What's cooking?

There are still people who prefer a simple life, even though the world has flown into capitalism. Because of capitalism, it’s hard to live a simple life because you need income to survive. Therefore, you have to join the rat race to support yourself and your family. I would rather have a simple life than the hustle and bustle of everyday life.

Moreover, if you were born into this lifestyle, it would be much easier to live than if you were born in a capitalist city.

1 Like

A WHOLE LAMB COOKED IN THE MOST ANCIENT WAY ON A FIRE WITH A CRISPY CRUST - AFRICAN VILLAGE COOKING.

Lamb Kavurma: The Cooking Once - Eat Whole Winter

3 Likes

Interesting. Did you see how they switch from wood to charcoal? Charcoal burns twice as slow, as per google.

Can you imagine that woman as your mother?? That woman looks like she doesn’t play games.

If she says ¨brush your teeth and go to bed¨, you’d better do it.

She certainly knows how to handle that butcher knife. It takes practice handling a knife that big.

I’m surprised she fried that lamb. I was expecting her to preserve it via smoke. That’s a lot of oil, dude. I’m just gonna guess that it wasn’t avocado oil.

2 Likes

It’s time to talk about…

No, not sour cream, silly. YOGURT!

I enjoy yogurt. As a kid, I used to eat the yogurt that was jacked with enough sugar to give a horse the jitters. AND I used to add sugar it!

As an adult I’m more health conscious. Nowadays, I go for only one brand. Always.

I like the whole milk version because of the taste. Lots of healthy fat. When I have yogurt, I put bran (for fiber), mixed nuts, fresh fruit, and granola. Most recently I threw some cranberries in there.

I’ve seen a few videos about how to make yogurt. People talk about using yogurt as a starter, to make more yogurt. I started to wonder ¨if yogurt is used to make more yogurt, then where does the original yogurt come from?!¨

Then I came across yogurt starters. Kinda like yeast, I guess?
imagen

3 Likes

Several countries use a lot of oil, salt or sugar in their food, and their people live for a very long time, I have heard stories about people who move to these countries and try to eat like the locals and ended up with a massive stroke or a heart attack because of the high oil, salt or sugar content in their food. It is best to be cautious when eating like the locals, as it may cause you health problems or death.

1 Like

Yeah, man. Japanese people love ramen, and often drink most of the broth. At home, I always throw the broth away because it’s 70% of your daily sodium intake value. Yet, those guys are drinking it. That’s a recipe for high blood pressure. Yet, they don’t seem so worried about it at all.

And in Turkey, their sweets have soooo much sugar. Baklava sits in a sugary syrup. As do so many of their other desserts. When I see videos of other countries’ foods, I wonder if I can even eat it.

You’re right. Best to be cautious. The last place I wanna visit while traveling is the hospital.

2 Likes

I used to eat yogurt regularly with fruits like strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, or blackberries.

I stopped eating yogurt when I discovered raw milk kefir.

I would make my own raw milk kefir if I had a local source for raw milk, but I’m fine with the raw milk kefir available at Sprout’s grocery for now.

1 Like

I didn’t know what that was until your post. Apparently, it has way more probiotics than yogurt. That’s interesting.

How did you find out about kefir? And what made you start making your own?

I learned about it from this website:
Home - The Weston A. Price Foundation (westonaprice.org)

I used to listen to their podcast daily until I got what I needed out of it and applied it in my life.

I meant to say I would like to start making my own. I haven’t actually made my own kefir yet, but I want to so I could have better quality.

I used to live in a farm doing volunteer work there. There’s nothing like eating fresh food from the work of your own hands instead of eating food that has been packaged by machines and has been sitting in trucks and storage.

1 Like

haha, same here. I have a long list of things I’d like to do. That includes:

making my own yogurt
imagen

raising a few chickens for fresh eggs

a small garden

a biogas generator for free cooking fuel

recycle grey water
imagen

One life is not enough…

What was that like?

What kind of food?

2 Likes

Isn’t it a Korean dish? I’ve seen in many K-dramas they eat a lot of ramen. and Yes the broth. they love their broth. :joy:

1 Like

Nice! I got into learning about all that stuff around the time I learned about kefir.

The man in this video is doing pretty much everything you want to do. It also shows what life on the farm was like. It goes to 6:44 where he starts talking about how he grows his own food and why he does it.

I did the volunteer work from 2008 to 2009. Our main crop was rice. We also had a garden with vegetables. I don’t remember which vegetables. We ate mostly rice and fish. The farm was near the ocean so there was a lot of fish that we would buy from the local markets.

There were some chickens that we ate, but it was rare. I once got to chop off a chicken’s head while it was still alive. We had cows for dairy. We had fresh milk daily.

When that man said, “All the food we raise here tastes incredible,” and “I can’t imagine not growing food,” I know exactly what he means.

I hope I can create that lifestyle for myself someday.

1 Like

All over Asia they eat ramen, haha. I don’t know the origin. Each Asian country has their own twist on ramen, and their own companies that make instant ramen. I don’t know much about Korea except that they’re serious about their bbq.

But in Japan, they love ramen! Well, then again, who DOESN’T love ramen?!

1 Like

I can’t help but notice you said ¨once. I imagine you didn’t want to do it twice haha.

I don’t blame you. But if you wanna live that life, you gotta do everything right? Or just go to a butcher. I’d have a difficult time adjusting to the task of cutting chickens’ heads off.

This guy said he eats more meat than ever before. How does that work? He freezes it?

That’s cool how they have a water wheel. That was smart to locate themselves downstream so gravity brings them water.

Do you ever get curious about preservation techniques? If you harvest 15kg of garlic, you wanna store it, right? I’m sure there are a few options to choose from. Dry it, roast it, pickle it, freeze it, turn it to powder etc…

I see, my problem was with the terminology, the word Ramen, The curly type of noodles they use, which I’ve heard from korean dramas and series, In japan they just refer to it as Noodles. the uncurly long version of them. I need to do more research :grinning:

Oh yeah, Beef is something they really really into. In many movies, series and even in travel videos they show a lot of street food made from beef.

:slightly_frowning_face: I really wanna try them, we have noodles but never had “Ramen”

1 Like

Are you sure?

imagen

Instant ramen is cheap and delicious!

1 Like

We have different knock-off brands called Maggie and Kottu-Mee but people whose been to korea and have experienced their ramen states that these are not good as them.

It was cheap a while back. but now the prices increased from 3x as before. So not even those are easy to get. It’s plain old noodles for us :grinning:

1 Like

He’s got a fridge, so he probably freezes it. He’s completely off grid and might get electricity from the turbine and solar panels.

I got into fermenting food because it seems to be the simplest method of preservation with the additional benefits of probiotics. There are so many videos on YouTube with people fermenting all kinds of food even meat and liver.

I fermented garlic for the medicinal benefits. I was eating one clove daily like it was a pill. I liked the taste, but I didn’t feel the need to keep using it. I do ferment liver and I eat that daily still.

I used to make my own sauerkraut. It took up some time. It was more convenient to buy it, and I found a good brand that I like.

1 Like

Underground Cooking

2 Likes

Wow. If you had told me about this underground technique, I would’ve thought you were joking.

It’s real!!

1 Like