Weekly Discussion [Week of January 21 - 26, 2019]

Thread/topic started a bit late! (U.S. holiday getting in the way, sorry about that folks!)

But welcome all to another trading week! In case you’re looking for content to check out for this week, here’s a #shamelessplug from @ForexGump’s Weekly Forex Outlook for January 21 - 25.

Here’s last week’s discussion thread if you’d like to check that out.

For those who were in last week’s thread, welcome back!

For the new ones here, welcome! Here’s a mini guide for you:

What is this Weekly Discussion Topic?

We wanted to have a place where people can discuss the day’s events without having to create a new topic or potentially derail someone else’s. It’s more time-based and the discussions will be more loose and easy for anyone to hop in to write a quick question or comment.

OK, so what can we talk about?

• Anything related to this week’s events. If it happened the day before, that’s fine. As long as it’s still within this week’s events, you can discuss it here!
  • You can talk about general news, trading-related news, etc.
  • Technical analysis, trading ideas, etc. that’s applicable for this week.

Do the forum rules still apply?

But of course!

So yes, you still have to be respectful to each other, silly. Here’s the link to our forum rules for your reference.

2 Likes

Very kewl,

toady you might have noticed the volume left the market early on, wh?

because in the US it is a national holiday (MLK day) which includes the banks and markets shutting down.

I was caught with several open trades and will need to wait until the next session to get them closed.

Solution, pay attention the news and holidays.

Indeed! Maybe in the next weekly discussions we should add a small section in there if there any big holidays that might affect the market, too!

Well, US might be on hols but in the UK its verbal warfare in the house of commons… as the commoners go head to head with the government… ie, the commons MPs (the citizens representatives for the government) vote on how to get past the Brexit deadlock. There is pressure growing for a second (or technically; third) EU referendum. If the referendum passes as an option there is good chance that the Brexit could be called off. personally I’m going long on the pound, being doing loads of research on this one. Anyone else bullish or bearish on the pound? Also taken a long position on the EURUSD as per the discussion last week: Weekly Discussion [Week of January 13 - 19, 2019]

Already taken one small position at first sign of respect of this lower trend line but possibility of increasing the position if price breaks past the right resistance as indicated by the blue arrow:

Anyone else eyeing this one?

1 Like

Me thinks your a bit early on this Bullish call.

1. its still going south on the day chart.
  2. DXY is still heading north
  3. CCI is still showing pretty good bearish momentum.!
  4. PA is still on the north side of the 200HMA
  5. PA on the 21HMA is quite Bearish
  6. I am currently in bearish positions for these reasons.

Yes, I was early (still trying to work on my jumping the gun tendencies), however I made a very small trade. I’m looking for a PA break of the (short term) trend resistance (orange down slope trend with blue arrow), similar to your 21 HMA to put a further small trade. This is a counter-trend trade I’m setting up, so quite risky as the trend is currently down. DXY is still bullish, but my momentum studies are signalling early weakness with divergences, again this is a riskier type of trade I’m doing, so the position is small and the stops are quite small and I have risk mitigation in play. On the fundamentals I think the risk of the US government extending the current impasse is quite a lot larger than has previously been factored in, therefore I’m also adding this fundamental aspect into my analysis.

Quad, I don’t trade with indicators, but I do use the TVC chart for show and tell, once a trader is planned
I will drop down in time frames or not but I wait for the next candle to confirm my plan unless that has already occured and then I will wait for a pause to jump into the price action. Is it perfect? no but I do have over an 80% win ratio.

80% is amazing! So you use mostly price action and candles for confirmations?

Quad, That is correct only a few patterns and candles, on my trading charts I do keep a 21 HMA and 200 HMA on it to maintain the horizon.

I’m a bit lazy so I use the same strategy from 5M to 1D however on the higher time frames I will review S&R for the white space on the lower time frame I keep position in with a view of the major trend ERGO I stay heavier on the trend side than on the reversal/minor trend. I used to have a much higher win ration but relaxed to trade longer term and allow more winners longer by increasing my stop loss.