What about the Unity?

Totally agreed.

1 Like

Scots got the worst of deals:

Voted to still be part of the UK and by proxy were kicked out of the EU.

2 Likes

The trouble is, the EU doesn’t want Scotland without the rest of the UK. The Scottish economy is not big enough to matter, and by accepting an independent Scotland the EU would encourage other seperatist movements within Europe.

The EU made this pretty clear during the Scottish referendum, and I can’t see any reason for them to have changed their view on this.

2 Likes

Things are changing.

I dont think scottish independence would be any role model for other seperatist movements in the EU as it first took the UK to exit the EU and basicly (view of continental europeans) selfdestruct itself with that move- for scotland going an independant way.

Spain for sure has no ambitions of leaving the EU so a chaos spexit as a catalysator for catalonian independence is highly unlikely.

In fact spain has good reasons to support a scot. Indp. Movement in the form of gibraltar could follow scotland and join the EU.

Spains only concern about brexit is gibraltar, everything else plays no role for spain.

Same goes for the republic of ireland, would support now a scottish ind. And a rejoining in the EU.

What was true in 2014 isnt true anymore in 2019 with drastically changed circumstances.

hmmm… Scottish MEP and member of SNP (Nationalist - pro independemce) was given a standing ovation by EU Parliment members immediately after the UK vote to leave.

Mr Alwyn Smith asked the parliament "not to let Scotland down. "

Scottish MEP given standing ovation in EU parliament – video | World news | The Guardian

1 Like

Seems the prospect of remaining in the EU is the leading force behind the shift in scotlands independence ambitions.

https://www.ft.com/content/bcefb732-bf41-11e9-b350-db00d509634e

I’m English, in England. Can I vote?

As this is a matter that affects the whole of the UK and the principle of the UK, it would seem only fair.

1 Like

If that logic is applied then in the 2016 brexit referendum kids starting 14 should have voted and people 50+ could not be allowed to take part in the referendum.

In the 2014 scot ref everybody was allowed to vote, even english living in scotland and people from EU who lived in scotland.

In 2016 brexit referendum nobody in the UK from any EU country was allowed to vote.

Maybe in the 2016 brexit referendum the entire EU should have voted? It affected them as well.

But i find it highly ironic that what the UK did to the EU will maybe be done to the UK by scotland.

Even the numners can be compared. Uk beeing bit more than 10% of EUs population, scotland beeing a little less than 10% of UKs population.

Just with the difference that behind the bexit thing was mostly lies and xenophobia, not the idea to have a better future. In scotland its the exact oposite way.

Lol, there is a growing sense in N. Ireland that we will get to vote on a United Ireland post Brexit.

The political correspondent for the Irish state broadcaster today commented ,

Something fundamental has changed.
Politicians, civil servants and academics are now discussing the potential for entirely new arrangements on the island.

He further commented,

In the past, the topic was regarded as republican stargazing - now it is being taken seriously.

These comments from mainstream media are reflecting what I spoke of earlier, the shift in the status quo.

Why the laughing out loud then? - I can imagine the reaction if England insisted on having a vote since it affects them :slight_smile:

1 Like

The question thou is: will england have any voice in this at all?

As scotland and NI are aspiring to be in the EU (after a possible split from the UK) it seems to me that brussels will be having more weight in their voice on the procedures of “how”, considering it is solely a matter within peoples of the EU, not the UK anymore.

Yeah, their ‘voice’ is in the form of a ‘Secretary of State’ - (a member of the cabinent in Westminister and usually English for the NI job)

The current NI SoS (that’s how they label it, I kid you not) is Julian Smith, English - he has the last say on whether we get to vote.

(The SoS for Scotland is Scottish but has to be a member of the ruling party -.ie. Tory)

The good thing for my little country is that the EU have confirmed that when we break we will have automatic entry back into EU.

Must find that little glass moji :slight_smile:

1 Like

Scotland can’t leave Great Britain, no matter the laws.
Ireland hasn’t left Great Britain completely…

How come they cant?

Because it’s a short ferry to get to Wales from Ireland and Hadrian’s wall is no longer possessed by the Romans.

Maybe italy should make a referendum and demand the wall back?

1 Like

Wrong way round - it’s just that Britain hasn’t yet left Ireland completely - but it will :slight_smile:

Everything points to that outcome. More and more clearly.

Edit: before the brexit referendum they said that a brexit would be like shooting yourself in the foot. Now it feels more like it was a headshot.

1 Like

EEk - Plagues of Black Locusts is it ?