What Every New & Or Aspiring Forex Trader... Still Wants To Know

InvestorX,

I was also waiting for an entry at LO, specifically a short on cable due to resistance on the 4HR timeframe, but didn’t come up with anything. I was monitoring GBP/USD at LO KillZone which is 07:00-09:00 BST. As nothing materialized during this window, I didn’t trade. However, I see that around 09:30 BST - a half hour AFTER LO KillZone - a potential OTE opportunity unfolded. This was the move I was looking for as it had the following confluences: previous day MR1, current day pivot (which is a weak factor), institutional level of 1.5720 — only if it had unfolded a bit earlier. Anyway, the killzone was lacking, but there’s always tomorrow. Posting a Cable chart after the fact.

Matty there isn’t really much of a difference in the calculation between GMT and EST. Learning to trade is like a craft, you use tools that other professionals use in your own unqiue way. Some like the GMT and some like EST and some like whatever their broker is set at…there is no wrong way to pivot :59:

So I’m basically freaking out over nothing?:smiley:

Alright, I just didn’t want to be working on the wrong time frames and have that throw everything else off line.

Thanks for the clarification.

Matty

Is it also a similar situation with the take profits? That’s one of the other things I don’t have a great grasp on. It could be the 100% fib when placing the 50% at the swing high, it could be 127% or 162% when placing 100% fib at the top of a swing, it could be a previous S/R level, etc…or at least those are all things Ive seen on the thread and in the videos. Are there certain situations that ABSOLUTELY determine how you should determine your TP, or is it just one of those “gray areas”? Thanks

Matty

Hi Matty,

When it comes to pivots just toggle from GMT to EST to your brokers… Usually the price action will clearly be respecting one set more than the other.

With profits, it pays to split your trade into two or three parts. If your trading LO then you could reasonably expect price to move 140 pips as a rough average for the Cable and Fiber, on a trending day, or if you expect a larger range day look for 200 pips+. Pull up some pivots and look for price to hit 4 pivot levels including the mid levels.
As ICT teaches, 30 pips first profit, next profit at 100% fib then reach for 127% fib. Often the 127% level will come up just before or after a pivot. Or close to nice round number like 50 or 100. I aim for the option i consider safest and most likely to get hit :slight_smile: And if you really think its got legs let it run to 162%

When i trade the NYO i often find a point of entry, then fib up the day as if was trading LO and use those targets rather than aim for 127% of my smaller NYO fib. Just depends. There are’nt really any situations that absolutely determine how to take profit because every trading sessions a unique event. You gotta freestyle :wink:

Ive been shifting the killzones forward a bit as the daily high/lows have been coming in early during Asia and the NYO about 2 hours earlier than normal over the last week or so.
So I took a short early NYO on the fiber at CPP but it only went 55pips instead of my 60pip target (ofcause) and got out at BE.
Like ICT, keep an eye on those reoccuring patterns at certain times and try them out.

Wally

Thanks Hunter. Very helpful.

Nice Wally. I also saw the OTE unfolding but thought naa this is way to early, Tuesdays OTE came early but yesterdays OTE was just ridiculous. I actually keep a mean time I update whenever there is a NYO OTE whether i trade it or not and it hovers around 09:00 EST, but it is interesting to note the “shift” we have had lately.

Hi guys, I was just trying look AHEAD at a possible GBP/USD short tonight (instead of just reviewing previous data like usual…) and was wondering, if this is valid, which place would you all consider entering.

Here are my trade reasons:

[U][B]1st option[/B][/U]

• Daily, 4h, and 1h fractals all indicate MF down
  • With the strong down trend, I’d expect the daily high to form in the first 4 hours after NY midnight, during the London open and then retrace lower
  • Fib from previous day NY session high to Asian session low OTE has confluence with ADR high (1.5613), previous day S2 (1.5628) and institutional level (1.5620)
  • sell limit order at 1.5615

[U][B]2nd option[/B][/U]

• Daily, 4h, and 1h fractals all indicate MF down
  • With the strong down trend, I’d expect the daily high to form in the first 4 hours after NY midnight, during the London open and then retrace lower
  • Fib from previous day Asian session high (slightly before actually) to low OTE has confluence with institutional level (1.5500)
  • sell limit order at 1.5497

I would project that if the trade is valid, TP 30% at 30 pips and 30% at 100% fib of asian high to low and let the rest ride to the 161.8 extension which has confluence with the 1.5400 figure and with previous support at 1.5403 (the last time price was this low - on Jan 7th).

Whaddya think? I think the 2nd option seemed more likely with how far price would have to trade up to hit the OTE in the 1st option. Anything else I should be considering here?

EDIT: sorry the 2nd pic is smaller…don’t know why that is.

EDIT FOLLOW UP: So I ended up taking the 2nd option trade and it looks like its panning out :D. Going to bed now, gonna check it when I wake up and post pics.

Perfect :slight_smile: Well done!

Wish I got it, I took a short of the retest of underside of PDL +30.

Wally

I traded well today but wanted to post this picture from the GU for Discussion purposes only, I DO NOT advocate you doing this. This is to merely demonstrate the repeated pattern that ICT is teaching you to use.

So the GU and the EU both feel more today and it may have been hard to find a good entry but they were there. The GU was better structured than EU so we’ll use it as an example.

At London open we had a good OTE entry if you drew your fibs from US close to Asia low. GU tried to retest the high and failed sending the currency further lower and basically setting the tone for US open.

The picture is the GU on the 5 min chart so you can clearly see what I’m going to discuss. My pivots are GMT +2 simply b/c that’s my brokers time and I find they work for me very well.

Today’s US trade possibilities: 5 - and 3 of those are with trend.

First trade A. This is the US open trade around 8 am and my main trade which netted me 50 pips. EU and GU both sliding; during Asia GU made new lows which is not typical for Asia. Bias was short. I drew a fib (purple one) and noted that the bounce off the GU low was at the Daily S1. I drew another fib from the top of that bounce back down (not shown) and was ready to short. PA did not reach OTE entry but instead rejected off the 50% fib for 8 5m candles, this screams to me there isn’t further up action while EU had made a new low and retracted to the 79% fib line at the exact same time after having slide through it’s pivot like a hot knife. Trade short entered.

At (point B) 53337 I have marked a monthly S/R, if you look it provided support back in Jan/Dec and before then too, a strong s/r. This was also the 1.618 ext point from the London move and 21 pips above the S3 pivot. Lots of different reasons why this would be a stopping point. I’m a bit jumpy when watching a trade so I watched it go to the 1.278 ext and start to struggle. I took my pips profit at this point left nothing on but suspected afterwards that it would test that s/r. After I took my profit it melted down almost instantly, the market spanked my emotion :mad:

PA pretty much halted there and Eu similarly stopped moving down as well. So we have correlation. From B-C you could have traded the S/R bounce, but this wasn’t an OTE entry. You had to determine for yourself if you wanted a s/r bounce trade. But notice at the bounce at C it shot right to an OTE entry almost touching the 97% (yellow fib A-B). This was an immediate second opportunity to trade OTE shortly after 9am which is still strike zone. If you missed the first shot you had 4 other chances to enter the OTE A-B trade which was a trend trade.

A counter OTE trade occured on the retest of the monthly s/r rejection. PA didn’t quite make it that far down but notice PA did trend into OTE entry zone (Green fib C-B). Remember one lesson is to buy in the face of a falling bull candle, here’s your chance. A 30 pip SL would have protected you and been well beyond the lows of that S/R. Still a tenuous trade given the short momentum.

Finally we have our 3rd US OTE entry. PA again shot straight up to OTE at point E (White fib drawn from C-D). This one you had to be quick on the draw and have your order placed. Another trend trade and you have a good idea where potential ultimate TP was located (1.53370). As I type this and not shown PA did go back right down to that S/R and bounced.

So we had 3-4 OTE with-major-trend trades available today, one counter OTE and one counter s/r rejection trade.

I took an OTE and I took something else that isn’t an ICT method which was profitable. Out of the with-trend trades which would you have taken and why or why not or did you not see these setups and what did you see instead?

Someone post a 5m of the Euro today and lets go over that. There was some interesting things occurring that gave hints on how to trade it and a nice OTE as well.

So as I mentioned in my last post, I took my second trade option using the Asian session high and low to draw my fib. Was filled at #1, took 1/3 off at #2, another 1/3 off at #3 (100%) and the rest came off at the 161.8% (#4), just above the figure 1.5400. When I woke up I saw that after bouncing nicely off of the 161.8%/figure, it did eventually retrace down and touched the 261.8%.

