What actions should a trader always avoid?

What actions should a trader always avoid?

Avoid moving your stop loss further in loss.

That’s the first BIG mistake I see traders making.

When the trade doesn’t work the first thing they do is remove the stop loss or extend it messing up their initial risk management.

That’s rarely a good idea.

If a trade is wrong, just cut it.

3 Likes

Trading is such a free field to operate in that it’s possible to find a rational reason for doing absolutely anything. A trader can only list the things he never does, but someone else might be doing these and making money as a result.

The things I hate doing (but sometimes do…) -
stop-and-reverse
tightening the stop-loss
doubling down on a losing trade
buying at a new high close

3 Likes

Avoid trusting everything you are taught. Check for yourself. Research multiple sources. Work out as much as you can by yourself.

2 Likes

Trading in a market environment like the one from last week, too much volatility.

Interesting! :open_mouth: Hmm. I’m not really credible enough to tell others what they should avoid. But personally, trading right after a win (when I’m super excited and somehow on a high) has never really worked for me, mainly because my emotions tend to get the best of me. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I totally agree with you, thanks.

thank you much appreciate

I totally get that! It’s so easy to get caught up in the excitement after a win. Thanks for sharing your experience—it’s a good reminder to stay grounded and not let emotions drive our decisions.

Avoid making (emotional) decisions based on profit / loss / equity / account balance.

Establish a process and never deviate from it, decisions should be based on the price chart, technical analysis, fundamental analysis, macro changes or whatever your process dictates.

2 Likes

And the patience to adhere to the process.

2 Likes

You should always avoid trading without a solid strategy and not sticking to it. Emotional decisions, chasing losses, and over-leveraging are big traps for traders.

1 Like

A trader must avoid impulsive trading. A trader must also learn to train their eyes on how to spot the difference between high probability and low probability trade setups. A trading plan must precede your actions in the charts.

1 Like

And also avoid the pitfalls of taking random trades.

1 Like

Yeah, emotional decision i’m dealing with actually, thanks for the advice

Develop a solid strategy, thanks for the advice

thanks for the advice

Yes, patient help trader to make informed decision and minimize risks.

With patience, I’m all about smart decisions, not quick thrills. It’s like having a superpower to avoid risk and focus on the long game. Stay calm, trade on!

1 Like

From my experience, one of the biggest mistakes a trader can make is letting emotions take over. I’ve been there seeing a market dip and feeling that surge of panic or getting overly excited when things start to rise. But every time I’ve let emotions guide my trades, it’s led to regret. It’s so important to stick to your strategy and not let those short-term feelings dictate your decisions. Trust me, staying disciplined pays off in the long run.

1 Like