What Every New & Or Aspiring Forex Trader... Still Wants To Know

Good afternoon, Clint (just about, for you, early sunset in the Peak District, for me),

Thank you very much for the insight, interesting stuff, thank you, also, for the link to the previous thread, that one had slipped under my radar. I am pretty up on UK politics, but have largely only studied US politics from afar, barring a period a few years ago when my wife lived in the US, so am always interested to hear a US perspective.

I used to work for the UK Government a few years ago, and can tell you that I used to look around the Department and see a lot of fat that could have been trimmed from the bone there, too. One of the many reasons I moved on after my ten years in and sought pastures new.

From everything I have read and heard I completely agree with you about next week being a fresh week, I will be trading on Monday as normal. I just avoid the really key news days, I see this as a long-term game and to make that work I like it to be steady and predictable. Which for me means avoid the days when the politicians are arguing!

As you say, the Forex market can jump at nothing, helped along by the rumour machine and a few journalists keen to grab oneā€™s attention with a headline, so for me it is easier just to take a day off, particularly with the sun shining as it is today.

And we have the same proliferation of ā€˜non-essential staffā€™ here in the UK, too - I used to see the overall budget (including staffing) for a major (by our small UK standards!) Government Department and it would make a civilianā€™s eyes water!

Anyway, have rambled long enough, thank you for an interesting post.

Temp

ahh, ICT tools and common sense, nothing else. No magic or something similar :16:

Just one trade this week, and I was happy enough with the haul to call it a week on Monday night. At this point in my development Iā€™m considering anything above 30 pips to be a wildly successful week. Have a great weekend everyone! Spring has finally come to my city of ice and snow and I think Iā€™ll be enoying it! :wink:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

London Close: Week 3 results (The third ā€˜fullā€™ week that I have monitored from Mon-Fri)

Trades taken: 0
Percentage profit/loss: 0% (of course!)

What is the point of a write-up? Well those figures donā€™t tell the whole story. This week has been abundant with learning opportunities, and I really feel that I am further down the road than I was this time last week.

Monday: Nothing set-up up on my charts even though I waited patiently through the full 3 hour kill zone.

Tuesday: Those that were outside of the ADR were way outside of the range, and as my write-up on Tuesday suggests, I was reluctant to trade at these levels. The Tuesday Cable set-up that I was monitoring was an excellent learning opportunity for me in terms of self-control. If I see this same set-up again, and I am confident that I will, I will know a third time around that I donā€™t want to trade it. This time I was unsure, next time I will definitely let it pass. On a positive note, it is great for confidence to see something that you have seen before, recall your past experience, and see it play out again in the same way.

Wednesday: After 2 sessions and 6 hours of seeing nothing, I am beginning to get a little restless. I think this is the feeling ICT wants us to experience, and wants us to overcome. It is at these times that you tend to jump on trades that arenā€™t really A+.
Luckily USDCAD sets-up, and I put in my Limit order only to see it get missed by a fraction of a pip, put in railroad tracks, and shoot up to my TP within 10 minutes.

Thursday: It is now getting towards the end of the week and I have seen only 1 positive set-up. The previous 2 weeks that I have monitored from Mon-Fri, 15:00GMT to 18:00GMT saw much more action than this, and I am beginning to question my ADR and the LC. I toggle the ADR between different starts, compare ADR levels with others, and am generally restless. Just as I toggle back to my original ADR settings, I notice I have missed 3 set-ups! I was monitoring these pairs as potentials that hadnā€™t quite met their ADRs, and I think if they had not played out so quickly I probably would have caught them. The fact is, they retraced 20% and came back to OTE all within 10 minutes. All three were JPY crosses which is no surprise given the current events and the way the Yen has been trading.

Friday: By final day I am resigned to the fact that this is a ā€˜learningā€™ week, and I am just happy to have witnessed 4 potential set-ups. I note Fiber as a potential, but word on the street is that things are going down in Washington, and I am happy to leave the week flat.

I netted 5.5% in my first two weeks of trading the LC, and if I am still at that level after 4 full weeks then I will be happy. No, it is not what other traders might be easily pulling in, but it is enough for me to make a living. If and when I leave the day job, I will have enough capital to support my family with monthly returns of 5% or over. In that respect, consistency is my major objective, and self-control is the holy grail.