In retrospect, it would have been nice to ride price down to the 261.8% but I don’t know how I would have accomplished that. A trailing stop would have to have been more than 50 pips to not get triggered by the bounce off the 161.8%. If I were awake I probably would’ve taken less pips overall. My thinking being, if I didn’t have an auto TP at the 161.8%, I probably would’ve manually exited the trade sometime as it was retracing back to the 100%. So was there any good way to have taken advantage of the full swing down to 261.8? Or should I have just done what I did, and (if I was awake) then taken advantage of the two OTE that presented themselves before the last big move down?

Finally, can anyone tell me what happened with that gap in the circle?

Thanks for reviewing this stuff. Can’t tell you how great it is to have a place where I can learn from others and get feedback.

Matty

Matty, great analysis and I like how you posted your anticipated entry before the move unfolded. Excellent work. I’m sure you were very happy to wake up with those profits! I see that you marked the 100% high of your fib before the Asian session and I’m curious as to why you decided to pull the fib from there as opposed to other swing highs. Is it because it would have provided a good OTE confluence? What I often struggle with is trying to identify the best swing high/swing low to pull my fib from. In some cases it’s a particular session’s swing high to swing low. In other cases it’s PDH to PDL swing high/swing low. Sometimes it’s just a random swing movement right before a killzone. Anyway, great job with that trade.

As for the gap you’re trying to understand, I don’t see that gap in my MT4 platform. It could be a slight glitch where your platform didn’t update entirely or something. I’ve seen this happen on demos - are you on a demo? If so, I wouldn’t worry too much. Often times it’s because price moved very fast from one candle to the next causing a small gap due to it not updating.
EDIT: Actually, there is a slight gap in my MT4 platform at that time as well (it’s a demo).

As a side note, did anyone catch the London Close long trade today? OTE had good confluence of S1, 50 institutional level, and countertrend (long). Posting a visual below:

Thanks sladhaFX. Yeah I was excited to see that my trade panned out. It was my first demo trade that I’ve taken really using ICTs methods and it was great to see it work out so well. And yeah, I think demo mode was the reason for the glitch like you mentioned. As far as the fib goes, I’m probably not the person you wanna go to for advice being so new to all this, but my thinking was just that that was the only real “good” swing high after the big drop from the NY session…and probably cause it lined up nicely where I wanted it too :wink: Would like to hear other people thought this was not in line with what ICT teaches, or if they have any other thoughts. Thanks

Matty

I don’t think there is a right or a wrong here - it gave you a strong confluence in your directional bias at OTE (I think I answered my own question actually!). Good luck in your future trades.

yes, I caught the LC today with the Cable. the first OTE came quite early so I did not take it since bad things usually happen when entering too early! I did enter at the LC killzone OTE. Strange day today, Fiber offered multiple OTE’s so I made a small, late Killzone trade on that one as well.

No picture but today’s trade was on the EU. We had a nice move up overnight due to some rumor on China and the EU breaking below 1.3500. PA traded overnight using 3500 as a support shelf with daily pivot right below it. During pre-us PA moved below 3500 towards another monthly s/r at 3420. At this point we have confluence of Daily S1 (NY), monthly S/r and the 79% retrace. Trade entered at 3422 on the bounce, which GU also bounced off it’s pivot point at the same time for OTE entry as well which was a nice related confluence factor.

Trade triggered and moved immediately to +57, I set SL at +40 pips and retrace took me out for a total of 40; PA retraced 27 from the high point before continuing to test 3500 agian. Sorta hate that I missed out on 3500 test but being a Friday and a higher TF counter trend trade I’m okay with this today.

I note we did not make a new low today compared to yesterday and with 3500 broken and being fought I think we’ll see some give and take here going into the weekend.

I note GU was a nice OTE trade as well with pivot + OTE + strike zone + Eu confluence and 1hr s/r support. It went almost straight to retest the highs created in London. Both were good trades with minimal drawdown if entered using OTE method.

Hi!
I’ve entered today on cable ,short at 1.5453.SL 50 pips,Tp 50pips,risk/reward 1:1.
My broker is on GMT,PivotDailyMacro on EST.
Reasons:
-MF down
-found an OTE of fib between PDH(previous day high)and PDL(previous day low).I took profit at 1.5403, +50 pips :)!A better enter was marked with a circle.
-found a bearish divergence between fiber and cable.
One trade per week,0.5% risk!
Would really like to hear your thoughts,comments,suggestions!
Have a nice weekend!:7:

The trade looks ok but did you just enter into this trade. There is only a couple hours left till market close not sure if now was the best time to enter a trade like this.