Trading while working 9-5

How do people trade while working a 9-5 job?

Is it best to trade certain pairs once home from work? or do people still trade during work time?

I currently work an office job and I’m trying to figure how I can make this trading journey work while working :upside_down_face:

Any tips/tricks/wisdom/strats would be greatly appreciated!

3 Likes

Personally, I would go look for what pair is moving for that particular day. But, most people would just prefer something pairing with USD as the spread is tighter. It depends on how far you want your pre-analysis goes.

If you want in and out kind of trade, then no. It’s very hard to trade when you working. But, If it’s like an intraday swings or longer timeframe than this, yeah it’s possible.

Again, it depends on you. If you want to be a session trader, you need to choose either to trade Asian, London or NY session. London and NY session are busier market so these are the ideal session for a day trader. If you’re a swinger, then not a problem at all.

If you really want something in your life, you will find a way. No matter how hard it is.

I wish you good luck in your trading journey!! :grinning:

5 Likes

trading on daily time frame , automatic trading

5 Likes

Thanks for getting back to me with this, I’m thinking it may be best to swing trade for now with my current circumstance :slight_smile:

Hey Professor!

Thank you for getting back to me :slight_smile:

Is trading on the daily considered Swing Trading? and With trading the daily would that mean holding trades overnight?

1 Like

there are two totally different, potentially viable approaches

one is to trade from “slow” charts and look at them once (maybe twice?) a day, e.g. daily charts - this of course means leaving unwatched open positions, lower trading frequency, wide stop-losses and smaller position-sizes, but hopefully produces a higher win-rate

the other is to trade from much faster charts, more attentively, only within your set, limited hours (e.g. 2-3 hours per day on weekdays, maybe 10-15 hours per week altogether) - this means something closer to what many people wrongly call “scalping,” no unwatched open positions, far higher trading frequency and the safety of tighter stop-losses, but will typically produce a lower overall win-rate

my own opinion is that a higher proportion of people trying the first way are profitable, but of course I can’t prove that

yes, widely, but totally wrongly

what “swing-trading” is actually has nothing at all to do with timeframes - it can be intraday or even intra-hour :wink:

5 Likes

what type of method you will use depends on you

that is depends on strategy type, for trend following you will hold open trades during weeks for swing trading you can build a strategy which close position at end of the day

1 Like

Flamingo!

Thank you for replying to me with your wisdom as usual :sunglasses:

I like the sound of this very much, Is there any specific known strategy for this?
Or any resources/books anywhere that I can learn from and research/implement this? I can read what you said but I’m still a noob and would appreciate a deeper understanding of doing all of that.

1 Like

The thing is I’m not sure where I can find methods/strategies, I’ve finished BabyPips but I’m not sure what resources good traders use to learn more/create a strategy?

most charts are fractal, most of the time

this means that with probably only two exceptions, strategies are mostly not time-frame-dependent

typically, slower charts produce fewer trades but higher win-rates (this is just factual, really - can’t see anyone arguing with it)

[the two exceptions are: first, real scalping and HFT (you wouldn‘t do this anyway, so it’s not relevant here?); secondly, time-of-day-specific strategies such as opening range breakouts (you probably wouldn‘t do this, either? - they can actually work well, though)]

so your choice of strategy probably shouldn’t really be determined by the hours/chart-speeds you trade

if you want to look at and think about a couple of good, sensible, easily learnable, easily tradable strategies that are both decent and pretty reliable, work well on slow/daily charts, are based on sound principles, and have successfully stood the test of changing times/markets, here are two suggestions : -

1. “The Camelback Technique” by Joe Ross; look online for information and the free PDF with that title - you really do need to start from that, as much forum/website/Youtube “information” about it is no good at all - it’s a chapter from an old Ross textbook

2. this system works well and reliably (and is probably about the only one there that does, as 99% of what’s there is junk!!) but you need to use 1:1 position-sizing, NOT higher as unwisely recommended in the thread, and definitely not 1:3 (that‘s absolute nonsense!!)

both the above methods are actually kind of similar and each is based on very basic price action principles - each uses an indicator or two but not for the trade entries (these are two promising signs, of course!)

obviously, you need to practice either/both on demo, first

shout if you need help

4 Likes

LOL

One of very, very, very few methods used successfully both on trading floors and by retail forex traders? :joy:

(We used to use different settings from Joe, for the indicators, though.)

