What Would A Mentor Have To Do?

Yes, indeed - although for the first couple of years I did pay him, so it was not all luck!

Those names did spring to mind when thinking of how easy it is for there to be a disconnect between perception, reputation and reality. Dial in some ego and if often ends in a car crash, particularly if the underlying talent is itself not all that was claimed.

In terms of my wider presence on the forum thank you for the welcome, but I really don’t think that I will post as I did before the ICT storm any time soon, if at all. I have shelved plans for my own thread on the back of this, and have little to no interest in answering random question threads from newer joiners - I don’t have a myfxbook account, and when I have tried to post generic advice there’s just too much flaming and aggression these days for my tastes, I just don’t need it. I know I can trade, I can see that most around here aren’t profitable, I’m not here for an exercise in justifying myself to aggressive kids, and there are just too many, these days. They’re going to lose their money whether or not I prove my credentials to them, so I’ll pass.

So I’m a sort of partial returner: I’m not limiting myself to HoG’s thread, you’ll see me in others - Niki’s, for instance, I have rejoined this week - and some of the ones that might have a wider impact on the site (such as this one), but as for making hundreds of posts answering lots of small trading questions? Not any more, it’s a mug’s game.

I’m on a boxing forum, too, and on there I roll with the element who like to flame, knock, criticise, get their facts wildly wrong yet belittle others, deploy rudeness as a poor substitute for wisdom, all of that - it’s recreational and helps keep the place fun and lively.

On here, trading is my career, it’s what I do and who I am, I don’t have patience for the idiots, any more, particularly when they’re rude about it, so my head is staying firmly below the parapet on the unimportant threads.

Anyway, you asked whether I find the air cleaner so I answered but now let’s get back to the topic at hand!

ST

In all honesty if I make it as a trader, the thought of being a mentor on the Internet wouldn’t even cross my mind. I would mentor as many of my friends and family as possible, perhaps even give free forex classes to impoverished youth, but the best I am going to do for strangers on the Internet is lay out some nuggets of wisdom and maybe some basics of my strategies.

When I give to charity, I make sure my money is going to be put to good use. The same goes for knowledge.

I am sure there are people on BabyPips who will be successful traders in the future. These are the people who will give freely on the forums as for now they feel part of a community and don’t know how much better they are than the average. But the combative attitude and demands for proof make sure that such people will hesitate to post any of their methods or approaches. Once they become successful, we will probably not hear much from them again.

I expected such reply…:slight_smile: But I think that a mentor grows on you. If it makes sense what (s)he says and lights up bulbs in your head, you tend to listen to him or her more often. Over time, when not being dissapointed, it becomes more natural to take his or her advice. That doesn’t require myfxbook, for all you know he might be trading on it with a EA and you still try to learn from him as a trader. I think the myfxbook helps, but the relation needs to build up over time. That also applies to a paid service.

There are more than enough people that are helpfull to others and what they say make sense. You would walk around with a blindfold when you only value a myfxbook. But I get your point, I just don’t think it is the best strategy to select a mentor.

But each his own.

Interesting point about who you give your knowledge to, I haven’t thought of it like that.
But really, If people are going to hesitate, then that says it all don’t you think?

As for giving proof, if you’re gonna “talk the talk” then you’ll have to "walk the walk"
This is what I don’t understand here. If I was a successful trader (which I’m not at this point) & wanted to mentor for whatever motive, the first thing I would do is give some pretty darn good proof & throw up a fxbook profile!!! Seriously! That cuts virtually all the trolling out for a start & people will take notice!

If I was a crap trader (actually I am :wink: true!) & I wanted a following, I’d come up with every excuse not to prove it, like “terrorists will get me!” (Yup that one was for real)

It’s not going to be a foolproof magic bullet answer, but the last two “mentors” that came thru here squirmed when the acid test was applied & now you can see why :slight_smile:

I want to see the trophy case… Cars, house, yacht, golf course, handing turkeys out to the less unfortunate on thanksgiving, walking around handing out gift cards to random people that show persistence in bettering themselves…

*shrugs, i dont know.

I dont want a mentor… You cant be the leader of the pack, if you yourself have to look upon another human being…

Develop yourself into a Mentor, and take your most loved into your hands and lead them to the top with you…

Its just the way Im wired, dont hate, take notes my friends.

*Hat Tip

I mentor inner city high school kids. I do it because I was an inner city high school kid that broke the stereotypical mold.

Mentors give back because they want to. It has nothing to do with financial gain as it does personal and spiritual reward.

Thats awesome Bro…

Pic or it didnt happen!!:smiley:

I disagree. A mentor has to have already accomplished what you seek for yourself. It goes beyond mere knowledge.

A school of Business can give me knowledge of business. But a mentor can guide me through the implementation of a successful business that will encompass many areas of my life.

My mentor not only teaches me financial success, but personal success as a person. I need to grow in all areas of my life.

A teacher simply doesn’t have that capacity to do so. Now a teacher can be mentor, but they are few and far between.

Well, we can pick on the example given. But that was only to simplify.

But you said it right, it will GUIDE you through the implementation. Some are happy with people with the right ideas and the ability to correct you. You prefer to have a mentor with real experience. That’s cool. All I was saying that the experience is not essential to be a mentor, it is a big plus, but not essential.

You know hog I tried to record me taking live trades once before. The only problem I ran into was my live account numbers. I could not find recording software that I could leave it out without people saying I was just photoshoping my trades. Hell I could not even figure out how to black out my account numbers at all and thats why the videos never got released.

I could try demo but then you run into the same problem as its not live and most around here think if it is not real money its all BS. Plus there is not point in showinga demo trade being recorded live as then I could not trade it on my real account for the same reason already stated.

Not saying I am a mentor and ever desire to be one just stating the issue with recording live trades. In you try to edit it in any way you will be flammed and if thats the case why waste your time on being flamed by the same people you try to help.

Then it’s my argument that you have a coach.

Teachers provide knowledge without the need of personal experience.

Coaches implement knowledge without the need of personal experience.

Mentors implement knowledge with personal experience.

Same way Batman keeps making new Robins? Need to pass on what he knows. Need to take someone from zero to hero.

Wrong batman keeps making new robins because someone has to build the new batcave.

That makes sense to me. I see Coaches and Mentors as the same… I am glad that we covered that in the beginning of the discussion…:slight_smile:

Hahahaha… I see. I thought he always wanted to share what he knows. turns out he just wants someone to clean his place. Slimy bastard that batman is

But just imagine a mentor to inner city high school kids that still sold crack on the street corner and was facing heavy jail time for some robbery, assault and drug charges.
In forex, the stereotype and mold is to be a losing trader. You were selected as a mentor because you proved to break that mold. The people who allow you to be a mentor would not have allowed you to be one if you had not proven that, and the same goes for forex.

I have only proven it in words. Kids don’t ask you for your resume.

I always thought it was because he liked to have young boys dressed in tight green leggins around the house. Apart from that I never ever saw the point of Robin.

And having a sidekick in the first place always made me think that he wasn’t as good as heroes who went it alone. Superman just turns up and kicks your arse all by himself, but Batman needs someone to help him

When I first got out of school, I was not very good at my field. The ability to help others get better at something (really to convey the thought process) is a more rare thing than I think people realize. I was lucky enough to have one person who taught me how my brain should work when correctly applied to my career and any positives I’ve had since or might have, are thanks to encountering this fellow early on. Any failures, I own totally. However, back at the time, I was nervous, because the fellow had a temper, so when preparing work, I was always double and tripple checking things.

At what point should a student consider a mentor as real? I think it’s when the student can see at least some real development within themself. A good mentor elevates the performance of the protege.

Yo HoG… Batman is straight :58:
Now with Superman he had Lana or Louise. :18: