What about the Unity?

Good entertainment, but the the reality is most businesses are stockpiling - good business sense.

Now having said that there was stockpiling before:

Aye 'tis true - but sometimes we just are not competent to foresee all the consequences of actions in sufficient detail to be free of the resultant inconveniences !

Wow. Things certainly have accelerated here tonight.

In all seriousness, I do not want a vote as to whether any of the UK countries should remain in the UK except England, as I am English and live in England. Its a matter for the citizens of each member country to vote on, not the rest of the UK. I’m happy for all 4 countries to be guaranteed a vote every year on 1st January on this if that’s the right way to do it. But having left, every remaining citizen of the UK should get a vote on whether the departed can come back in.

Mate it is possible that the Catholic Church’s instructions on birth control and abortion will mean they out-vote the Unionists - in the fullness of time and in the fulness of time the North of Ireland leaves the Union.

But I’m pretty sure the Scotch, the Welsh and the Cornish - will decide to stay under the blanket.

However, that’s up to them and if they want to go their own way - so be it !

It is WAY too early to even start thinking about this stuff until we have the “discharge papers” from our prison though.

If’n they want to volunteer to be reincarcerated - who’s to stop them ?

But Nay - once they decide to leave - it’s NOT a question of an option to return every twenty minutes - It’s JOB DONE !

Yes. Its for many years been a fear (realistic or not) in NI that Catholic families would out-produce new prospective voters and they eventually would swing the balance in a new referendum away from UK membership and towards unification with the Republic. Well, as a non-Northern Irish citizen and a firm believer in democracy rather than imperialism, I say fair play to them. If the majority in a home country want out of the UK, its not up to the UK to force them to stay in it.

1 Like

C’est la vie - but in honesty, the birthrate in England has dropped to nearly 1 per couple and there are all sorts of population dynamics which may change the voting / ethnic composition of our country - who can say for certainty ?

All we can do is make our decisions on the basis of what is prevalent at the moment.

We are undergoing a massive evolutionary experiment at the moment - and all we can do is Evolve - Adapt - overcome.

I’d say, given the circumstances you to alude to - if the Unionists want to leave and stay “British” - welcome them over here with open arms !

1 Like

That station called North Ireland is probably going to keep it up for a while.

Ireland can’t leave Britain, it’s right behind it.

In other news - IrishBorder today a silent archive video, filmed by British Pathé, was published.

It opens with the text: "The seat of all the trouble! First pictures from the much debated Ulster Border."

The year was 1924.

That border, having been rendered invisible, is threatening to be the seat of yet more trouble.

Perhaps NI people had hoped that the UK Govt would at least give some thought, perhaps even care a little - they have declared numerous times that Brexit does not mean a hard border - I actually convinced myself that this was true.

Then I read that all the time they were sitting on a document which they commissioned and then had marked ‘Secret - need to know basis only’. This now leaked document, code-named YellowHammer informed the Govt that a hard border is ‘inevitable’ under no deal Brexit.

Worse still iYellowHammer warns of civil disorder when border communities respond with “direct action” and road blockades.

Michael Gove, a UK Gov minister charged with preparing for no-deal came over to NI last week. He told us all would be rosy at the border - either he was not aware of YellowHammer or it was just lies.

Jeremy Corbyn speaking in Ireland 2009 - Minutes around 2.10 to 4:30 to hear him speaking !

Who cares what corbyn and farage talk.

Nobody cares about what they say today and even less so in 2009 :rofl:

Theyre not the people in charge. Their words are worthless.

Farage asks “do you trust Jeremy Corbyn?”

I don’t actually trust any UK politician right now.

1 Like

And certainly you are right to not to.

If there is one thing to learn from the last few years of UK politics (starting with Cameron) then that UK politicians would burn down their own country only to hold on to their seat. Theresa may was probably the only exception in that.

I agree with you on that - but why limit that to "uk politicians " ?

sorry for my late reply.

fertilityrate has nothing to do with catholic or other christian groups.

as you can see italy, spain, portugal have the lowest fertility rates in europe. while france (catholic), UK, sweden, finland have high fertility rates.

in-country comparison you can see that germany has the same fertility rate in north and south, but germany is divided by 50/50 in the north beeing protestants and the south catholic.

it is pure state politics/social politics if a fertility rate is high or low.

the stance of the catholic church against abortion does not produce more children, it also doesnt produce illegal abortions- it simply makes people better in prevention of unwanted pregnancies. something which with todays technologies is very very easy. - so a ban of abortion is more than justified and reasonable.

the true reason why the NI protestantic population is decreasing is that they move away out of a economical weak region into other regions which offer jobs (republic of ireland, england).

Well I don’t dispute what you have researched. As I said, this was a belief in NI by the NI protestant community or at least some of. Not my belief, and I have no connection with the NI protestant community.

But even if they are now proven wrong on good demographic evidence, their mistaken belief is still a partial explanation for some of their subsequent actions and decisions. And I’m speaking of a belief that was expressed in the 70’s, during the Troubles over there, its nothing I’ve heard recently. But as that period and the immediately preceding years will still be a major factor in NI politics for years to come its still relevant.

1 Like

Yes i remember hearing in history sources (or reading) that in the US/UK there was the same believe/fear that the catholic population would become majority by population explosion. But it never happened. Among other things, It was due to media influencing the population to have as little children as possible. Children got replaced by dogs. Now we pay the price by massive immigration to compensate for the lack of children (future workforce).

Contrary to popular believe, imigration doesnt come from globalization, it is the direct result of low fertility. Especialy in countries where the pension system depends on the available work force in the form of a generational finance transfer union.

It’s the ‘right now’ part of my lack of trust. @MrDE mentions hanging onto seats - he’s right only change ‘seat’ to ‘power’.

Most recent example is this morning - the UK PM releases a statement referring to the NI backstop as “undemocratic”.

This is a PM elected by less than 0.01% of the electorate - who refuses to countenance changing the existing border arrangements at NI sea port thus removing the need for a backstop.

Why? not because a recent opinion poll in NI returned a majority in favour, not because a majority of NI political parties are in favour.

It is because the DUP are against and the 10 DUP mp’s keep the Tory Govt in Westminister in power.

Paradoxically ‘what about the unity’ - the supposed pro union stance of DUP+Tories is damaging the union in NI and likely hasten it’s break up.

2 Likes