What Every New or Aspiring FX Trader Wants To Know

There should be a sticky about this, do not ride two wheeled vehicles while in the middle of a authoring a tutorial thread, if I remember rightly Tymen1 was run over by a car while riding his bicycle shortly after starting his trend trading thread !!

Not to mention that Phil838, another 1000+ posts member, was in a car crash with a drunk driver.

Skilled FX trader = higher accident risk in traffic?

Surely someone, somewhere, ought to look into this :smiley:

Glad to hear youā€™re OK btw ICT! :slight_smile:

Forex disclaimers should also include the following warning like many medications do: [I]Operating heavy machinery is not recommended while thinking about trading[/I] :smiley:

Hope your recovery is quick :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=o990l6mh;177695]

Skilled FX trader = higher accident risk in traffic?

QUOTE]

High post count or skill ? I donā€™t know whether to be concerned or not.
Well most accidents happen within 5 miles of home. So Iā€™m moving.

:eek: Hope you get better really soon, take your time.

Hahahahahha canā€™t stop laughing :smiley:

Could somebody help me here?

Iā€™m confused about the pivot points. I checked the link ICT post for Dukascopy, then another one at Action Forex and they show different Pivot Points.

Also my chart is a mess and it shows different levels that I donā€™t understand.

Anyone aware of the difference? I mean I know they could be taking in consideration different time of the day, but they also show some different kind of pivot points like Fibonacci, Camarilla, woodle, etc.

Whatā€™s the good one to use?

Thank you.

all you need is your daily pivots, standard, that come out once a day, calculated around 23gmt, just use the ones at actionforex, standard come out dailiy around 0gmt.

Great, thank you!

Another tip i have been told and found is that when the new pivots for the day come out and price starts out above the central pivot point (CPP) then you would be looking to go long, and vice versa for short.
Of course this is just a hint

And of course you verified that using statistical analysis. You people are like lambs to the slaughter :smiley:

ā€¦

5pm to 5pm is the standard though isnā€™t it.

ā€¦

So to make absolutely sure I/we know whatā€™s the story is : -
[B]Daily pivots [/B]are done on the New York eastcoast time of midnight to midnight which is GMT -5.00.?
[B]Pivots[/B] are just plain old pivots not Fib pivots or Woodie pivots just plain old H+L+C/3 Pivots. ?
[B]Highs and Lows [/B]of the same midnight to midnight GMT -5.00 period are to follow though to the next midnight to midnight GMT -5.00 session of trading.?

Please tell me I got it right. Thnx
Wally

Thank you,

Iā€™ll calculate them manually today to compare them with the ones posted in different websites and the ones in my chart (previously adjusted to show the period ICT uses).

thats exactly what it is, statistical analysis, and thats why it shouldnā€™t be banked on 100%.

i have attached a good pivotline indicator for metatrader chart users.
It is set for timezone 0 being 5pm est, just put in 7 in the time box should make it midnight to midnight est.
also gives you the previus day high low and range.

pivotlines_timezone.zip (13.3 KB)

Ok, this is what I get for GBPUSDā€¦

R3: 1.5169
R2: 1.5091
R1: 1.5027
Pivot: 1.4949
S1: 1.4885
S2: 1.4807
S3: 1.4743

What do you all get?

Well i think it has alot to do with the time zone you trade in what time you are going to set your pivots at.
The forex day is generally considered as 5pm to 5pm est. You will often find that the price makes its way to the CPP(5pm) at the start of the asian session as these pivots are calc by the market makers.

Your pivots are naturally going to be affected by the time zone you trade in, and as much as weā€™d like too, none of us will be trading 24hours in the day. Price could easily be at S3 when the asian session starts if working on the midnight formula. Asian and euro is alive and kicking by the time midnight est rolls in, the market markers would in these zones be working to 5pm to 5pm est

You will find those trading the japanese session and the early european session will set their pivots at 5pm est. Just as the early european session will also be paying attention to the hi/low markers set in the jap session/as well as the previous day high and low marks when they come into play.
When new york starts up the pivots set at the time zone ICT suggests will have more weight for their trading day.

anyway with that indicator you can have one chart with 5pm est and one with midnight est(7) in the time zone value

didnā€™t you jump the gun by 15minutes.
but it is pretty much as the same as the ones plotted on this chart with the autopivot thing, set to midnight est.

By travpip at 2010-03-10

What do you mean?

Iā€™m using a pivot indicator I picked up quite awhile ago now. It has a few extra pivot type lines too which I can turn on or off.

I also add a few fibs here & there, and a gartley pattern indicator ā€¦lolā€¦chartsā€™r looking a little busy I know but I should have a lot of points coveredā€¦:smiley:

Hmmmā€¦would you say thatā€™s an inverted head & shoulders pattern?