Weekly Discussion [Week of January 13 - 19, 2019]

Welcome to the brand spanking new, first-ever Weekly Discussion topic for the year… or ever!

And of course, welcome to a brand new trading week.

What is this Weekly Discussion Topic?

We wanted to have a place where people can discuss the day’s events without having to create a new topic or potentially derail someone else’s. It’s more time-based and the discussions will be more loose and easy for anyone to hop in to write a quick question or comment.

OK, so what can we talk about?

• Anything related to this week’s events. If it happened the day before, that’s fine. As long as it’s still within this week’s events, you can discuss it here!
  • You can talk about general news, trading-related news, etc.
  • Technical analysis, trading ideas, etc. that’s applicable for this week.

Do the forum rules still apply?

But of course!

So yes, you still have to be respectful to each other, silly. Here’s the link to our forum rules for your reference.

That’s it! Hopefully this weekly discussion topic takes off. Go forth and… start posting! :wink:

7 Likes

Really Nice Idea.
Well done!!!

Shall we start with expected GBP upcoming volatility this week?

Eesh. Scary times. Are you looking at specific pound pairs for this week? I’ve been bearish on GBP/USD for a while but with the USD weakening…

Oooooh. :open_mouth: This is very interesting! :smiley: Haha. I guess this is where you go during sudden drops or shifts in the market? :smiley: Haha. Definitely looking forward to discussions here! :slight_smile:

This is very awesome. I like the idea very much!! :grinning:

gbp bearish :point_down:

Are you planning to trade the Brexit news tomorrow? The markets will be going bonkers tomorrow.

2 Likes

BREXIT… of course, Who’s had enough of it! Well, I think the whole thing is going to be thrown out of the window. Great opportunities to cash in (with good stops and risk management). Personally I think that eventually the British are going to be given another vote. For sure the prime ministers deal will be kicked out. What’s next? There is just so much pressure from various people and groups asking for another referendum that it can’t be ignored.

So this is what I think will happen. Deal is voted down in parliament, big time. Therefore hard Brexit on cards, therefore £ down (hard?), therefore short £. Next political pressure reaches stalemate therefore new vote on the table, brexit deadline extended. New vote = £ up, go long £. New referendum leads to a remain vote as old leave arguments cannot be retold as most have not come to pass, therefore big jump in £ value… another 20% plus? or at least 5%? who’s up for some volatility and hectic trading?

I’m in.

Yes, count me in.

In summary

1 Like

GBP is suppose to be rising in preparation for the fall. Why is it falling??

Was expecting a roller coaster effect today.

If the vote does not pass and shows heavy defeat for Mrs May, then it shows government is not in control, therefore total uncertainty. The possibility of no-deal brexit is on the cards which means very bad economy, thus falling pound. Traders realising probability of vote not passing is very high, therefore bad for the pound. After the vote, if the possibility of another referendum comes into play and increases then that has the increasing possibility of the UK abandoning the Brexit, which is good for the economy and the pound will strengthen. Thus right now £ is falling (so too is the Euro).

1 Like

what was up with that 100+ pip pullback for most of the gbp pairs

My strategies don’t play nicely with big news events. I stopped all trading on Monday and am considering when to start again. I can’t help but wonder if the markets will respond wildly if the PM or any MPs make a speech about Brexit tomorrow.
Anyone else holding off on trading until Wednesday or later?
When do you think it will be safe?
Personally, I might just sit the rest of this week out.

I know, I expected it to continue down, but I exited my short position just before the vote, I realised it would be too volatile, so just pocketed what I had. Turned out to be a wise decision. The news articles trying to fathom why it shot up don’t seem to make head or tail of it, I think it could just be that the market ran out of sellers…

2 Likes

There is a vote of no confidence in the government coming, so there should be wild volatility. There could be a new government, possibly with no clear leader or winner, a sort of grand coalition, that could really stir uncertainty as the future would be totally unclear. I think it will be wild for weeks, if not months to come with cable.

Good points… decided to drop my risk on all GBP pairs to minimal for now, but resume all other pairs as normal.
That possible no confidence vote tomorrow has me a little worried. Going to keep a close eye on it…

@Quadricolor I done the same as you, got out around 20 pips before it shot up. Makes me wonder just how many shorts took their profits and ran around the same time. Could explain the price rise. All thinking the same thing :thinking::joy:

Anybody get today’s newsletter and doing something with EUR/USD?

Here’s the chart Big Pippin showed:

Thinking of hopping in with a long trade. Anyone else?