What Every New or Aspiring FX Trader Wants To Know

How far back do you keep logged data on your charts?
By that I mean not only Pivots.
Is two years enough in your experience?
Do you recommend logging ExtremeS3 = S1 & ExtremeR3 = R1?

Thank you.

PS: I aim to serve Filet Mignon. :slight_smile:

I have my reference charts that go back to 1998

you can do a lot with just 7-10 days. Dont get carried away but more on this later.

Did you forget you were using your ā€œotherā€ screen nameā€¦:D.

Hello friends,

Reading some of the material presented in this post, has allowed me to finally visualize key levels at which trading occurs, and make educated decisions about my trades as a result.

I am excited to test out this new trading methodology, but at the same time must balance my excitement with patience until my identified key levels have been reached. Luckily Iā€™m at school for the majority of the day, so not near the screen for much of the day. :slight_smile:

I just wanted to share an insight that I recently observed which helped me to plot support and resistance lines with greater ease.

The majority of traders here will no doubt be using Candlesticks on their trading graphs, due to the information which they provide about price. [B]However, they can sometimes distort the price action, which is why it is much easier to identify support and resistance levels using line graphs instead, as these do not distort the price action.[/B]

I have found this helps across all time frames I have looked at so far, and I believe the clarity which is displayed, has finally allowed me to plot quality key levels in what tends to be a somewhat subjective area.

Thanks in advance for everything so far,
xXTrizzleXx

Hi Trizzle,
Do you use the line graph just for ploting the lines, then go back to using candles/bars for the rest of the time?

Secured this name for future use.

Are you related to the yahoo group with the same name?

Mine goes back to 1990. Do you tweak your current levels if you find price migrates around them since when you set them in the past?

@SweetPip

Yes, I use the line graph to plot the lines, and then return to candlesticks to look for possible retracements to enter into, as per InnerCircleTraderā€™s advice - [B]professionals love to trade a retracement[/B].

It is nice to know others see the value in line charts.

Bars with line ( or line with bars ) may be illuminating.

SweetPip, you were asking about the line earlier today.

The orange line was pointing down at the S1 PP mid point. The trade was entry short. I do realize how primitive this may seem.

Johnnypipster and others, sorry for the previous post, that was not my post, I was quoting from ICT but messed up with some buttons while trying to quote.

Apologies everybody for those who thought I posted those words of wisdom:D

oh god who is;

TheInnerCircleTrader, surely it isnt the man but a pale imitation, in fact an imposter

lucid, what is your purpose, why are you cluttering posiible the best forex thread on the net with you obscure and meaningless posts. Thats right theres an ignore button for you:)

@pipsnorter:

TheInnerCircleTrader is an account secured by the actual InnerCircleTrader, to prevent other imposters from making that account in future and fooling us - a prudent move to protect his reputation. Lucid as well as several others are posting their charts because that is how we are all learning from the thread, we benefit from the information shared by others, and in this case, SweetPip can have any doubts rectified. That is the modus operandi of such threads.

took this short of the retest of yesterdays low, and significant support resistance area the past week. Closed at 50pips, not good at running with it, and also we are below S1 and S2, in the buy zone

By travpip at 2010-03-19

i have a question ICT

my only concern i am having, is that we are essentially trying to pick tops or bottoms. I know we are looking for confluence but essentailly as i understand it is we buying into bearish bottom candles and selling into bullish top candles around the swing high or swing low for the day.

If you say that is OK, well i am happy with that, but as i undertand it, read etc, it is a dangerous practise - picking tops/bottoms.
i am unsure on this apsect of it - is that what we are doing?, or have i got that wrong?

Well, if you look at the recent downtrend in GBPUSD, there were plenty of opportunities for 30-50 pips to be made long on retracement of pivots, even though the trend is still down.

So itā€™s not quite the same as picking tops and bottoms.

Lol, spoken as if you know them both very well. I get a real sense of deja-vu here, but shall leave it there. There are some interesting concepts being discussed nonetheless.

Good morning all, hope everyone had a good trading week :slight_smile:

I just finished up my 2nd week trading my version of ICTā€™s methods, based centrally on weekly pivots. I trade the 6 majors (not NZD).

I thought someone might find it interesting to see how some genuine (live) trading results might look like for someone following ICTā€™s methods. My experience pales compared to ICT, 2yrs vs 15+yrs, so keep your expectations modest haha. Also Iā€™m not really interested in posting my trades at the moment, so these are for entertainment only I supposeā€¦:stuck_out_tongue:

Iā€™ll be posting my results as R-multiples. my R=2% account balance

Week 1: 2.69
Week 2: 0.65