What would you buy first if you'd have a million dollars?

I would set up my own construction firm and go on a world tour.

3 Likes

Where would you visit?

Iā€™m practical, sometimes too practical. A million dollars doesnā€™t go that far these days, not in Canada anyways. I would still need to make the money work for me, and buying a new car is last on my list as itā€™s not an investment.

However, I would pay off my mortgage and my debts first, then make some necessary repairs to my house, plus a small addition. After, I would want to invest the rest, perhaps buy a bitcoin or 2, and top up my trading accounts and RRSPā€™s.

I am very thankful that I live in a country with good health care.

All I want in life is for my bills to be paid and my wife and dogs to have the best life I can give them.

1 Like

I wonder how much a little patch of land costs. I could buy a little land a few miles out from the town and have some trees across it. It could be like my own little park or nature reserve with paths and a pond and bushes and maybe a view across the local area from one corner. Like a garden but with just the local plant life - and little planting as such - no garden species at all. Very overgrown and natural. No structures and not much landscaping, just some paths and maybe a clearing or two to enjoy at different times of the day.

Brother and Sister in Law just bought such a piece Year ago. 18 acres rough pastiure - but with a wooded area about 3-4 acres at the far end. little stream for a boundary at the far end which dries up in summer - but he has machinery and is going to rip out a pond at the edge of the stream and they are going to put in a track through the woods for horse jumps.

Cost about Ā£180,000 - so something similar would be possible even without the Win ! :slightly_smiling_face:

PS - If you do that - Iā€™m wanting a commission - say 2 weeks camping in your wood - Iā€™ll bring the booze ! :wink:

2 Likes

Easy, I would buy villa in Cannes for sure! Itā€™s my dream to move to south of France and to live there.

3 Likes

Cannes is a fine place. I have stayed there and more often in Nice. Canā€™t wait to get back there.

1 Like

I would buy a super muscle car and put the engine into a piece of garbage 4-door sedan.

When you look at my car you would think itā€™s junk. So junky that youā€™d have to kick the door twice each time in order to shake the lock loose and open it. Youā€™d have to roll down the windows by hand.

But when I turn over the engine, it sounds like six 5.0 mustangs together!

No one would think to steal it because it looks so terrible on the outside. Meanwhile all the magic is concealed on the inside.

1 Like

iā€™d buy a skateboard, and live off the dividends hahaha

1 Like

I would buy back any counter-party risk in our current investments (i.e., long term loans)

A million lottery tickets

2 Likes

Most probably set up a larger trading system, go for a good trip and yeah put the rest in bank :wink:

Iā€™d buy a large and comfortable car, and go touring Europe with my friendā€™s wife.

1 Like

A nice house, car, a pitbull or two, and get a trading setup professionally done!!

Before making any rash decisions I may regret, I would first read The Millionaire Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of Americaā€™s Wealthy. I did read this about twenty years ago, and it was very satisfying to know that not everyone out there is trying to keep up with the Jonesā€™s. A great book for anyone who aspires to be wealthy. The true definition of wealth is to choose to do what you do because you want to do it, and not because you have to earn a living to eat and pay your rent. Unsurprisingly, a million dollars ainā€™t what it used to be, and I doubt anyone under 50 could actually retire if all they have is $1M in cash. However, the more ā€œstuffā€ you can do without, the easier it is to become wealthy within your lifetime.

3 Likes

1.Buy a cake and some balloons to celebrate.

1 Like

Love it ! Truly Falstaffian ! :sunglasses: :rofl:

1 Like

My university education first, all the way upto PHD level.

2 Likes

Now that is a good investment!

But a ticket to a month-long vacation to Europe. This oneā€™s on my list for years now. Oh and did I mention a solo trip? Keep the rest in the bank and wonā€™t trade again :wink: