What's cooking?

And maybe quite a lot of other stuff, too? :star_struck:

Side Note

By Nutrition Diva Monica Reinagel on September 1, 2018

ā€œNo human should be consuming milk after theyā€™ve been weaned from their motherā€™s breast,ā€ she wrote. ā€œIt is completely unnatural. Cowā€™s milk is intended only for baby cowsā€”and itā€™s cruel to take the milk away from the calves for whom it is clearly intended.

Milk Is Just Filtered Blood - Female mammals make milk, a cocktail of filtered blood, to provide their babies with vital nutrients.

Who in the world actually has kitchen drawers like this? Iā€™ve never been so someoneā€™s house and saw this. This would mean that youā€™re probably buying your spices in bulk, and you refill these little jars as needed.

But, then, who buys ALL these spices in bulk? Iā€™ve always had different sized bottles from different companies.

Unless, you buy your spices in small bottles, then just pour them into one of these uniform bottles.

How about this pantry?
imagen

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever been to a home that had a pantry. A long time ago I lived with some friends, and the apartment had a pantry. Those guys didnā€™t cook, so I took up the whole pantry. It was awesome. I had plenty of space for my pots, pans, all my staplesā€¦it was great. Iā€™d love to have another pantry.

But this kind of organizationā€¦I donā€™t like it.

If you want something, you have to move too much stuff out of the way. Thatā€™s how stuff falls and breaks. Especially that top shelf. It turns into a disaster. I lived in one house that had a deep pantry like a closet, and the shelves were so deep that it was almost impossible to find anything.

Narrow shelves are best because everything is accessible with minimal effort. Everything is visible at first glance; you donā€™t have to search for anything.

1 Like

The developers of ā€œshow-homesā€ who need to take photos like the one above? (That canā€™t be much of a market, though?)

1 Like

Right, and spice bottles are never that clean. haha

Sometimes your hands are a little messy when you grab for the dried rosemary. But some pictures are just for show. As much as we may want our kitchens to look this clean, itā€™s too unrealistic.

Looks great, though!

1 Like

These potato chips are something special. Iā€™ve had kettle cooked before, but thereā€™s something different about these. I donā€™t know if itā€™s the avocado oil instead of vegetable oil, but whatever they did, they did it right.

Theyā€™re crunchier than the other chips, and the flavor is delicious! AND theyā€™re non-GMO. Other bags of chips this size cost about $3-$4, but these are about $5-$6. For this kind of chip, itā€™s worth it!!

I love Siete! Iā€™ll have to try that flavor! Have you tried Popcorners?

2 Likes

This will only work if you have lazy Susans for all of them!

1 Like

Right, and that makes sense. But Iā€™d rather not even have that, if necessary. I want everything visible.

Thatā€™s my dream kitchen.

Iā€™d rather have a spice rack on the wall that can carry everything.

imagen

I like these hanging/mounted options more than a lazy susan. @ponponwei Thanks, by the way. I didnā€™t even know thatā€™s what they were called.

And call me crazy, but I prefer open shelves over cabinets, also.

I know itā€™s a matter of taste. But Iā€™ve had unpleasant experiences with cabinets filled with junk. Aaaargh! haha

How do you say no to this?! If youā€™re not convinced, just think about which is easier to clean: the cabinets, or the shelves? From which is it easier to retrieve something that hasnā€™t been used in a while?

If you have a cabinet, that thing is all the way in the back. How annoying!!

Iā€™ve seen those! But I didnā€™t think they would be very good. Are they worth a try?

I had no idea what to expect but I finished a bag in one sitting lol. Terrible. I will probably not buy them again for that reason alone hahah theyā€™re like a ā€œhealthyā€ Doritos!

Oh man I donā€™t think I can deal with that lol. I donā€™t like seeing whatā€™s inside containers all the time. I think it would look so cluttered! Would rather have just plain wood or whatever to cover things otherwise my mind would feel stressed seeing every single item :joy:

It works though if one leads a very minimalistic life. I try to do that but I just need my little trinkets and tools and random things whether snacks, new spice, etc.

1 Like

This looks cluttered?

Wouldnā€™t open shelves FORCE you to keep it more organized? Opening a cluttered cabinet would make me feel anxious every time. Iā€™d feel like ĀØIā€™m gonna have to clean up this cabinet someday.ĀØ Then, Iā€™d proceed to procrastinate for two or three years, until stuff finally started falling out. After that, Iā€™d be mad at myself for procrastinating for so long, and Iā€™d wish I had just chosen the shelves instead.

This looks cluttered to you? No way! Seeing everything is the point! It forces you to keep your kitchen organized and not hoard stuff. A cabinet gives you every opportunity to hoard and create a mess.

@ponponwei Have I still not convinced you? Iā€™m giving it my best shot, haha

1 Like

Unfortunately, on open shelves, itā€™s likely that dust will accumulate, and most probably grease as well (

2 Likes

How will it accumulate dust if the dishes and glasses are being used and rotated?

But if there are nice plates and glasses that you only use on special occasions, then I could understand your concern.

Iā€™m not sure where the grease will come from, unless the shelves are right next to the stove.

In the end itā€™s six of one or half dozen of another. You can clean your shelves periodically, or do heavy spring cleaning in your cabinets where you hoard stuff. Thereā€™s no way around cleaning! haha

This is a nice cutting boardā€¦

But for some reason, I like this one better.

Itā€™s solid wood. Iā€™ve seen different Asian chefs using this. Iā€™ve seen these cost between $150-$500. I donā€™t know what kind of craftsmanship goes into this, but it doesnā€™t seem like a simple slab of wood would cost that much. I still want one regardless!

One day Iā€™ll take my mobile trading set up with me to Asia, and just buy one off the truck!

How do you clean it though? Just wipe it down with a rag? You cut raw meat on it, then just wipe it with a paper towel? Some of these chopping blocks can get heavy, so I donā€™t think itā€™s something you just throw in the sink.

This article talks about the chopping block, the infamous clever, and more.

1 Like

This may seem trivial because this doesnā€™t seem to bother so many chefs. But my problem with the Japanese and Chinese knives Iā€™ve seen is the tang.

imagen

It seems that a lot of Japanese knives and Chinese clevers have partial tangs. I prefer a FULL tang.

It doesnā€™t seem to bother Japanese chefs at all. So why should it bother me?

Honestly, itā€™s just my preference. Perhaps my preference is nonsense. It probably is. But, I like what I like.

What a nice set of knives. And to think the tang is just a few centimeters long. It seems disappointing to me. All I can think about is the blade falling out of the handle one day. Or the blade snapping off at the top of the handle, because itā€™s so thin.

No, thank you.

These are my kind of knives!

It will, maybe, if people will pay that? Thatā€™s ā€œthe market,ā€ surely? :grinning:

1 Like

Maybe we donā€™t clean so often, but once I hid a box of candies from the children at the very top of the kitchen. Then I forgot about it, and when I remembered, I saw that it already had a thick layer of dust and grease particles on it.

1 Like

It seems like the children, AND you ended up learning a lesson from that. haha

Yeah, thereā€™s no escape from cleaning. No matter what storage option you choose for your kitchen, you have to put in some effort.

1 Like