1 Like

Hi!
I have a 9-5 at the hospital, so don’t really have time to watch trades.
I trade on daily timeframe, look at higher timeframe for market structure, and lower (4h) for entries.
I do my analysis on the weekend and choose the currencies/stock that have set up to trade, and let them roll…
I do have a glance at them at lunch time and in the evenings.
Journal everything and, yes old position for days. My longest so far it 25days.

Hope that helps.
I’m a newbie as well, on demo account and applying my trading plan diligently. Hoping to get a profitable and make it a side (taxfree) income once on live!

Happy trading!

4 Likes

I personally have a full-time job and I trade too. This has been my style for the past 4 years. it may take much longer to become a professional trader and eventually become independent, but nevertheless, IT IS POSSIBLE.
Here are my 5-Points recommendations;

1- trade like Swing traders. do the higher time frame. Daily time frame.
2- pre-set your exit points and Stop-Loss, in advance should trade go against you
3- DO WEEKLY ANALYSIS and prepare your week ahead strategy and pairs that you find opportunities
4- DO NOT check or look at your trade during the work so many times. this will make you nervous and you may exit prematurely.
5- journal details and review them at least monthly.

and when you succeed, let me know, and let’s celebrate together.
and of course, you can reach out to me at any time for any more questions or concerns that I can address.

5 Likes

When do you quit work and where do you live?

Let me give you an exemplea of how I do it. I live in Germany and my 9-5 is actually 7-3 so I mostly trade by 6 pm. This is a time where London session is about to close so I will focus on trading pairs which “belong in the correct session” and I noticed that London-Session is mostly trend following while N.Y. mostly reversal. So I’m just doing that, trading reverseals mainly majors.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for your knowledge! I appreciate it so much and will not take it lightly!

I’m going to extensively research this method using the page that Joe Ross wrote apart of his trading manual, I’ll go over it again and again until I understand it precisely and will let you know how I get on so thank you :pray:

I will also look at this and do the same once I’ve fully understood the camelback so thank you :star_struck:

I can’t thank you enough for putting me on to this information, I thank you & your wisdom, This is what I was looking for in terms of a direction to go to kickstart my trading so thank you once again Flamingo you’re the best! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Are you saying this technique works in both stocks & forex? :eyes:

Was the different settings you used better than Joe Ross’s?

Thank you for replying to my post

That is all great to know and also motivational that it is possible to trade around work hours! I will look into this further :slight_smile:

Thank you for your response it’s been really helpful and motivational to know that it is possible!

I shall incorporate all of this into my current routine/strategy and will treat it as gospel :slight_smile:

When I succeed I shall pay you back for your help and wisdom thank you! :sunglasses: I shall let you know when I have more questions! I appreciate you taking time out for your response

When do I quit work? Well I mean I’m thinking of getting a work from home job around March or did you mean something else like what time I finish work? which is 17:00.

I currently live in the UK :slight_smile:

Thank you for letting me know this, I shall have a look at both New York & London for those reasons and see if I can fit my strategy to those times :slight_smile: I live in the UK so the time difference shouldn’t be too off, I think I’m an hour infront of you?

1 Like

I wasn’t (but I see no reason why it wouldn’t. I trade only forex futures and index futures, not individual stocks.)

I was just saying that it’s a great rarity for institutional and retail traders to use the same methods. At all. Ever. But the Camelback is really used by both groups.

I don’t know. We just used a 10-bar EMA instead of 15 as he said, and used it also to close the runner (last third of the position) when it changed direction. Optional!

I got an email from Flamingo last night. He says he won’t come here again after this thread and he really means it, because the forum’s admin has been lying to him in private correspondence, about the bots, I joined this forum only 6 weeks ago at Flamingo’s invitation, and will be leaving, too. The forum values scammers, spammers and bots much more than real members. A great shame, but there are other forums without these problems.

Good luck.

1 Like