Have a great weekend folks. I will be enjoying the annual cherry blossom party, which is always a license for debauchery, but will be more so this year given the fact that the Japanese will undoubtedly want to escape current reality.

Hi Guys,

Sorry Iā€™ve been quiet for so long. Just moved into a new job and itā€™s been pretty hectic.

Just wanted you to know that though I havenā€™t been posting much, I have been lurking around here. Kudos to all of you. Looks like you guys are really starting to get a hang of things. I hope I can start freeing up more time to get more involved again.

In the meantime, I have been practicing or rather developing my self control. Iā€™ve made it a point to watch the markets but not trade even though I see setups forming. After a couple of weeks of this, I have really started numbing myself to the market. I really donā€™t feel the urge to be ā€œinā€ the market all the time at all. I guess it helps that I also have a lot of other things on my plate. So for all you guys trying to ā€œkillā€ the urge to trade all the time, I suggest a hobby or something to occupy your mind. It really makes it easier to control yourself as you arenā€™t thinking of the markets all throughout the day. :slight_smile:

Now I just have to work on increasing my win %. I guess this just takes a whole lot of practice! Iā€™m just gonna hang in there. Iā€™m sure it will eventually become clearer :slight_smile:

Good luck to us all :smiley:

Trade from last night and this morning
first trade - Tymen BBDNA entry for a 15 pip scalp.
Trade 2 - OTE - Used Fridayā€™s Pivots. Price at MR1 (sell zone), 78 fib from last swing up on Friday afternoon, 78 fib from most recent swing, price had bounced off 1.6390 a few times in recent past. TP at 30 pips. Did not enter more than one amount since not in the ā€œkill zoneā€ of 2am - 4am EST.
3rd trade just entered - OTE - Price had been going long since London openā€¦looking for change in sentiment at NY open. Price failed to break above previous high at 1.6370. entered at 78 fib - step away for a minute and it had dropped to the 61 fib and entered there. Setting TP at 20 pips since I can not watch the screens today. Stop at 1.6370

Thanks
Jack

Hey guys, wanted to share a losing trade I took today.

Attempted a London Close on the Cable when price was rejected at the MR1 level and the full figure 1.6400. ADR was hit, OTE was present as was kill zone time 10:35 EST. Entry was short 1.6395 and the market quickly showed me how wrong I was.

And to keep my self honest, Iā€™ll share why I immediately entered short again at 1.6404 right after I had been stopped out.

If you take a look at the 1 hour chart, (also 30 min) MACD and Stochastics put in a bearish divergence between the high made on April 6th and the high made on April 8th. The 1.64 figure is also the March high and preceded the 450pip drop straight down to the 1.5950 level. On top of that, the lows made on the 4hr chart on March 28/29th (which I believe was essentially stop running) look eerily similar to the highs we just made on April 8th and today. Just my opinion though. Could be dead wrong.

Edited to add 1/3 out at 1.6350 and stop to B/E.
Final T/P hit at 1.6300

I have pending order for long GU from 6350.

ā€¦and Iā€™m short fiber from 4460 with target 4405 + spread

Northerntouchā€¦
I canā€™t see anything wrong with your set-up (Pivots, Institutional number, some resistance from Friday LC at OTE, resistance on the high from Friday open) but that ADR level is 30 pips lower than mine which is why I didnā€™t trade. Once again the mysterious ADR throws us a curve ball. ADR start time?

Default settings. I donā€™t mess with anything.
My server time is EST.

I donā€™t expect to win every trade. This one went against me.

My ADR high shows 1.64123

i took the same one for same reasons =(

My ADR high shows 1.63971

When they are closely layered and or the previous day or [days] Pivots have not been traded toā€¦ this spells C.A.N.D.Y. setupsā€¦ sweet.

:35: Awesome! Very nice trading. :cool:

Manta you are a beastā€¦ :wink:

Good Evening, Morning, Afternoon folks!

ICT PTC online on the first post of this thread.

GLGT :wink:

Mine was at 1.64223ā€¦so flabberdous was half way between the two of us! GMT+1 ADR.

Hmm, GMT ADRā€¦

Not really sure what to make of GU tonightā€¦ price has been moving down away from the central pivots, moved slightly past the support at 1.6280, and market flow is down. I think Iā€™ll look for a scalp from outside the ADR towards the central pivot. If no trade Iā€™m confident in presents itself Iā€™ll sit on my hands :49: