Wannabe mentors, supposed gurus, charletans, cheats, scammers, stay out!

Andre- You have fantastic insight and a spot on perspective as to how things really work under the surface. I couldn’t agree more about the fact the players and high net worth traders are not “slogging” around (I believe that’s how you put it :slight_smile: on the forums and chat rooms trying to increase membership fees. After all in the scheme of things this truly is small potatoes to these guys.

I would like to pose a serious question to you though. Please don’t take this the wrong way I am genuinely curious. If you are running in these circles, what are you doing here and why are you dedicating so much time and energy? Can you please provide some insight to your motivations?

Great thread again everyone thank you for your input, I think we have some above average guys sloggin around this one :slight_smile:

No worries, I won�t take it the wrong way at all :slight_smile:

Two of my colleagues (Tess & Jocelyn) were invited here couple years or so back.

They liked the ambience & attitude etc so they stuck around.

They don�t post a whole lot, as don�t I or our other buddy Sean P (Patzchek), but it�s a pretty cool place to hang out & chew the fat + the management here filter out the clowns & the crap pretty effectively, so it makes the trips in here a pleasant enough experience.

The girls asked if a few of us would mix it up a little & maybe add bits & pieces to the thread, so me & knuckle head Sean agreed to chip in as & when time permits.
The others prefer to observe from a distance. None of us are real ‘forum fans’ to be honest, but like I say � this joint is pretty cool & it’s not like we got to spend large chunks of time participating.

The other retail sites are apparently pretty poor quality & mostly full of sh*t judging by the comments of some of our regular contacts. Folks here are generally polite, friendly & good humored.

Nothing wrong in trying to help a few folks out who are maybe struggling with the basics.

It�s not like we�re [I]“hard core contributors”[/I] or anything, you only need to view the post counts to see that � we just amble in when the thread buzzes or we got something worth imparting.

Right, I�m done here for today. Sunday�s in the office are thankfully as rare as hens teeth. Time to freshen up & hit the bar!
Stay cool :wink:

Before I head out, I�ll leave you with this:

I sure don�t mean to p*ss on your parade or cast any sort of disrespects toward you fella�s in what you�re attempting to achieve, but unfortunately you�ll rarely get the one-on-one, regular hands on access to the type of quality player(s) you�re seeking via a public site.

I�m not saying these types of folks don�t frequent public domains, because they do. But they sure as hell won�t be touting or hunting for that kind of business on here.

And even if you do happen to come across a likely candidate & they�re in the market to party, you�re going to require awful deep pockets.

With all the best intentions in the world re; interview, screening & filtering documentation�that won�t cut the deal or put you in front of those you actually need to be in front of.

I hope I�m wrong & you manage to cultivate a genuine, walkin talking hotshot, but I�m afraid unless you got excellent network or contact feelers, you�re stuck on the lower tier retail merry-go-round. I�m real sorry to say it, but [B]they[/B] don�t (need to) approach [B]you[/B]

The old [I]�if they�re so successful why do they need to charge so much� [/I]chestnut doesn�t really hold water either�it�s a simple open & shut case of supply & demand!

They got exactly what you require:
The correct grade of experience
The necessary knowledge & know-how + the results & records to back it up

That package most definitely doesn�t come cheap.
And why should it?
Just think about it for a second.

Folks want to hire or retain the services of the top tier law firms in New York City or London etc, then they expect to pay premium dollar. The expertise & application they receive from these hotshots generally exceed average ticket value from the run of the mill firms.
Same for accountancy number crunchers & tax experts.

They don�t hustle, cold call or market themselves to you�.you have to ferret around & go find them! However, you won�t even make it through the foyer of the better grade firms. They all work off word of mouth & the grapevine network.

It all comes around to (graded & tiered) supply & demand, just like the currency markets you�re looking to profit from!

The �if they�re so successful why do they need to charge so much� chestnut [B]does [/B]hold water for forex traders.

Your example is comparing apple to oranges. Top tier lawyers and accountants [B]can’t[/B] make money without hiring out their services to others, but a top tier forex trader can earn millions by themselves.

Lawyers need other people so they can get rich, traders don’t! :slight_smile:

If you say so. :slight_smile:
I was talking about the quality with regard to my example, but no matter.

Folks will digest whatever they feel they need to.

Enjoy the rest of your weekends & good luck next week.

