What Every New & Or Aspiring Forex Trader... Still Wants To Know

I had this all marked up and was waiting for this to unfold but was asleep when it happened – around London Open:

Price hits OTE based on fib drawn from yesterday’s low to high providing confluence of 1.635 institutional level, S1 Pivot, OTE, and ADR low. Price then shoots all the way up past R1.

EDIT: it shot up to R2! and this is Cable on the 15min. you’re looking at

LOL guys, you are fast…

Here is my own: MantaFX.com - FOREX Pub

Default Period Settings: TimeFrame = 10080 (change to 43200 for monthly zones, if you want to display weekly and monthly together, simply attach indi to a chart two times and change TimeFrame settings.)

Indi is based on Pivot Points - Daily (Shifted).mq4 code ****ed up by Manta. A lot… :slight_smile:
Original indi is here: Pivot Points - Daily (Shifted).mq4 - MQL4 Code Base

I took that demo only for 30 pips - but a couple of remarks - isn’t it more prudent to wait for a candlestick confirmation off the OTE? After all, we are waiting for huge moves, and would prevent getting tricked on big moves like the bull rally on Monday.

i guess a candlestick confirmation would lend further support/confirmation to an entry-- but if you look at the candlestick at the OTE it’s a pretty solid hammer, also signifying a potential reversal to the upside (which is what took place). However, even given this, I tend to trust candlestick shapes more on larger timeframes (i.e. over 1 hr TF) than smaller ones.

This is brilliant observation PipBit, Im working on something similar. Actually whole my trading is based on “the point of change”. Thanks for sharing your indi. I dont have enough time now and dont want to spam ICT thread with things which are not related to his teaching, but for sure I will take a closer look at this stuff during weekend.

Well spotted, but notice that the ADR low is drawn to the low of the day as soon as the ADR is fulfilled, so you won’t see that when it’s time to enter the trade :slight_smile:

I was up 120 pips with my trade from yesterday when price decided to bounce right off the equilibrium level hehe. Unfortunately I wasn’t at home and able to manage my trade and as I said yesterday my target was the ADR Low, so I set my SL to BE + 1 and TP to 150 pips. Lost everything on that nice trade ;( But I could grap a partial winner on GU in LC (I nearly have to say as usual :))

greetings

good point about the ADR mate. however, I still would have entered if I was awake since it was confluence of:
a) London Open
b) 1.635 institutional level
c) S1 pivot level
d) OTE

Maybe I should get more familiar with Orders :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear about the trade that went sour, but the market’s always around and I’m sure you’ll pull something out soon. It would be great if there was a way to scale out of trades without having to do so manually in front of the screen…

Wish I had taken the usd/chf short OTE at london close instead of the cable but hey next time, three losers in a row and still :~}ing

Hm I took the GU in LC an got a partial winner out of it - how did you manage it? And the move USD/CHF wasn’t the typical move we would expect to occur in LC :slight_smile:

Did you short GU at LC to get a partial winner? I’m curious as to what your setup was, because I was looking for a short at LC but nothing popped out at me… if you have a chart/description it would be helpful. thanks

I had to set it and leave it as I was not able to stay and watch, after going through 4 piviot zones and ADR done the time of day was about right so set my orders and had to go. If I was able to of watch I hope that I would of left it alone but who knows.

Did everyone else notice the profile on today’s action?
Any similiarity to the template I shared?
Did anyone else have a position that was held into the LC and or 1800 GMT?

Wow we have over 200 new members and a few more seasoned veterans in our poll… sweet, sweet… super sweet. :wink:

I celebrated my son’s birthday today, he’s a Teen now :o … which leaves two more toddlers to go. :57:

Yep, what a beauty! There was some justification for going short at LO, but the overall COT bias is pointing higher. This coupled with the fact that Tuesday’s high at 1.6475 was much too cleanly aligned with the highs on Aug 1st and 8th, and the fact that there was a clear SMT divergence at 79% retracement in the later part of kill zone which should have gotten people long. If you want to throw the new TT tool into the mix then you will see price bounced off the higher part of the sell zone in late NY trading on Tuesday, and pulled back down towards equilibrium for London Open on Wednesday. You can’t forget the mighty Pivot Points though: We were in the BUY zone making entry at S1, which, was smack on the London Pivots, and 10 pips off NY S1! CONFLUENCE!! The upper band of equilibrium was also bang on the New York S1…and if that is not enough confluence already, the institutional number was .6350.

