What Every New & Or Aspiring Forex Trader... Still Wants To Know

yes mondays and tuesdays are probably the most important days, at least for swing traders, if that’s what you mean

thanks stevod

I got an email from a forum member who is a participant on this thread, asking me to update the table of ICT Kill Zones, to account for the daylight saving time changes which occurred between late February and early April.

It’s a simple matter to update the table for the LO, NYO and LC kill zones. But, the Asian Kill Zone continues to cause confusion (as does the Asian Range, and the Asian Session, itself).

So, I’d like to find out what times you guys are using for the Asian Session, the Asian Kill Zone, and the Asian Range.

And, most important, I’d like to ask Michael to weigh in with some clarification on these times.

Here is my attempt to sort out the confusion surrounding Asian Session times.

If you’ve watched Michael’s videos titled Exploring The Asian Range, and Trading The Asian Session, you’ve learned that the Asian Range (00:00-05:00 GMT), the Asian Session (7pm-5am EST), and the Asian Kill Zone (6pm-10pm EST) are three different things.

Note that these three time periods are stated in terms of two different time zones, GMT and EST. And, regarding EST, we know (because he told us so) that Michael refers to New York time as EST year-round, regardless of daylight saving time. I believe that he also refers to London time as GMT year-round, regardless of daylight saving time. But, I’d like to ask him to clarify this.

So, there’s a lot going on here, which is why some of us are confused.

We tend to focus on Japan as the big player in the Asian Session, even though we know that 6 or 8 other countries are active in the market during the Japanese trading day. For simplicity, let’s just use local times in Japan (Japanese Standard Time, JST=GMT+9) in the following comparison.

Here is a table of Asian Session, Asian Range and Asian Kill Zone times, as Michael has defined them in his videos, shown in five different time zones:

So, two questions:

For Michael — Do the times shown above match what you intended in your videos?

For the rest of you guys — Do the times that you use in your particular time zone correspond to the times shown above? And, if not, how did you choose the times that you are using?

(I guess that’s three questions.)

After we get these times resolved, I’ll post that updated table of ICT Kill Zones, which was requested.

Edit: If the times shown above are correct, then the table of ICT Kill Zones posted previously in Aaron’s thread
(The Wolf Pack thread) contains errors: all the Asian Kill Zone times in that thread are off by one hour.

After we have resolved the questions raised in this post, I will edit the table in Aaron’s thread, as needed.

I have been trading on the Mondays and i have seen that markets have good movements as the weekly closing gives a fresh volatility and trends to be seen.

Clint,

Your times match what I am currently using, including the shifts for DST… for what it’s worth.

That said, I have recently decided to completely omit the asian kill zone from my trading. I found I was frequently burning up all my trading energy chasing 20 pip moves… leaving myself burnt out for the better LO and NYO setups. I know there are good swings that setup in the asian kill zone, but I really needed to have some dedicated “free time” during the week (since I’m still workin the J.O.B. :wink: )

and to be really specific, in case anyone cared, the exact “No Entry Zone” is 1PM EST-1AM EST. (This also means I don’t trade the Sunday Gap anymore)

easily the best thing i’ve done for my trading this year.

Traders, I want to receive an answer on my question. What is the difference between scalping and swinging? Sorry, for my ignorance. I’ve read articles about swinging, as far as I understand it is also a day-trading. What’s the main difference?

QUOTE=Paul Monson;341893]Traders, I want to receive an answer on my question. What is the difference between scalping and swinging? Sorry, for my ignorance. I’ve read articles about swinging, as far as I understand it is also a day-trading. What’s the main difference?[/QUOTE]

think you might be in the wrong forum if you’re looking for info on “swinging” :slight_smile:

So my trade today
EUR/USD Short @ 1.3140
Reasoning:
Just under an OTE
divergence to the GBP/USD
LO, Judus pop above the Asian Range

Ran up and took me out.
20 pip stop to small? Went up to 3170 on my feed so 30 wouldn’t have helped
or did I just get this all wrong?

Did anyone else see this as a possible trade? If not, why not.
Any help would be welcome!

As I understand it (and this could be wrong):
[B]Scalping[/B]: looking for 20-30 pip moves, usually in and out of the market within a few minutes or hour (Scalping | Which Type of Trader Are You? | Learn Forex Trading)
[B]Day Trading[/B]: All trades are opened and closed within 1 day, usually within 1 session - can get moves of 100 pips or more (Day Trading | Which Type of Trader Are You? | Learn Forex Trading)
[B]Swing Trading[/B]: For the most part these are the large moves you see when looking at the daily charts. Often lasting for weeks and moving 1000’s of pips.(Swing Trading | Which Type of Trader Are You? | Learn Forex Trading)
[B]Swinging[/B]: Something couples do with other couples.(no info in the babypips school!?)

I am now using the times that you state above, but I would also like clarification on the issue of whether ICT uses GMT and EST year round. I have my Asian Range starting at 00:00 GMT and finishing at 5:00 GMT, my NY ‘start of day’ exactly at the end of Asian Range at 05:00 GMT, and my NY Pivots also starting at 05:00 GMT.

Nitsuj I saw the same setup unfold and got short in GBP/USD at 1.5900. Obviously I was wrong. However, I dont know why it went the other way. If anyone could explain that would be awesome.

Hi everyone.

I also took a similar trade and was stopped out 4 pips below the high. I think that the move higher than yesterday’s high was quite predictable as SM raided stops. So the entrance should have been 10-15 pips higher from yesterday’s NY session high. :frowning:

P.S. Still struggling with my positive results consistency and my fight for that is far from over yet I guess!!! I think I should go over those videos once again :s…

Also entered GU at 1.59 and stopped out. That Assian Session retracement didn’t look like a bull flag to me before I had entered. Now it looks more clear and due to ICT projection GU has already reached it levels after breaching the bull flag range. There was also news factor for such GU move (CPI data).
I hope I’m right in my opinion.

Also took a similar trade on Fiber and got stopped put by a few pips. I was looking for an OTE at LO but there is a higher time frame OTE from the high on 12th April and low on 15th. Sweet spot short was around 3150. Also noticed a reflection pattern on the 15 min chart that more or less nailed the HOD (so far at least!). I find it very difficult to anticipate the reflection patterns in particular. Roll on LO tommorrow.

34 pips profit at moment on cable, moved SL to BE and locked up 30% of position

let’s see where it goes in next 1 hour, then i’ll close it

The Asian Range is the only one of interest to me as I don’t trade until London Open.I use Asian Range times of 00:00 to 05:00[B] London[/B] time all year,simply because ICT references it as starting at London midnight and finishing at NY midnight.
As you say Michael doesn’t seem to worry about differences caused by Japan not using DST,but I guess that’s due to him focussing on the London and NY sessions.

Out of interest when and why did you open your trade?

How are you playing the Asian range?

thanks Dom