This has been a highly contested issue. It seems to me you don’t go to school
and not use books to learn, you don’t apply and usually get jobs with no experience for the tasks you need to complete. I read a lot of blogs and there are quite a few people who repeat the same pattern in Forex skip the education process and go right into learing how to lose money. Robots, and all these other software programs are not the way to the top, if they were someone would have one that clearly makes people rich and sell it for a very high price.
When buying those you make the salesmen and production team rich but not yourself. You get burned after awhile when your account goes negative. There are plenty of people who are successful traders who do it full time and make a very good living. So why not go that route. Seems to me it is proven and works.
Yes its usually costs a couple of grand but if you go the other way your usually going to give up that money for free back to the market anyway. Especially for new people. When you get software like fapturbo most people broke even or eventually lost money. Except for the people who made it. take the time to use your head educate yourself the right way and you will give yourself a far greater success rate than the 97 percent of traders who don’t make it. Best of luck to all traders.

I agree Scott.I dont know the blogger who wrote that about traderooms but it seemed to pertain to Onecents thread.I never been in a traderoom but the benefits seem obvious the exposure to somebody elses thought process other than yourself.Even if he is not a profitable trader there is probably few nuggets you could add to your arsenal.

Not everybody is cut out to be a trader either.I read few excerpts of the book about the turtle traders,a thousand people applied i think they took about ten of them.They had very limited experince.They all were trained the sameway the most sucessful of them seemed to follow the training to a tee,even when the drawdowns were over 50 percent the rest of them either scaled down or dropped the trade he marched on and i think 20 years later still handles multi million dollar accounts.The point is not everbody will get it even with a profitable trading room .

What is the saying “those who cant, teach”;)some truth to that but my nieces pounding on the piano is much kinder to the ears with a paino teacher and my nephew swinging a sweet bat in pony league with a good coach.:slight_smile:

Good trading everyone whatever path you take!

The �if they�re so successful why do they need to charge so much� chestnut does hold water for forex traders.

Your example is comparing apple to oranges. Top tier lawyers and accountants can’t make money without hiring out their services to others, but a top tier forex trader can earn millions by themselves.

Lawyers need other people so they can get rich, traders don’t!

phil think about this for a minute. why are there hedge funds???

why are there mutual funds???

why are there any investment funds at all???

the answer because people have money and they want somebody to show them how to A. make it safe and B. make them a tidy little return

As always when there is money to be spent there will always be people willing to show them how to spend it.

why are there multi million dollar funds and why are these money managers making so much money???

A. coz there good at it and B. coz the money they manage is a hell of a lot bigger than what they could ever come up with by there own resourses even if they traded there own money for years.

wherever there is a “niche” market for example teaching people how to trade while already manageing there investments, there will always be somebody willing to help them for a profit.

like andre said it really is simple supply and demand

EXACTLY- Let’s get back to the KISS principle, keep it simple stupid. I have never seen a profession where so many things are so confusing, convoluted, and over complicated.

It really does blow my mind that many think that you can be successful without some form of education or training. This doesn’t make common sense! Think about it, does a surgeon train him himself? Does a fighter pilot take a jet up or just put in some “demo” time and hit the skies? Does a civil engineer just start throwing structures together. Does Tiger Woods not a have a trainer, swing coach, mental coach, etc? If you want to be the best you have to work with the best. Water seeks its own level. Surround yourself with scum and you will be pulled down to the scums level and vice versa. I try to surround myself with people who have accomplished what I want to accomplish and be like.

Absolutely ridiculous, why is it that this is even a questions as to why mentors, teachers, and some sort of training is essential?

At the risk of sounding like it’s a conspiracy, it’s because the ones that are talented are in limited supply and they don’t want the masses to have the information to become successful.

However, on the other hand, most people if everything they needed to be successful fell right in their lap they still wouldn’t take advantage of it and will always have an excuse as to why it won’t work.

Just some of my thoughts continue on. :slight_smile:

How is it obvious? The only thing that is obvious is how little you… what’s the point anyway?

No, that’s not why. The reason is because there is a lot of money involved in “education”.

Ed- I would concede that point but, there seems to be a lot of money in education but I wouldn’t confuse that with good education. I think most would pay a huge premium for a bona fide certified education program that had a track record. Does this exist? Not that I know of but if so I would love to know about it.

Instead predominantly there is expensive education that in the end is worthless or something that can easily be had with some homework and a good working knowledge of Google.

