What Every New & Or Aspiring Forex Trader... Still Wants To Know

Looks like I have a completely different take on today than most. I’m long on the cable.

First, I’ll post my analysis for my bias for the day. Then my trade entry analysis.

Bias for the day: LONG on CABLE

NOTE: Images should be clickable to bring up a big chart.

First off, I admit this goes against the sell program and the guideline that the high is put in by Tue LO, then we move down. I understand that concept, but I am focusing on developing the discretion with trading instead of trying to follow mechanical rules.

Reasons to be long.

1. I posted a version of this last week, but the 1.5380-1.5480 level (depending on how you draw your line) is a major S/R level extending back several years. It has been broken a few times. But it has been respected many times. We touched this line 4 times since the end of September and never had a weekly close below it.

2. We now have a fractal high on the weekly from the week of dec 18. This fractal high was only a 38% retrace of the swing down. We haven’t breached the 50% retrace mark. I’m somewhat expecting a retrace to this level. Looking back over weekly charts, it appears that significant range expansion occurs after a significant retrace. (I think several sites and theories talk about this as well). We had less than a 50% retrace of the most recent swing down, so a large downward expansion is suspect to me.

3. I acknowledge that the fractal high is now established for the week of December 18 and we are in a sell program. Using the videos from ICT, in a sell program, look to go short on the 3rd week after a fractal high forms. But as I said in number 2…I’m somewhat suspicious of this retrace. Also, we have a major SR level that we are dealing with which could form the basis of a short term upward move.

4. I am longer term bearish and think the sell program will continue. At least down to about the 1.4800 level which is a 78% retrace of the LTL from May 2009 through the APril 2011 LTH. It will be interesting to see if we get an move higher from there as a long term position move.

So…those are the reasons from a weekly timeframe analysis to be suspect at this point. I do anticipate a move up the the 1.5900-1.600 range as a counter trend (This is the OTE for the most recent swing down), then move down for range expansion to the downside.

Now…I do not trade this on a day to day basis. Just long terms thinkings rumbling in my head.

On the daily…

1. We had a fractal low form using Friday’s daily candle if you use Sunday candles. This is the third day after the fractal low, so it is reasonable to expect today to be an up day. We did have a fractal high form on Tue last week on the 3rd. The third day after that fractal high was down, which formed a new fractal low (Friday’s action). So I was expecting today to be an up day in a counter trend.

2. The AR established 4 hour market flow to be up. As well as 1 hour being higher as well. So being long is trading with short term market flow even though market structure is short. I am entering this as a scalp…not a swing trade to hold more than today.

Again…I recognize we are in a sell program…but the question we need to ask ourselves is where do we think price will go over the next few hours. With the long term SR level still around this price, and the fractal low forming on the SR level, I think price short term will go up.

Now, for the zoomed in 15m entry.

Look like a classic buy day just before the NYO when I was doing my analysis. Small move above the AR, judas swing down to the CPP. Swing higher, retrace. I entered at the OTE at 1.5462.

I did a TP at 30 pips with 30% of my trade. When LC started, price started to come back down quickly, and closed the remaining 70% for an 8 pip gain. In hindsight, I didn’t have to close it as price didn’t reach my SL. But its OK. Rule #1…preserve capital. and I still made over 1% on the trade.

I do note that today’s high is running into a confluence of resistance. Today’s R1, Friday’s AR high, and the 1.5500 figure. I will be anticipating a move up to the 1.5520 level as a possible Judas swing tomorrow (1.5520 has been a level generating a lot of support or resistance historically.). ANd potentially down for the rest of the week following the sell program.)

GLGT

I think the midnight to 5 am session is meant to be GMT. Michael used that for the asian session indi because his mt4 was on gmt and the pivots also.

Btw, regarding the market hours, i found this link somewhere in this thread:

Forex Clock | Forex4Noobs

I am quite sure ICT said something similar to…

I live in NY so the new trading day starts and ends at 5PM EST (00:00 GMT 17:00 EST). New week starts Sunday @ 5PM EST.

Regarding the 5 hour Asian Session, the indi is set for Midnight GMT to 5AM GMT - (17:00 - 22:00 EST) and used as the yardstick for measuring the Judas Swing. (Exploring The Asian Range video)

Watching the price action today…I’m thinking more and more we may be developing the sell program week. I know this contradicts what I posted below…but I am not tied to my belief and will trade what price tells me.

Today is a small range day for both pairs (at least so far). About 50% of the ADR on Cable and 75% on Fiber. Price on Fiber has gone up about 130 pips from Friday’s low. Cable about 110.

