny, this is a very very long topic to discuss

you should research the following

Sentiment analysis
Fundamental Analysis
and what effects it has on the economy and currences

any other answer would be too long to type up here

the only other thing i can say IN SHORT would be
Economic events AFFECT the economy and in turn, Currencies
but, obviously this is to simple an answer to actually be useful

2 Likes

If you look at what news happened today then you should be able to grasp why the EUR fell , and why the US rose

You are right; but you may see; so many times positive data but negative move! I think, it’s not easy to be a master on the news analysis.

1 Like

Yea you really have to be careful when you trade the news. Sometimes I wait too long before jumping in to buy or sell. Once that news starts, the chart just goes crazy sometimes. You think whatever pair you’re looking at will rise, then all of a sudden it retraces out of nowhere lol but looking at the daily charts help me predict what the move will be the next morning/day, helps you determine where the trend might go. Every trader has their own strategy for different things, it all depends on the person and what works for them. When you really spend time looking at these charts, you learn a lot lol

I agree, it really isn’t easy. I’ve been trading for years but news analysis is still terra incognita for me.

I posted an answer in another thread recently that might help:

Basically, even if the news for EUR or USD is typically classified as “bearish” or “bullish”, unless the market believes the new information is going to alter the current narrative (ECB more hawkish than the Fed going forward), then EUR/USD will continue/maintain its strength.

Its very difficult to predict how the news will affect the markets but you don’t really need to. There are actually only two possible outcomes. One is a news event that does not structally change the market. Lots of volitility but in the end goes nowhere. The other is obviously a news event that does structually change the market. Starts a trend for example.

You dont need to and in fact can not predict which one will happen but you can react to it. Here is what I do. I wait for the news to come out and then wait about 5 minutes more. Now I start looking for a trend but do not jump in yet. Wait for the trend to retrace and get in on the retracement. Most good trends will have one or more tradable retracements even if you have to go to a lower TF to see them.

1 Like

Topics about forex pair is a very big topic. I think still now I am not completely understand this. Still now I am trying to grasp the education about forex trading pairs. I am taking helps form the Babypips school. To understand trading pair’s trader need to be very good about trading analysis. Technical and fundamental analysis can help you to understand the trading pairs more clearly. I try to do technical analysis for this.

Well said; really news trading is not like copy-past process! I think, it takes time to understand the fundamental of news trading.

Trading on news is not as simple as copy paste nor we can just believe on news . They can be fake or wrong. Wait some time after news release so that market set its trend then it will easy for any trader to know either this news is effecting like it is stated or totally different from news .

1 Like

There is anyone who is new Forex trader and also profitable during news ?

I think for avoiding risk and unfortunate losses we newcomers always have to avoid news trading , because without most powerful analyzing fundamental knowledge news trading just useless and during news market moves at random. Any signal or copy trading works not at all in news. It’s much complicated issue in Forex.

Well said! I really agree with your opinion; by the way; which news event is your favorite? For me, NFP!

That’s the real scenario mate! Please, don’t lose your hope! Very soon, you’ll be able to enjoy the news trading! Happy learning!

Once I decided to try to trade on the news and lost $ 100.
At once I specify, yes, I am a beginner and I don’t understand many things.
So don’t recommend to trade on the news.

Data releases and new events you hear on CNBC, Bloomberg, WSJ, etc. have already been discounted by the market.

The only thing that news promises is volatility.

Spreads grow wider when news is out and before you know it, you are suffering from requotes and slipping stop losses.

Unless you are a professional news trader, I’d recommend staying away from news trading.

haha
Comments like this are funny :stuck_out_tongue:

in the nicest way i can say this to you (@JimmBlack)
but in the bluntest way i can put it FOR THE NEWBIES That will read this…

here is the summary

• ONCE you traded the news (once, as in , once upon a time)
  • You lost $100
  • by your own admission you are a beginner

and you (A Beginner) has now concluded that a person should not trade the news

that 's like saying , a beginner electrician got zapped because he touched the wrong wire on an electrical circuit and he now recommends that people don’t become electricians or at the very least stay away from it hehehe…

No mate…

$100 is not a lot
you should not have traded live to begin with
You should learn to trade first and then MAKE A JUDGEMENT AS TO WHETHER IT SHOULD BE DONE OR NOT

you are not qualified to make a recommendation on this
you can merely give an opinion, but it is an opinion of a beginner that lost because they didn’t trade demo at first

please consider this… ok
be cool

1 Like

I don’t know about that, I just avoid trading news altogether. :smiley:
I’m fine that way, I don’t mind these pauses in my trading.

I don’t think, avoiding is a good option! You can at least, research on the movements on the news events, eventually it will help you.