My belief: the reason why many shy away from “teachers” in forex is that:

1. It’s very difficult to know if the teacher is actually good - there’s no organization regulating “forex teachers”
  2. Teachers and courses etc often cost alot of money
  3. Teaching is best done face to face, which in the global internet world of forex is difficult to arrange

Combine these three and I’m sure we have the major reasons why people do not go about learning forex as they would another subject.
I do agree absolutely that learning from a [B]good[/B] teacher is the superior way of learning, but in forex that teacher is hard to find and tell apart from the scammer look-a-likes that lurch around.

I couldn’t agree more. Thanks for stopping by o990l6mh! Your input is always appreciated and I have followed your posts for a long time now and always have a lot to offer. It is so difficult to tell the real deal from the fake. A website that is truly unbiased is long overdo. I have seen some out there but they are pretending to be review sites however they are in actuality a way to pump the services and gurus in which they are “in bed with”.

In the end, not sure if this is a futile exercise though, as Andre said the real teachers and traders we would want to learn from and have as mentors for the most part are unreachable. But I will continue on and keep trying. :slight_smile:

o990l6mh listed reasons why someone would opt to teach, but he left one out. It’s the same reason people manage money - because it can provide a diversified income source. One can’t necessarily predict what kind of profits the market will give them. The alternate source of income can help smooth out the bumps.

But even that only scratches the surface. How many people trade and have full-time or part-time jobs? Is it wrong for them to do that? Should we tell them they are wrong for doing so if they do well in the markets? Of course not. People do things for a lot of different reasons. Making assumptions about their motivations creates unnecessarily conflict.

As for paying for trading education and what you get, I think first we have to start with the fact that most of the money being spent on these sorts of things is being done so by folks who don’t have any idea of what they are getting or what they need. Now, part of this is definitely marketers appealing to people’s greed and desire for easy solutions. It’s also partly a function of people not taking the time to learn the ground level stuff before launching themselves into things like holy grail trading systems. If we can correct the latter it will make the former much less appealing.

If folks would realize that trading is like any activity in that there’s no easy solution and it takes time, learning, and effort to do well, it would save a huge amount of money and grief.

As for onecent’s comment about using Google to learn what you need, that brings up the question of value. We’ve had this discussion on BabyPips before. At what point are you better off buying a book or video than spending hour upon hour searching the web and trying to filter through to find the good stuff - especially when you’re new and have no idea what the good stuff is?

That then brings up the question of what’s good and who’s a reputable educator. Hopefully, sites like BabyPips can help people find that out. The problem, though, is that people are much more likely to comment negatively about something than positively, so you end up with an unbalanced perspective. One need only consider the broker side of things to see that. Additionally, there is a paranoia in trading about sharing for fear that somehow you’ll lose your edge. That also keeps people from making positive comments about things that have helped them along the way.

Not quite. I listed reasons why people are reluctant/suspicious of teachers in forex, not the reasons why people choose to offer their services as teachers.

Dear Friend:

Please be ware of teachers and supposed gurus, I agree with the previous posting, please read below to see why.

I am not sure how many of you are traders or have been for long enough to know how some people and companies in this industry really work. I have been a trader now for many years and have learned some very scary things out there about some companies that are taking many of you for your money.

First off the forex is an investment. Please take a look at this site and read what a broker has to say about forex trading.
The following is a quote directly from the broker you can check the source out by going to fxcm.com (scroll to the bottom where it says �Investment Myths�)

Many companies out there sell this type of investment as a disguised get rich quick scam. What they will tell you is that you have been selected from a pool and one of the lucky ones that gets to work one -on-one with a coach or professional mentor. (Like you won some sort of prize) Be very careful some of these salespeople are very very good.
This is how it works, they will have a two part sale; meaning you will be talking to two people, one guy is a finder who finds out if you have money by telling you he is going to help you get out of debt or some sort of reason for him calling. This may be done in many ways, you bought into some deal on the internet and they are screening calls or they are just checking to see how you liked the product. This part of the sale has one purpose, to see if you have money. They will tell you things when you ask them questions like, �I don�t know I am only a junior associate� or �I haven�t worked here very long� or my favorite, �this company doesn�t allow me to get into this industry unless I have worked here at least 5 years�
Let�s go back to the basics, IF IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT IS!!