That is my reasoning for the picture perfect market profile that ICT outlined and which we saw yesterday. Price came down in Asia, took its first leg up in London morning session, a further leg up at NYO, and then profit takers stepped in at 18:00GMT. Its just a pity that it was my tenth wedding anniversary yesterday and my wife wanted to pull me away from the charts for the day!! I say ‘pity’, but some things MUST take priority over trading :slight_smile:

Best regards
Ali

P.S. Why did price stop where it did? Well I don’t know how everyone else is doing with the Monthly and Weekly Macro Pivots but they have always come out with strange values on my platform. I plot all my weekly and monthly pivs manually using the excel spreadsheet on the first page of the thread and this latest high hit Monthly R1 to the very pip. It was also fractal high on April 21st, and was long term support on the dollar index at 73.40.

Good morning.

Let’s start with S/R. Prior LO we have an Asia tested PDL on EU and Asia low which has confluence of S1 and 00 on GU. So the support part of our pattern is solid.

After that for pattern to be valid we should have some SMT divergence. Well it did diverge just before shooting up so that’s solid.

For the last part it did stop at LC which had key resistance. So it was picture perfect LO, well at least almost. What didn’t work was the entry. Of course this is all hindsight but we can still debate on possibilities.

1 GU OTE from PDL to PDH, well it worked but sweet spot entry should have a stop of 60 pips so not that great.

2 GU OTE from Asia low to high. Stop within preferred 30 pips, low was breached but not enough to take stop out, and it did move to high before slamming down so some pips on the table at very least BE. This sound fuzzy and worm, but there was no prior this entry SMT so not a pretty picture fit.

3 Cover the semi failed entry 2 somewhere near 1.6400 after SMT.

Would like to hear other ideas to this “picture perfect” day especially in entry department.

PS. Some templates for NY session would be nice bonus.

Morning,

Let’s look at GU:

I agree that the stop loss would be far too big if you were going with the sweet spot entry, but do you remember the video where ICT pulled his Fib from different fractals? Start with your Fib on the PDL, and pull it up to each and every fractal low that was formed the previous day, and tell me if you don’t see the following:

PDL fractal: 79% retracement at 1.6355
NYO fractal: 100% retracement at 1.6346
Next fractal low: 123% retracement at 1.6355
London Close fractal low: 162% retracement at 1.6350 etc

Confluence of Fibs with all of the other factors I mentioned would have you entering at 1.6350 area knocking around 18 pips off your OTE sweetspot entry. Stop Loss at 1.6320 under PDL and there you have the 30 pip SL you are seeking.

Regards
Ali

Hi Ali, the thing that bothered me the most with OTE is those god damn fractals. It seems that you can always find a fractal in hindsight that would work perfectly. The problem I see with this is that if you have a solid low or high, basically a V form it stands out so much more than a fractal, therefore it provides a better support than a fractal that came after the low. So if you agree with that you should also agree that a stop 10 pips bellow fractal is not as good as 10pip bellow the real deal.

PDL fractal: 79% retracement at 1.6355 yes solid OTE
NYO fractal: 100% retracement at 1.6346 turtle entry
Next fractal low: 123% retracement at 1.6355 123? That’s like psychological level of extension? Still entry from that is something very new to me
London Close fractal low: 162 retracement at 1.6350 Something more familiar but still entry from something beyond 100 retracement is bizarre.

My broker has low at 6318 probably spread thing checked it with netdania and its off by some pips but still not really bellow PDL rather just on it.

Wow!
I go away for a couple of days & find myself 10 pages behind, new indis everywhere & a 3 1/2 hour download for the latest ITC pro traders vid! :o

Good to see you back Manta! Oh & thanks for the new indicators,
Now I better get cracking, feel way outta touch with you guys now

Oh & I almost forgot, Thanks Michael for the vid & Happy birthday to ITC Jr, 13! :50:

Psst don’t tell him he’s a teenager & he won’t do the rebellion thing :wink:

I think I follow what you are saying regarding the support, but the SL yesterday would have been below my PDL which is in itself solid support, and was part of a bigger retracement within the up move. I would not solely key off any of those minor fractals and their Fib retracements…the more important confluences all came in around 1.6350, and those Fib confluences were just an added bonus. Anyway, it is all hindsight now like you said, but it is interesting to see how the tools can be used for future reference.

Regards

Thank you, Manta! I was just trying to get my head around the SMT …

Was just at chart not planning on trading and saw this trade with reasonable level of support for a bounce and OTE,don’t know if it was news driven or not but went to make a coffee after taking of 5 micro lots leaving 3 in,returned and saw my T/P hit for 80 pips,missed big trade of day and if I’d played the bounce on my T/P which was strong support could have caught the big move back up.
On a side note ICT what are you looking for exactly on the swissy position trade to enter,I see it has multiple nesting OTE’s and strong potential support at the figure(80)and presume with the cot data and weakness of dollar right now a good chance for another leg down?

Cheers

Jeff