Looking at this 15m chart…there are 3 periods of bearish divergence today. It appears to me that there may be bank accumulation of short positions today to engineer a move down lower tomorrow and using this upswing to get retail on the wrong side of the market. Also, if price continues to consolidate throughout the day today, there will be juicy places for a judas stop raid tomorrow to get the final liquidity for a move down tomorrow.

3 periods of divergence on the 15m chart.

SMT positioning for tomorrow?

7pm ET is 0:00GMT.

I think what he’s said is “my trading day starts at midnight NY time, or 5am GMT)” when talking about pivots.

When he talks about the AR…said in yesterday’s livestream…“I watch the AR from 7pm ET to midnight ET”. That is 0:00 to 5:00 GMT.

For Sunday opening, I’m pretty sure he uses the 5pm sunday ET (2200 gmt) to establish his opening price for the week. taking into consideration the gap over the weekend.

HoooooWEEE! My “lost son” is safe now :stuck_out_tongue: Well 50% safe to be more accurate :stuck_out_tongue:

Good lord…about 80 posts today since midnight.

Good work guys. I guess our goal is to be full time traders, and babypips thread readers.

To put that in perspective…out of 9730+ threads on newbie island…only 49 have 80 replies of more.

And this thread has that in 1 day. A top 50 thread in 13 hours.

This is what I am watching for as well. I have a Resistance level I am watching on Fiber at around 1.2850 (I think matty44 has the same level shown in a chart a few pages back). I am not trading but watching this level tonight in case we consolidate up and perhaps have a Judas swing right up to it and then down during the LO. This would be consistent with the sell program as well as putting in the high of the week by Wednesdays LO. I know ICT says the High/Low is usually put in by Tuwesday LO, but I believe he also mentioned it could come by Wed LO.

Thanks for all of your posts, folks, but I don’t think we are getting anywhere! Yes, these are the times that he uses but what I am interested in is the logic behind these times. The Asian Range start is not the start of the true Asian session, and the Sunday candle open at 22:00 is not the start of the trading week. I can’t accept that he uses these for convenience sake (F**** Ltd platform limits any other logical start times), and so why?

Regards

The “asian range start” is 0:00GMT…start of a new day. It is in the middle of the true AR…but shift your kill zones. This period is like the NY period after LC. Generally pretty quiet. Also, ICT has said 0:00 GMT is when banks reposition prices and do rollover. Depending on location of open positions, and carry interest paid, the banks know what they need to do if they paid out more carry interest than received, or if they’ve made money. ICT has talked about 0:00 bank repositioning as the reason for choosing that time to start his analysis of the AR.

In terms of Sunday…that is the open of the candle. If you use a broker that doesn’t have sunday candles and rolls sunday data into a monday candle, the open price is the same. Reflecting price activity over the weekend.

would like to hear ICTs take on this also since I’ve wondered about that too. Especially asia close. Maybe it’s just that he has found these times to be best from experience? Even these may not always be the optimum though. Look at today’s Eur/Usd Asia range and instead of using 5am GMT, Use 4:30 am GMT as your cutoff and then the following price action makes more sense. The big MMakers may not always adhere to a specific time. They may kick things off later, or earlier.

I am pretty sure this is the answer I am looking for! Thank-you, sir.

Okey. Right there. What program do you use to put two two pairs into one chart? Its super handy tool! Let me know plz. tytytytyt

Why did price stop where it did today?

I asked myself the same question…then I extended friday’s Asian Range forward to this week…and got my fairly obvious answer. Both Cable and Fiber.

Talk about a golden nugget.

This. : )

OverLayChart-MA.zip (9.42 KB)

Unzip the indicator in your [MT4 root]\experts\indicators folder. Shut MT4 down and restart.

Bring up a chart of either GU or EU. Insert the indicator. If you want the overlay to show a line chart, set the "show MA’ parameter to true. If you want candles, set the “show candles” to true. You can have both set to true if you want.

For SubSymbol, you need to enter the symbol name of the pair you want to overlay. I.E., if you brought up a cable chart to insert the indicator, your subsymbol is EU.

Some people have had to play with the subsymbol to get it right. If I recall correctly, many had to put a .m at the end if they trade micro accounts. or remove the .m is trading standard account. Also…I think some had EURUSD as the pair (what I do for FXCM while others may have had the slash or dash between the pair names). It can take a little tweaking to get it.

This way, you can get candle overlays or line overlays.

Another nice tool to add later thanks

Has anyone asked why the equilibrium point on Fiber has been where is has been today??? (There have been far too many posts to keep up!) 05:00 GMT…ICT’s midnight…open candle…Fib drawn from high to low…1.2780…:wink:

Golden nuggets!

Yep…AR high for both pairs. combined with SMT divergence throughout the day today (As I type this, a 4th divergence may be forming if Eu drifts a little higher).