The goal of this stage is to see if you have money so that you can go on to the next step. This second step is the grabber, the closer, the senior director, or some sly name for a closing salesman. These people don�t take no for an answer unless you hang up on them. They will tell you they are looking for a few people, hit your pain just like a normal sale would go. They will tell you in some cases how much money they make or that they are �hooking you up with traders that have made millions on the markets and you are lucky� they might even tell you in some cases that they themselves have made a ton of money. They will tell you that you are going to be a testimonial for them and the company and that they need you to be a part of their success team in order for them to sell more products. They will be sly and very convincing.
Their goal is to convince you very cunningly that�s it�s ok to invest THOUSANDS of dollars from your credit card to work with a �professional trader� Many of whom really haven�t been in the markets for more than a few months.
Here is how to beat them. If you have invested your money in them CALL YOUR BANK AND GET IT BACK!!

Here is how you can win with the bank. The sales rep will run circles telling you that you signed a contract and that you can�t get it back. They will tell you that they always win these disputes and that you wanted it once and there is no point in fighting it.

What they won�t tell you is this, even if you signed a contract, you are being scammed. The consumer will win the chargeback if you do a few things.

1. First and foremost, show the bank this letter of warning.
  2. Keep names of the people you chatted with and pull up their info on the internet and take those documents to the bank.
  3. Don�t be bullied by the company. They will try to draw fear in you.
  4. In some cases an attorney will be necessary. You will have to have them write a letter to the company (it might cost you a few hundred) but they will be more than willing to give your money back at that point. If they pursue it enough to go to court and they lose, it would ruin them.

This is how the companies are set up. Let�s say you pay $6,500.00 to company X. Right off the start 20% gets paid out in commissions. (you really think the sales reps aren�t going to say whatever they want for the $1,300 in commissions each gets roughly $650). They will sell as many of these people as they can in one week. They will tell you how busy the �closer� is simply because he is booked with other people like you that he is closing. The first person will tell you that he needs to go check the senior director�s schedule, and in reality he is just finding someone on the floor that can close you down.
Ok, next there is a merchant fee, that normally depends on the merchant some I have seen as low as 1% but most of these floors are fly by night and change their names so often they are a risk to the merchants so they run about 3-5%. Let�s say for this example we run at 2% that is $130 taken off the sale. Now we are down to $5,070 left over. There is what is called a lead fee, which can range again from 15% - 40% of the sale. Industry average is about 35%. That is $2,275 of the initial sale.
The lead generator is the place or company that sold you the initial program. Their marketing looks great and they will tell you all of these great stories of how much money you can make to get you to buy their program. But they are also making money on the back end by selling the name phone number and address to these Call Centers. Most of these things don�t work, they are just lead generators.
Ok, now we are down to $2,795 of your money left. We haven�t even talked about the millionaire that will be coaching you. Let�s say that the package you signed up for bought you into 20 coaching sessions. You would think that simple math would be $325 per session. Even if the coach made � of that $162 per session and did 10 per week, that would be $1,620 per week that this coach would be making off the coaching. HMMMM�…why is a multi millionaire working 10 hours a week to make $1,620??? Out of the kindness of his heart?? I don�t think so. Not for that little of money. Now, imagine if the coaches were to only make $30.00 of that per session at 10 sessions per week. That would only be $300 per week.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but that�s all they make and they don�t do 10 sessions, many of them are doing 40+ sessions to make ends meet.
Many of these Call Centers sell in the ranges of $50,000 - $150,000 per week in sales volume. These owners are the only ones in the company that are making money. When you see testimonials they are generally of demo accounts. One way to know a real live account from a Demo is look at the time frames, if you see some withdrawals (money taken out and paid to the trader) than it is more likely to be real, the testimonials that you are seeing are normally demo accounts, talk to any real trader or investor and they will be the first to tell you that real trading is %100 different. Of course it�s easy to open a trade on fake money. That would be like me telling you I bought 3 properties today, (I really did, Boardwalk, Park Place and Connecticut Ave) I played Monopoly and made enough money to buy them. You might laugh but that�s the same concept. Wouldn�t it be nice to really buy real estate that easily?

Whoops! Sorry. It was phil838 who posted the reasons.

While it’s certainly true that these techniques are used (in forex and elsewhere), I think there are many, many others which are much more incidious and damaging - specifically the whole get rich quick, it’s easy propaganda that you see all over the place. A lot of folks get sucked into forex because of that pervasive marketing.

The only “good education” is one that bucks the norm. People who buck the norm find themselves banned from sites like BabyPips. The “FX-Men Honorary Members” make sure they are banned to protect their status.